Cumberbundy

That was special

I really needed to see a pitching performance like this. So many disappointments this season, it's nice to see Bundy come away with a compete game shutout. We've been playing well lately, so I hope this spurs on the rest of the staff.

• Upvote 1

They had no idea what was coming and couldn't recognize his FBs from his cutters. They waited forever on 91mph FBs fearing the 82mph slider. What a performance. That's pitching at its finest. Get him signed!

14 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Bundy - unbelievable. Deserved a no hitter.

Manny + Schoop. Lock the future up. 

Manny, Schoop, Bundy, Hays, Mullins, Mancini, perhaps Beckham

Davis and Jones hanging around

If Gausman starts pulling his weight... yeah, future wouldn't look too bad.

• Upvote 1

Just now, eddie83 said:

Extra days rest. They are going to keep doing it. 

My point is how he says Buck ran him into ground last year and this year. If so they how in the hell has he been so good last month? 

I think Buck has been too slow with the hook for Bundy all year. From pitch 101 onward (prior to tonight), batters are hitting .381 with a .409 OBP and .762 SLG in 22 plate appearances. It was a 4-0 game and the pen wasn't gassed. He didn't need to be out there.

I mean he was on tonight. I think pitch count aside Buck pushed him harder in May then tonight. Buck said in postgame he is going to stay on extra rest. He never labored. 

Just now, 25 Nuggets said:

Manny, Schoop, Bundy, Hays, Mullins, Mancini, perhaps Beckham

Davis and Jones hanging around

If Gausman starts pulling his weight... yeah, future wouldn't look too bad.

That's what I've been saying too, add Santander, Harvey not far behind Perhaps, Long, DJ, RM, Sisco we have a lot of reason for optimism with this core. 

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

I think Buck has been too slow with the hook for Bundy all year. From pitch 101 onward (prior to tonight), batters are hitting .381 with a .409 OBP and .762 SLG in 22 plate appearances. It was a 4-0 game and the pen wasn't gassed. He didn't need to be out there.

But tonight he never labored. Never. I agree earlier in year. I mean not all nights are the same  have to wonder if his grandmothers death played a role as well. 

Law is smart but also a know it all. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I mean he was on tonight. I think pitch count aside Buck pushed him harder in May then tonight. Buck said in postgame he is going to stay on extra rest. He never labored. 

I definitely agree that the times in May were more egregious than tonight, as he was laboring more then. But I would have pulled him after 8 and certainly after the HBP. He is too important to the future to try to reach back for something extra on his 110th+ pitch in a 4-0 game in August.

Did anyone else notice this about Manny's ABs?

Comes up with 2-out and Beckham on 1st. Beckham gets thrown out trying to steal. Manny leads off next inning with a home run.

Next time, comes up with 2 out and Gentry on 1st. Gentry gets thrown out trying to steal. Manny leads off next inning with a home run.

I doubt I've ever seen that before.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, joelala said:

I only saw the last inning, but am elated right now.  Did he just have all of his pitches and perfect location all night?  How much did the D help him out?  What an amazing stat-line.  Wish I'd been able to watch it!

Yes, he was dominant.   Very few hard hit balls, that one to Schoop in the shift late in the game might have been the hardest all day.

He didn't rely on the defense much.  A few decent plays, no real spectacular plays.   Beckham made two errors behind him actually.

The single was a bunt back to Bundy that he couldn't handle.

Best pitched game by an Oriole in many years.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say it was special.  Only the 14th game score of 100 in a 9 inning game.

That's like, a smaller number than the number of perfect games.  O.o

How far back are they going?