Sign in to follow this  
mdbdotcom

Could John Hart be our GM in waiting?

17 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

It wouldn't me. Too many people are condemned before there is any proof. 

Your right, too many people are, but in this case I'd pass. It's a tough enough job to be the GM of this team with Angelos as the owner, and to add to that by hiring Hart within a year of the Braves mess IMO would be a big mistake for this franchise going forward. 

9 hours ago, Ruzious said:

He was cleared by MLB, but the fact that he hired Coppy and was his boss - and it was reported that it was well known throughout baseball what Coppy was doing for quite a while... Hart did nothing... and that was the problem.  There's not micro-managing, and there's gross negligence.  I'd call Hart's laziness negligence at best.  He's being let off easy only because he's a likable guy who built up a lot of goodwill in bygone days.  He SHOULD be done in any organized baseball, imo.      

I’m with TX Oriole.    Guilt by association is not an adequate basis to ban Hart for life.    How do we know Hart was aware of rumors about what Coppy was doing?    I’d expect MLB to investigate Hart’s role, and if there’s evidence that he deliberately turned a blind eye to what was going on, then I’d support a ban.    But if it’s merely a case of something that happened to occur without Hart having reason to know or seriously suspect, I think losing his current job is easily punishment enough, and it’s for other teams to judge whether he’s worthy of being hired, not for MLB to dictate.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, billw76 said:

Your right, too many people are, but in this case I'd pass. It's a tough enough job to be the GM of this team with Angelos as the owner, and to add to that by hiring Hart within a year of the Braves mess IMO would be a big mistake for this franchise going forward. 

You may be right. But again I haven't seen anything about a Braves scandal. I don't know and haven't heard what the so called scandal is about. So I don't know if Hart is guilty of anything. I just think he has a good baseball mind. What the O's need. Of course Angelos ties down the hands of his GM. 

12 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

You may be right. But again I haven't seen anything about a Braves scandal. I don't know and haven't heard what the so called scandal is about. So I don't know if Hart is guilty of anything. I just think he has a good baseball mind. What the O's need. Of course Angelos ties down the hands of his GM. 

The long and short of it is the Braves lied about the signing  bonuses they were paying to international amateurs, thus evading the limits set by MLB on such spending.  

4 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

They lied about the bonuses they were giving to international prospects, and promised at least 1 US player other benefits for signing below draft slot. Their GM was just given a lifetime ban the other day.

I haven't seen anything implicating Hart but I wouldn't sign him even if he didn't do anything. 

16 minutes ago, billw76 said:

They lied about the bonuses they were giving to international prospects, and promised at least 1 US player other benefits for signing below draft slot. Their GM was just given a lifetime ban the other day.

I haven't seen anything implicating Hart but I wouldn't sign him even if he didn't do anything. 

Yeah, Hart either knew what was going on or didn't know what was going on.  Either way ain't good.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

The long and short of it is the Braves lied about the signing  bonuses they were paying to international amateurs, thus evading the limits set by MLB on such spending.  

Thanks Frobby. I didn't know that. 

17 minutes ago, weams said:

It's the largest scandal in baseball since collusion. So either way, Hart is done. 

I'd argue that the public becoming aware of the rampant use of PED beats it but yea, it's mighty big.

Much bigger than the hacking scandal.

1 hour ago, weams said:

It's the largest scandal in baseball since collusion. So either way, Hart is done. 

Hacking another team’s scouting database is far worse IMO.    Punishable with a prison sentence.   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hacking another team’s scouting database is far worse IMO.    Punishable with a prison sentence.   

Far worse crime.

I'd say smaller scandal.

Boston, New York, and Toronto stealing signs.  San Diego lying about the health of players they trade.  St. Louis hacking Houston's database.  Atlanta falsifying bonus amounts on international signings.

Whole lotta cheatin' goin' on.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Boston, New York, and Toronto stealing signs.  San Diego lying about the health of players they trade.  St. Louis hacking Houston's database.  Atlanta falsifying bonus amounts on international signings.

4 hours ago, Number5 said:

I always smile when I hear the old baseball adage "if you're not cheating, you're not trying". These organizations are taking it to heart.