Frobby

The interleague play thread

Even though I firmly believe it's BS that AL teams have to let their pitcher hit in NL ballparks, it's hard to argue that it's a greater disadvantage than not having an extra ML starter to plug into the lineup in AL ballparks. 

This spring Clay Davenport added translations from a slew of foreign leagues, but the most interesting part to me was the end.

http://claydavenport.com/archives/377

AAA rated around 75-80% as good as MLB, but within MLB, the American League was more than 10% better.

I do think Dan and Buck are enough AL chauvinists that they look at the Davies-type guys and aren't as bothered as most of us because they believe they wouldn't be as good in our division.  They probably even look at Arrieta that way.

• Thanks 2

With the season more than 2/3 over, the NL is threatening to break the AL’s stranglehold on interleague play.   Currently the NL leads 116-98.   135 wins is the break even point and the AL would have to go 38-18 from here to prevail in interleague play, 37-19 to tie.    That’s pretty unlikely.    

The Orioles, Twins, Rays and White Sox are a combined 23-48 in interleague play.    The good news for the AL is that the White Sox only have one interleague game left to play and the three other teams have no interleague games remaining.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

With the season more than 2/3 over, the NL is threatening to break the AL’s stranglehold on interleague play.   Currently the NL leads 116-98.   135 wins is the break even point and the AL would have to go 38-18 from here to prevail in interleague play, 37-19 to tie.    That’s pretty unlikely.    

The Orioles, Twins, Rays and White Sox are a combined 23-48 in interleague play.    The good news for the AL is that the White Sox only have one interleague game left to play and the three other teams have no interleague games remaining.

We have two games against the Mets. 

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

At least we still have the All Star Game !!!

o

It's been complete 180-degree turn since I was a kid in the 70's and early 80's (I was born in October of 1965.)

The sun would rise in the East, set in the West, and the National League was going to win the All-Star game.

o

5 hours ago, atomic said:

We have two games against the Mets. 

You’re right.   Apparently I was asleep in 2013 when they increased the number of interleague games for each team from 18 to 20.    So, my calculations in my prior post about the remaining games were all wrong.    It takes 151 wins to win intraleague play.   The AL would need to go 53-33 the rest of the way in interleague play to win, 52-34 to tie.  That’s a big challenge, but not as hard as going 38-18 or 37-19.   The Orioles, Royals and Twins each play 2 more intraleague games and the White Sox play 3.    

The NL clinched their first overall win in intraleague play sometime recently.   They lead 155-140 with 5 intraleague contests left.  

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

The NL clinched their first overall win in intraleague play sometime recently.   They lead 155-140 with 5 intraleague contests left.  

It's because the Orioles. Isn't it?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, weams said:

It's because the Orioles. Isn't it?

Orioles were 7-13 in Interleague play.   So we didn't help but there were some other bad teams too apparently.   Royals are 4-14 with 2 to go,  so you could make the argument that without the two of us..........

• Upvote 1

Looks like the NL will win interleague play for the second straight year.    They’re ahead 130-109 at present.    

I had to change the thread title, which was about the AL winning for 14 straight seasons.    They’re now the ones on a losing streak.    The fact that the three worst teams in MLB are in the AL doesn’t help:

BAL 5-10

DET 5-15

KCR 6-9

However, even excluding its three worst teams, the AL still has a slightly losing record.