Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Orioles 2017 Top 30 Prospects

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Thats Baseball said:

Buck and the front office guys (sounds like a music group) saying that [Mullins] is the most big league ready outfielder in their system, including they thought he was going to be the call up in September in 2017. 

Show me where Buck or anyone else in the organization said this.  I certainly don’t remember it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Tony, thanks for the analysis of the prospects.  Great read.   Some questions:

1) What kind of arm does Mullins have?  Is it strong enough to be a starting CF?  

2) Do you think Mullins can beat out Gentry as the 4th OF this spring?   Considering that Jones, Mancini Hays and Santander are on the team to start the season.. Or does Mullins need to begin the year in the minors?

3) Could you talk about lefty John Means?

4) If you think the O's protect Luis Gonzalez then why would he not begin the season at AA?

5) Which of these minor leaguers do you think will not be protected from the Rule 5 draft? Harvey,  Wynns, Hess, Long. Gonzalez, Wilkerson and Means.  Do you think they protect Rifaela?

Thanks Wildcard.

1) Mullins arm is not Adm Jones strong but it plays in center. It's not going to be a plus for him but it won't be negative.

2) I think Mullins is a better overall player than Gentry right now, but the Orioles may want him to play everyday instead of sporadically with the logjam in the OF. If the Orioles could trade Trumbo and move Mancini to DH it would help but I think he starts the year in AAA.

3) Means is a guy who can look like a major leaguer one day then an A-baller the next. His curveball can flash average sometimes and his fastball can reach 94, but is pretty flat and straight. His offspeed including his curveball is just really inconsistent. His command is not very good with anything and that hurts him as well. He was in consideration for the back of the list though. 

4) I think he will. What I meant to say, and perhaps I wasn't clear, that he was kept at Frederick all last year, perhaps because of some off field things rather than a lack of stuff to compete in AA at 25-years old.

5) I would not protect Long, Wilkerson or Means. I'd have to go look at the current 40-man, but I might not protect Hess either if there was a roster crunch. I think Rifaela is too raw and too far away to protect. He doesn't have that kind of upside to be taken in my opinion.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The list only goes to 29.   Who’s no. 30?

Never mind.    The list mistakenly had both Hess and Liranzo at no. 25.    There are 30 names there.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The list only goes to 29.   Who’s no. 30?

Also, any idea where would Tobias Myers have ranked if still in our organization?

Looks like the list has 30 players, but there's a typo where Hess and Liranzo are both listed as #25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It's unclear from the writeup if Sedlock changed his delivery or if the Orioles minor league coaches "remade" his delivery.   Diminished velocity and forearm/flexor mass injuries.   Rick Peterson is gone.   If it's the Orioles coaches, who made the call?     

 

Luis Gonzalles must look a lot better than the hard numbers.   He'll be 26 soon and hasn't pitched above A+.    He certainly didn't  dominate A+ as a 25 year old either.    His numbers against LH hitters (.241 average) were nothing special as well.    Why are we worried about someone selecting him and keeping him on a roster all year long.    That's a 3 level jump for a guy who didn't dominate A+ ball.

He changed his delivery working with his own guy this off season. The Orioles tried to get him to fix it but he was reluctant until his results were awful and then was told he bought in a bit. We shall see.

As for Gonzalez, honestly because his numbers were skewwed by a few bad outings and someone might just take a chance with him and stick him in their bullpen. We have him at the end of our list so it's not like we are too excited over him. Saying that, he may have a some left-handed reliever value at some point, but as a multiple inning reliever versus a LOOGY.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Never mind.    The list mistakenly had both Hess and Liranzo at no. 25.    There are 30 names there.   

Sorry about that, I fixed it. It got late last night. haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sorry about that, I fixed it. It got late last night. haha

No problem!    Thanks to everyone for your efforts to put together the list — I’m looking forward to the writeups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I would not protect Long, Wilkerson or Means. I'd have to go look at the current 40-man, but I might not protect Hess either if there was a roster crunch. I think Rifaela is too raw and too far away to protect. He doesn't have that kind of upside to be taken in my opinion.

Currently there are 10 open spots. Need 3 starters (or 2 and a Castro/Bleir combo) and a utility player. Maybe an extra outfielder. That could leave 4/5 spots open if they aren't filled "in house."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks Wildcard.

1) Mullins arm is not Adm Jones strong but it plays in center. It's not going to be a plus for him but it won't be negative.

2) I think Mullins is a better overall player than Gentry right now, but the Orioles may want him to play everyday instead of sporadically with the logjam in the OF. If the Orioles could trade Trumbo and move Mancini to DH it would help but I think he starts the year in AAA.

3) Means is a guy who can look like a major leaguer one day then an A-baller the next. His curveball can flash average sometimes and his fastball can reach 94, but is pretty flat and straight. His offspeed including his curveball is just really inconsistent. His command is not very good with anything and that hurts him as well. He was in consideration for the back of the list though. 

4) I think he will. What I meant to say, and perhaps I wasn't clear, that he was kept at Frederick all last year, perhaps because of some off field things rather than a lack of stuff to compete in AA at 25-years old.

5) I would not protect Long, Wilkerson or Means. I'd have to go look at the current 40-man, but I might not protect Hess either if there was a roster crunch. I think Rifaela is too raw and too far away to protect. He doesn't have that kind of upside to be taken in my opinion.

Personally, I would protect Hess, Means, Long and Wilkerson but not Rifaela.  But I am wrong year after year on this so I think you are probably right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The list only goes to 29.   Who’s no. 30?

Also, any idea where would Tobias Myers have ranked if still in our organization?

I’d have Myers a risky grade 50 which would put him around #12.

He’s similar to Lowther in that he was too advanced for short season hitters.  His youth gives him a bump because his stuff could improve. Right now he has 3 average pitches, which is impressive for a 19 year old.  However none of those pitches flashed plus for me.

I still think personally like Hanifee better (I’m a sucker for a good fastball and athleticism in pitchers) but from a scouting perspective you have to give Myers points for being much closer to a finished product than Hanifee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

The list only goes to 29.   Who’s no. 30?

Also, any idea where would Tobias Myers have ranked if still in our organization?

Myers would have been 11th on the list if he was still in the organization.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Myers would have been 11th on the list if he was still in the organization.

So, above Scott and all the pitchers who were at Aberdeen this year.    That’s pretty high.   It’ll be interesting to see how he develops with Tampa, which is very good at developing young pitchers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

List looks good to me.  Obviously we'll all have some differences.  I've pretty consistently kept Harvey at the top of mine and would again, he's got the highest upside of anyone in the system to me.

Not at all concerned about DL Hall's poor GCL stats in very small sample size, but just worth noting that Harvey has basically breezed through everywhere he's been when healthy.  Let's just hope for a clean year from him next year.

Agree with RZNJ, would like to see some clarification on who changed Sedlock's delivery?  This has to be an area where the Orioles have earned almost no benefit of the doubt.

Check there main forum thread, Tony has some insight on this, in short, it wasn’t the Orioles.  It’s a day and night difference from his college delivery though.

Look how far the pitching arm goes behind his back and how long it hangs out there compared to his college windup.  It looks like he also dropped his arm slot a bit.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...