Jump to content
weams

Austin Hays

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Watching Hays a lot this week, including in person on Saturday night, I'm kind've of the view that a little AAA time would help polish him up.     I think he could survive in MLB as of now, but he'd benefit from seeing more experienced pitchers and working a bit more on his defense.

Do you think the O's have anyone better than Hays to play right field?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Tell me then what other team with any hope of competing would start a guy with a 180+ game track record of being at or below replacement level.  

For 35 games? Happens all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Buck/Dan think Austin is the best option in RF to start the season, expect to see him out there.  

I rather promote him in May and get that extra year of service time, but this isn't their MO.  Schoop was the opening day 2B in 2014 and was less ready than Hays.  

Hays is your opening day RF in 2017 unless new management is brought in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest concern is his plate discipline. I think defensively he will make some errors but his arm and range should make up for it, especially compared to what we have been running out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Watching Hays a lot this week, including in person on Saturday night, I'm kind've of the view that a little AAA time would help polish him up.     I think he could survive in MLB as of now, but he'd benefit from seeing more experienced pitchers and working a bit more on his defense.

 

16 hours ago, wildcard said:

Do you think the O's have anyone better than Hays to play right field?

Really not the point. He should be polished/have a little more experience. Guys at AAA have experience and it would benefit him. And there's the service time to consider.

They've made due with Trumbo out there for a while under the guise of putting the best defensive team in the field, another month or two won't kill them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

 

Really not the point. He should be polished/have a little more experience. Guys at AAA have experience and it would benefit him. And there's the service time to consider.

They've made due with Trumbo out there for a while under the guise of putting the best defensive team in the field, another month or two won't kill them.

You never know.  If this is a WC at best team a month may in fact be enough to keep them out of the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You never know.  If this is a WC at best team a month may in fact be enough to keep them out of the playoffs.

I'm not really factoring service time into my thinking.    If Hays is the best option, he should be up.   But whether Hays is ready could influence the team in deciding whether to bring in some cheap, experienced OF's to buy Hays some time.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I'm not really factoringw service time into my thinking.    If Hays is the best option, he should be up.   But whether Hays is ready could influence the team in deciding whether to bring in some cheap, experienced OF's to buy Hays some time.   

Nor was I, but it would be a nice benefit of him getting a little more seasoning at Norfolk. Bringing in cheap experienced help in the OF until Hays is ready is prudent thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I'm not really factoring service time into my thinking.    If Hays is the best option, he should be up.   But whether Hays is ready could influence the team in deciding whether to bring in some cheap, experienced OF's to buy Hays some time.   

Sure, I'm fine with them bringing in someone that won't kill us and will step aside when needed.

But I'm still not a huge believer in the necessity of AAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I'm not really factoring service time into my thinking.    If Hays is the best option, he should be up.   But whether Hays is ready could influence the team in deciding whether to bring in some cheap, experienced OF's to buy Hays some time.   

How many outfielders can they bring to camp? Jones, Mancini, Hays, Santander, Gentry, Rickard, Stewart, Mullins, Rifaela, oh and Trumbo.   That's ten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wildcard said:

How many outfielders can they bring to camp? Jones, Mancini, Hays, Santander, Gentry, Rickard, Stewart, Mullins, Rifaela, oh and Trumbo.   That's ten.

After the first four, I'm not real interested in seeing any of them in the O's outfield next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ripken said:

After the first four, I'm not real interested in seeing any of them in the O's outfield next year.

I seem like the only one who likes Stewart on the board, just wait till you see him play, he'll surprise you.

 

Other than that I agree with you. Mullins might be ready at some point next year, but probably needs more time in the minors. Rifaela definitely isn't ready and isn't a lock to ever see the majors, he's got a good bit of developing to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I seem like the only one who likes Stewart on the board, just wait till you see him play, he'll surprise you.

 

Other than that I agree with you. Mullins might be ready at some point next year, but probably needs more time in the minors. Rifaela definitely isn't ready and isn't a lock to ever see the majors, he's got a good bit of developing to do.

I like what I have seen and heard this year.

I think folks are hung up on his reported lack of arm strength.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I seem like the only one who likes Stewart on the board, just wait till you see him play, he'll surprise you.

I like him, and I like the fact that you like him, since you actually watch the games a good bit.   I fully expect him to be a decent major league player, though maybe not until 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I like what I have seen and heard this year.

I think folks are hung up on his reported lack of arm strength.

His arm is good enough for LF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...