Jump to content
Frobby

Assume we don’t trade Manny and he walks

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Your numbers are meaningless. SSS. In a full season he would make fewer. He's moving off 6 years at 3B. He would take some time to readjust. But he is an all around better fielder than Beckham.

The way the Orioles shift around, Manny has spent plenty of time positioned at SS.    I don’t think it would take him long at all to adjust.    But he’s not going to be the rangiest SS in the world.    Nether was Cal.

Roch said on Wall to Wall Baseball that he thinks Manny is more ambivalent about returning to SS due to the extra wear and tear, but (he thinks) Manny wants to be able to market himself at both positions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The way the Orioles shift around, Manny has spent plenty of time positioned at SS.    I don’t think it would take him long at all to adjust.    But he’s not going to be the rangiest SS in the world.    Nether was Cal.

Roch said on Wall to Wall Baseball that he thinks Manny is more ambivalent about returning to SS due to the extra wear and tear, but (he thinks) Manny wants to be able to market himself at both positions.  

I think Manny could be a well above average SS, certainly more consistent than Beckham. Then he could switch back to 3B eventually.  Win win for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I'm not non stop negative. I was skeptical about his defense. It's a little better than I expected, but needs a lot of work He has the tools but I'm not sure he has the focus and baseball IQ. I like his bat.

I don't even like his bat. Another swing n' miss guy on a team full of them. His arm is crazy erratic and its obvious he isn't going to hit. He sandwiched his monster August, by less hitting less than .200 in the other month prior and after. Inconsistency does not win championships. 

On top of that, it was a chance for Duquette to inject a little OBP into this lineup. He certainly didn't accomplish that with Beckham.

My opinion, Beckham will NOT start for the O's in 18'. He will be the utility inf or traded. If I am wrong and he starts, he won''t finish the season as a starter. Just my opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

I don't even like his bat. Another swing n' miss guy on a team full of them. His arm is crazy erratic and its obvious he isn't going to hit. He sandwiched his monster August, by less hitting less than .200 in the other month prior and after. Inconsistency does not win championships. 

On top of that, it was a chance for Duquette to inject a little OBP into this lineup. He certainly didn't accomplish that with Beckham.

My opinion, Beckham will NOT start for the O's in 18'. He will be the utility inf or traded. If I am wrong and he starts, he won''t finish the season as a starter. Just my opinion.

Totally agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the team is not contending at the deadline and he has not been resigned long term, I think he has to be traded.

The future of the team has to be taken into consideration at some point. If Manny is not signed long term and plays out the season, I think we all know he turns down the QO and walks. If we are not in contention IMO he has to be traded for the best package available at the deadline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a Manny Deal looks like

Quote

2017 NL MVP Giancarlo Stanton, Craig Edwards of Fangraphs took a close look at the value of the Marlins outfielder’s opt-out clause, and how it might suppress his trade value. It’s well-known by now that after the 2020 season, Stanton will have the power to opt out of the remaining seven years and $218MM left on his contract to pursue a new deal. Edwards examines scenarios in which Stanton ages well, normally and poorly, estimating his contract’s potential surplus (or dearth of) value in each instance based on projected WAR output. The obvious conclusion is that Stanton’s opt-out clause negatively impacts his trade value. He would be highly likely to opt out if he ages well or even normally, limiting the value he’d provide to his new team in each case. However, if he ages poorly, he’d most likely opt into the remaining seven years on the contract; in such a case he’d provide negative surplus value over the life of the ten years with his new team. The piece uses a series of charts to make a case. It’s a fascinating read from beginning to end, shedding light on the unique risk teams face in deciding upon the prospect value they’re willing to give up for a player who gets to choose whether to be with them for three years or for an entire decade.

 

MLBTR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manny walks or will be resigned. DD is not going to dump him.

That is not my opinion of what he should do.

That is my opinion on what he will do.

There is a difference.

If Manny walks with nothing in return, OH is going to be an ugly place to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Manny walks or will be resigned. DD is not going to dump him.

That is not my opinion of what he should do.

That is my opinion on what he will do.

There is a difference.

If Manny walks with nothing in return, OH is going to be an ugly place to be.

This kind of reminds me of the scene in Austin Powers where a steamroller comes at someone at about 2 mph and and he can’t get out of the way.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Manny walks or will be resigned. DD is not going to dump him.

That is not my opinion of what he should do.

That is my opinion on what he will do.

There is a difference.

If Manny walks with nothing in return, OH is going to be an ugly place to be.

I think he'll be traded only if we're really out of it in late July. Like basement, 10+ games under .500, 10+ games out of WC spot out of it. Five games out but behind seven teams won't count. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

I think he'll be traded only if we're really out of it in late July. Like basement, 10+ games under .500, 10+ games out of WC spot out of it. Five games out but behind seven teams won't count. 

