Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Orioles 2017 Top 30 Prospects

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

So, above Scott and all the pitchers who were at Aberdeen this year.    That’s pretty high.   It’ll be interesting to see how he develops with Tampa, which is very good at developing young pitchers.  

Yeah, me too. I only saw him pitch on video, but I liked how he commanded the ball at such a young age.  The fact that Tampa targeted him didn't hurt his status either as they have a good record of judging pitching prospects. I'm on record that I didn't like giving him up for Beckam because I felt like Tampa was trying to dump Beckam and the Orioles could have given up less to get him than Myers.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, me too. I only saw him pitch on video, but I liked how he commanded the ball at such a young age.  The fact that Tampa targeted him didn't hurt his status either as they have a good record of judging pitching prospects. I'm on record that I didn't like giving him up for Beckam because I felt like Tampa was trying to dump Beckam and the Orioles could have given up less to get him than Myers.

Well, as I recall, you weren’t too high on Beckham, period.    He certainly played better for us than he had with Tampa, even though he was fairly error-prone and didn’t hit very well in September.     Hopefully he’ll play well enough the next three years where we won’t feel that deal was too bad even if Myers eventually pans out (which we probably won’t know until 2021 or later).

This should be an interesting upcoming spring training.  Several farm hands seem to be very close to "breaking thru".  Hays, Sisco, Scott most notably.  A few others like Akin, Mullins, Harvey, Mountcastle are realistically more like 2019.  Two names I will throw at you Bird's fans that really excite me are D.J. Stewart and Grey Fenter.  Stewart, I think is a lot closer to MLB ready than most prospect rankers list him.  I love his bulldog attitude.  He has re-invented his batting stance over the past two seasons and was "raking" at AA this past summer.  With a good spring training don't be surprised to see him make it difficult for the parent club not to bring him north.  Fenter was an absolute great signing by the O's as a high school pitcher in the 2015 Draft.  It took a way over-slot million dollar bonus to get him to sign.  Almost immediate TJ sugery after the signing.  Now he is back healthy and pitching well.  Could move quickly thru the minors--his stuff is that good.  Another 2019 possibility but more likely 2020.  There's hope down on the farm.  Just please DD don't trade it away for AAA depth.

52 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

This should be an interesting upcoming spring training.  Several farm hands seem to be very close to "breaking thru".  Hays, Sisco, Scott most notably.  A few others like Akin, Mullins, Harvey, Mountcastle are realistically more like 2019.  Two names I will throw at you Bird's fans that really excite me are D.J. Stewart and Grey Fenter.  Stewart, I think is a lot closer to MLB ready than most prospect rankers list him.  I love his bulldog attitude.  He has re-invented his batting stance over the past two seasons and was "raking" at AA this past summer.  With a good spring training don't be surprised to see him make it difficult for the parent club not to bring him north.  Fenter was an absolute great signing by the O's as a high school pitcher in the 2015 Draft.  It took a way over-slot million dollar bonus to get him to sign.  Almost immediate TJ sugery after the signing.  Now he is back healthy and pitching well.  Could move quickly thru the minors--his stuff is that good.  Another 2019 possibility but more likely 2020.  There's hope down on the farm.  Just please DD don't trade it away for AAA depth.

I've said more than once before that Stewart is the most MLB ready of the hitting prospects (even Hays, although he's obviously not the prospect Hays is).

Also, Stewart is ranked 6th on the OH list, which I think takes into consideration his major league readiness.

48 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I've said more than once before that Stewart is the most MLB ready of the hitting prospects (even Hays, although he's obviously not the prospect Hays is).

Also, Stewart is ranked 6th on the OH list, which I think takes into consideration his major league readiness.

I think that DJ is being sold short às to his "ceiling".   Dude was a first round draft choice. Not saying that he's gonna be a perrinial all-star.  I just think he will be a solid player at the mlb level. That's just my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

I think that DJ is being sold short às to his "ceiling".   Dude was a first round draft choice. Not saying that he's gonna be a perrinial all-star.  I just think he will be a solid player at the mlb level. That's just my opinion. 

Agree, that's my take on him as well, I think the likely outcome is solid MLB regular.  That's the OH list's take on him too, I think you are mistaking posters who had written him off for the opinion of Tony, Chris, and I who contributed to the list.  Look up what I've written about him this year in the minor's section, I've been singing his praises consistently.

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Agree, that's my take on him as well, I think the likely outcome is solid MLB regular.  That's the OH list's take on him too, I think you are mistaking posters who had written him off for the opinion of Tony, Chris, and I who contributed to the list.  Look up what I've written about him this year in the minor's section, I've been singing his praises consistently.

I think a lot of us were down on him based off the early returns.  I know I expected a high OBP college bat playing at a lower level in the minors to put up better walk and strikeout numbers.

Obviously his recent play has been much better but for some folks the initial disappoint lingers.

I also think folks make way too much of his throwing arm.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think a lot of us were down on him based off the early returns.  I know I expected a high OBP college bat playing at a lower level in the minors to put up better walk and strikeout numbers.

Obviously his recent play has been much better but for some folks the initial disappoint lingers.

I also think folks make way too much of his throwing arm.

There is a difference between being down, disappointed, and writing him off.   Everyone was disappointed.   At the same time, we all knew he was making adjustments with his stance.   Some pretty big adjustments.   He started coming around halfway through his first full season.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There is a difference between being down, disappointed, and writing him off.   Everyone was disappointed.   At the same time, we all knew he was making adjustments with his stance.   Some pretty big adjustments.   He started coming around halfway through his first full season.

I agree.  But some folks did write him off.  Heck some people wrote him off based on the scouting reports when he was drafted.

To be fair scouts hated his batting stance/swing.  I liked his feel for hitting and that he was athletic in the box and would make it work.  I like his stance/swing now much better, and I think you'll see national analysts start to come around to him this offseason once they get recent reports.

6 hours ago, Thats Baseball said:

Thanks for replying.   Buck clearly likes Mullins and said he was the best defensive OF the O’s have in the minors, and later said he was the best leadoff hitter.   But he didn’t say he was the most major league ready or that he would have gotten a call-up this September.   

In any event, I’m sure Mullins will get a long look next spring.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thanks for replying.   Buck clearly likes Mullins and said he was the best defensive OF the O’s have in the minors, and later said he was the best leadoff hitter.   But he didn’t say he was the most major league ready or that he would have gotten a call-up this September.   

I agree that Mullins is the best defensive OF in the system.  I think if the Orioles want Mullins to be a regular in the future he needs more minor league seasoning.  While not as bad as the idea of putting Hunter Harvey in the bullpen, it'd be another example of hurting the future for the small present day benefits.

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

His hamstring issues probably played a part in that. If he had stayed healthy and Hays still had the same season he had, both probably would of been up.

10 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

His hamstring issues probably played a part in that. If he had stayed healthy and Hays still had the same season he had, both probably would of been up.

The fact that Mullins was in a severe tailspin over the last few weeks of Bowie’s season probably didn’t help.    Truth is, the O’s don’t need to put Mullins on the 40-Man roster yet, so he really would have had to make a super-strong case to justify getting called up and hence put on the 40-man a year early.   Hays was an exceptional case.

• Like 1