Jump to content
eddie83

Expansion/Realignment

Recommended Posts

Would love this. Not at all married to the traditional AL East. I actively avoid going to games at Camden Yards when the O's play any division opponent other than Tampa. The fans piss me off too much for me to want to spend money.

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Would love this. Not at all married to the traditional AL East. I actively avoid going to games at Camden Yards when the O's play any division opponent other than Tampa. The fans piss me off too much for me to want to spend money.

But ownership isn't going to want to give up the attendance boost that having the Red sox and Yankees in the division gives him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of moving to 32 teams and it seems pretty certain that will be happening. I'm more skeptical of dissolving the AL/NL.  My favorite option would be two eight-team East and West divisions in each league. Let the two division winners get the byes into the division series and four wild cards in each league play a three game series in the higher seeded team's city to earn their way in.

I think there's some flavor in the league separation that MLB and NFL uses, and it's more interesting to me than the Eastern/Western Conferences used by the NHL and NBA. That's why I don't prefer total geographic realignment, though I won't be surprised if it's what they do. And if it happens, we'll get used to it pretty quick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I like the idea of moving to 32 teams and it seems pretty certain that will be happening. I'm more skeptical of dissolving the AL/NL.  My favorite option would be two eight-team East and West divisions in each league. Let the two division winners get the byes into the division series and four wild cards in each league play a three game series in the higher seeded team's city to earn their way in.

I think there's some flavor in the league separation that MLB and NFL uses, and it's more interesting to me than the Eastern/Western Conferences used by the NHL and NBA. That's why I don't prefer total geographic realignment, though I won't be surprised if it's what they do. And if it happens, we'll get used to it pretty quick. 

Part of the purpose is to minimize travel, so geographically aligned divisions will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would the Nationals be playing more competitive teams in the proposed division? The same motley bunch they currently play would be included except for the Mets and they add Pttisburgh, Tampa, Cincy and us. 

If you have an "eastern" division that has to include the New York teams and Boston.

Edited by Fuzzball22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Forgot divisions. Balanced schedule. Best eight teams make the playoffs. Play each other according to seeding by record.

The problem with a balanced schedule is that a lot more travel involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going from 9 or 10 Yankees and Red Sox games to 3 Yankee and Red Sox games every other year? The Orioles are not going to sign on for that. Huge revenue hit there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But ownership isn't going to want to give up the attendance boost that having the Red sox and Yankees in the division gives him.

Absolutely true, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vab said:

Going from 9 or 10 Yankees and Red Sox games to 3 Yankee and Red Sox games every other year? The Orioles are not going to sign on for that. Huge revenue hit there.

But wouldnt having the nats, phils, and pirates who are all closer than ny and boston offset that at least partly?  Lots of fans in the i95 corridor (and i70 corridor in the case of the bucs) would turn out even if both teams arent that good.  You're effectively doubling your market size for games against those 3 teams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...