DD has said numerous times that he doesn't like trading away a player who you dont think you can keep, as you dont get anything in return normally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to just offer Manny 10/300 and stop messing around.  Just stagger it so it doesn't start hitting big until after AJ, Trumbo, and O'day come off the books.  

At this point get creative.  Promise Manny that he can play SS and lock up Schoop too.  Sell him on the idea of he and Schoop being a double play combo for a long time.  

I say pay Manny and let him relax.  He's been a team guy so far to play 3rd.  Some of the best 3rd of all time.  Give him is big payday and the position he wants to play.  Plus bat him 3rd.  Sell him on the idea that he's going to be able to play with his boy Schoop, at the position he wants, and be able to go down as one of the greatest SS's ever.  That's the type of sell job it's going to take to keep him away from the NYY.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We need to just offer Manny 10/300 and stop messing around.  Just stagger it so it doesn't start hitting big until after AJ, Trumbo, and O'day come off the books.  

At this point get creative.  Promise Manny that he can play SS and lock up Schoop too.  Sell him on the idea of he and Schoop being a double play combo for a long time.  

I say pay Manny and let him relax.  He's been a team guy so far to play 3rd.  Some of the best 3rd of all time.  Give him is big payday and the position he wants to play.  Plus bat him 3rd.  Sell him on the idea that he's going to be able to play with his boy Schoop, at the position he wants, and be able to go down as one of the greatest SS's ever.  That's the type of sell job it's going to take to keep him away from the NYY.  

I'm now imaging that I'm in an alternative timeline where the Orioles front office and ownership would be this forward thinking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We need to just offer Manny 10/300 and stop messing around.  Just stagger it so it doesn't start hitting big until after AJ, Trumbo, and O'day come off the books.  

At this point get creative.  Promise Manny that he can play SS and lock up Schoop too.  Sell him on the idea of he and Schoop being a double play combo for a long time.  

I say pay Manny and let him relax.  He's been a team guy so far to play 3rd.  Some of the best 3rd of all time.  Give him is big payday and the position he wants to play.  Plus bat him 3rd.  Sell him on the idea that he's going to be able to play with his boy Schoop, at the position he wants, and be able to go down as one of the greatest SS's ever.  That's the type of sell job it's going to take to keep him away from the NYY.  

I disagree. Manny is great at 3rd. Why open up a hole at 3rd? I think Beckham is pretty good at SS. I want Manny to stay an Oriole. But if the FO has to give Manny extra inticements then let him go. The O's come first not Manny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I disagree. Manny is great at 3rd. Why open up a hole at 3rd? I think Beckham is pretty good at SS. I want Manny to stay an Oriole. But if the FO has to give Manny extra inticements then let him go. The O's come first not Manny. 

Who is Tim Beckham?  What's he ever proven?  He's not some established MLB SS.  

It's just like two years ago when Hardy got hurt.  Buck wanted to play Flaherty at SS, and Manny said No, that he watned to win.  Manny at SS is what is best for the O's.  

Make Manny happy.  Who cares about Beckham?  Manny has been a team player and played out of position for 5+ seasons.  If Manny wants to play SS, and that helps him sign an extension, then Manny is your SS going forward.  

Beckham can try and play 3rd, COF, or be the Util guy.  I'm wouldn't want the FO to lose Manny because we were worried about Bex.  Some dude that just had a 6 week hot streak that he'll never come close to again ever in his career.  

The offseason is about taking a step back and being real.  Beckham isn't entrenched at SS.  You could sell Manny on winning and not replacing JJ Hardy, but Tim freaking Beckham.  C'mon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Who is Tim Beckham?  What's he ever proven?  He's not some established MLB SS.  

It's just like two years ago when Hardy got hurt.  Buck wanted to play Flaherty at SS, and Manny said No, that he watned to win.  Manny at SS is what is best for the O's.  

Make Manny happy.  Who cares about Beckham?  Manny has been a team player and played out of position for 5+ seasons.  If Manny wants to play SS, and that helps him sign an extension, then Manny is your SS going forward.  

Beckham can try and play 3rd, COF, or be the Util guy.  I'm wouldn't want the FO to lose Manny because we were worried about Bex.  Some dude that just had a 6 week hot streak that he'll never come close to again ever in his career.  

The offseason is about taking a step back and being real.  Beckham isn't entrenched at SS.  You could sell Manny on winning and not replacing JJ Hardy, but Tim freaking Beckham.  C'mon.  

You’re guessing at what Manny wants, and frankly, what he wants is secondary to what’s best for the team.   If Buck decides, from a baseball standpoint, that Manny at SS is our best alignment, I’m fine with that, but I see no reason why Manny’s feelings come into this unless he’s signed a long-term deal and that has been part of the discussion.    

My personal opinion is that Beckham at SS, Manny at 3B is our best alignment.    But that’s for Buck to decide.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...