Sign in to follow this  
1968_bills_fan

Are the Spankees starting to choke?

MLB news has an interesting quote from the evil empire's manager after their double loss to the Indians......

".......Bauer hurled six solid innings in Cleveland's 2-1, Game 1 victory to set up Merritt, who limited New York to a run on five hits over 5 1/3 frames in Game 2. It marked the Indians' first sweep of three or more games in The Bronx since April 7-9, 1989.................................The victory improved the Indians' American League Central lead to 7 1/2 games over the Twins, who are hosting the White Sox on Wednesday night. The Yankees trail the Red Sox by five games in the AL East, pending the outcome of Boston's contest with the Blue Jays, but they continue to lead for the first AL Wild Card spot.''''''''''''''''''''''

"We're in charge of our own destiny. We have to win games," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "It's impossible not to look at the scores. It's right there. I'd have to really have my head in the sand not to see the scores of games. We have to worry about ourselves."............................"

When they admit that they are looking over their shoulder and gulping,  and that is a good sign. 

They have 7 games against us and 4 against the Red Sox and 3 against the Twins.    

We have 7 games against the Yankees, 3 against the red suks and 3 against the Indians.

There is a lot of reason for hope !!

The Twins are fighting for a wild card game but the Indians are 7 games ahead in their division and might be coasting into the playoffs.  We can control our destiny against the yankees and might even have a slight advantage in other games against the better teams.

Edited by 1968_bills_fan

7 days from now we'll know a lot more about our position vs. the Yankees.    They had a team OPS of .827 in their first 65 games, but only .717 since then.    Let's hope they don't wake up anytime soon.  

7 minutes ago, 1968_bills_fan said:

MLB news has an interesting quote from the evil empire's manager after their double loss to the Indians......

".......Bauer hurled six solid innings in Cleveland's 2-1, Game 1 victory to set up Merritt, who limited New York to a run on five hits over 5 1/3 frames in Game 2. It marked the Indians' first sweep of three or more games in The Bronx since April 7-9, 1989.................................The victory improved the Indians' American League Central lead to 7 1/2 games over the Twins, who are hosting the White Sox on Wednesday night. The Yankees trail the Red Sox by five games in the AL East, pending the outcome of Boston's contest with the Blue Jays, but they continue to lead for the first AL Wild Card spot.''''''''''''''''''''''

"We're in charge of our own destiny. We have to win games," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "It's impossible not to look at the scores. It's right there. I'd have to really have my head in the sand not to see the scores of games. We have to worry about ourselves."............................"

When they admit that they are looking over their shoulder and gulping,  and that is a good sign. 

They have 7 games against us and 4 against the Red Sox and 3 against the Twins.    

We have 7 games against the Yankees, 3 against the red suks and 3 against the Indians.

There is a lot of reason for hope !!

The Twins are fighting for a wild card game but the Indians are 7 games ahead in their division and might be coasting into the playoffs.  We can control our destiny against the yankees and might even have a slight advantage in other games against the better teams.

Yep, the media makes so much fuss over NY AND Boston.  I think they can both wobble.  Yep.  That's right.  7.5 games to the top.  Let em look over their shoulders.  There is a big Orange Bird a coming!!!!

6 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

I'm not buying the Yankees are starting to choke, they just played arguabally the best team in the AL while the twins get to collect easy wins against James Shields and Derek Holland.

Yankees are 13-15 overall in the month of August.   Not terrible but definitely a pretty big difference from the pace they were on before.

I don't think they're choking, they're just regressing to who they actually are.  They had about 5-6 guys hitting well above career norms earlier in the year, not to mention that the league seems to have figured out Judge a bit.  Eventually they were going to cool off.  Be interesting to see how they end the season.  I know they've killed us at their place, so the series we have coming up against them in NY will be interesting.

8 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Yankees are 13-15 overall in the month of August.   Not terrible but definitely a pretty big difference from the pace they were on before.

The Orioles were 13-16 last August, and also 12-14 in July.  I'm not sure I'd say it was because they were choking, though.    

o

The Orioles have had about 17 lives during the 2017 season, and their latest 7-game winning streak makes it about 18. They have had numerous crushing losses that they have bounced back from, and a major portion of the season in which their starting pitching was historically bad ........ yet here they are as the month of September approaches, right in the thick of the American League Wildcard race.

I'm not going to make any (overall) negative assumptions about the Yankees' 2017 season based on 4 or 5 weeks weeks of sub-par baseball. They may or may not be choking, but I don't believe that there will be any way to know that until after the fact.

o

11 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

oThe Orioles have had about 17 lives during the 2017 season, and their latest 7-game winning streak makes it about 18. 

o

Then the Orioles must have 2 cats in their 2017 pet calendar. 

Get it? :D

• Thanks 1

Yes the Yankees are choking. Playing less than .500 ball in the last month. 

We just won 7 in a row, despite having 2 of the worst pitchers in the league start. 

I feel a change in the wind.

Forget Minnesota. Let's pass the Yanks.