Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Orioles 2017 Top 30 Prospects

15 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Brallan Perez was on my personal list but didn’t make the cut for the site list.

Are you ok with his replacement?

57 minutes ago, weams said:

Are you ok with his replacement?

If you mean did the Orioles get more talent in the rule 5 draft than they lost in Perez, then yes.  It was an unforced error losing Perez by the O's staff in my opinion though.  I mean maybe I'm just really wrong about the guy, but I can't imagine they couldn't have protected him from the minor league portion of the rule 5 draft.

4 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

If you mean did the Orioles get more talent in the rule 5 draft than they lost in Perez, then yes.  It was an unforced error losing Perez by the O's staff in my opinion though.  I mean maybe I'm just really wrong about the guy, but I can't imagine they couldn't have protected him from the minor league portion of the rule 5 draft.

I thought we brought back a catcher at the AAA phase. Do you know anything about him?

Just now, weams said:

I thought we brought back a catcher at the AAA phase. Do you know anything about him?

Catcher depth Org guy most likely, not at all comparable IMO. 24 in A+ ball,  haven't watched him but also haven't heard anything about him and striking out 23% of the time and being old for his level with middling power, it doesn't look particularly promising.  

There is a decent human interest story though.... https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sunday-notes-clevelands-czech-almoras-maturity-norris-on-comping-vladdy-jr-more/

That catcher was depth. That's it. Similar to Mercedes, he was depth only. So it evened out.

Losing Perez might not hurt in the long run, but it is surprising to see him go after a good half season in the trade.

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

It sounds like he has so many different looks that if his deception/disruption works at all, it might work more than one time through, because the hitters never quite getting the same look twice.    

The major leaguer he sounds like is the old man version of Luis Tiant.   Hitters had no idea what he was going to do next.  

Perhaps, I honestly don't know. He'll be an interesting guy to watch pitch this spring.

16 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

You are literally the only guy that like Perez. lol. Even his mother doesn't think he's a prospect. HAHA

I'm just busting your balls a little. I never saw the guy but literally some of the comments I got was "Terrible" and "awful" when it came to his defense, and with no power and speed, his ability to get on base will be his only calling card and most think it won't work at higher levels.

The best thing about this is either you are going to be very right and have a nice little story or he'll be that guy you will remember to not be fooled by in the future. 

By the way, I think there may have been some off field things as well. The Orioles literally protected Ryan Ripken over him so that says something.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You are literally the only guy that like Perez. lol. Even his mother doesn't think he's a prospect. HAHA

I'm just busting your balls a little. I never saw the guy but literally some of the comments I got was "Terrible" and "awful" when it came to his defense, and with no power and speed, his ability to get on base will be his only calling card and most think it won't work at higher levels.

The best thing about this is either you are going to be very right and have a nice little story or he'll be that guy you will remember to not be fooled by in the future. 

By the way, I think there may have been some off field things as well. The Orioles literally protected Ryan Ripken over him so that says something.

Haha, he wasn't the only one to like Perez. Some idiot named "Joey" did too.

He didn't have power, but he did have some good speed and an amazing knowledge of the strike zone. He was good with poking the ball for a hit. His defense wasn't "terrible," but was on par with A+ ball. 

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I’m probably wrong about him, but to play devils advocate let’s say from a scouting perspective he’s absolutely terrible, it still makes zero sense to protect a 23/24 year old 1B who struck 27% of the time in short season ball over a 21 year old 2B who you just traded for and proceeded to walk 3x as much as he struck out at an age appropriate level (SSS of course).  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Wish someone had know this about Perez before we gave up something to get him. You're suppose to scout the guy before you get him, not after.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wish someone had know this about Perez before we gave up something to get him. You're suppose to scout the guy before you get him, not after.

I think the truth of the matter is they don't put much thought into what they get from trading international slots.  I thought finally they had stumbled into a decent acquisition and then they don't protect him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Damien Magnifico.

That turned out REAL well for them. 

21 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I’m probably wrong about him, but to play devils advocate let’s say from a scouting perspective he’s absolutely terrible, it still makes zero sense to protect a 23/24 year old 1B who struck 27% of the time in short season ball over a 21 year old 2B who you just traded for and proceeded to walk 3x as much as he struck out at an age appropriate level (SSS of course).  

You will get no argument from me that Perez should have been protected over Ripken. There has to be some off field things that led to this because even if you don't like Perez as a prospect, he seems to be a guy who can help your system.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:47 PM, RZNJ said:

From what I was told, The analytics department picked Perez without anyone checking about him from the player development or scouting side. It's one of the things that Duquette does and how they end up with so many players that people scratch their heads over when he trades away his international slot money.

• Upvote 2

On 12/21/2017 at 3:01 PM, Tony-OH said:

From what I was told, The analytics department picked Perez without anyone checking about him from the player development or scouting side. It's one of the things that Duquette does and how they end up with so many players that people scratch their heads over when he trades away his international slot money.

Sounds like organizational ineptitude.  It's a small pair of moves, but they can't keep operating that way.