Roll Tide

Os requesting offers on Machado

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

And I'm not saying he doesn't have flaws or had a very poor season overall.   That's why you can get him in a one year rental trade.

I think we are pretty much in agreement, I just was trying to say Beckham was better than some are making him out to be.

• Upvote 1

From mlbtr:

• While talking Manny Machado with the Cardinals, the Orioles showed interest in a trio of right-handers – Luke WeaverJack Flaherty and Jordan Hicks – as well as catcher Carson Kelly, Kubatko relays. In acquiring Weaver and Flaherty, the Orioles would accomplish their goal of getting two major league-ready starters for their top player. Of course, it’s questionable whether the Cardinals would even part with one (let alone both) for a single year of Machado. Weaver held his own across 60 1/3 innings last season for the Cards, who may not be in position to lose another starter with free agent Lance Lynn likely set to depart, while Flaherty ranks as MLB.com’s 48th-best prospect.

I don't see how the D-backs can make an offer that good just not much in minor leagues.  I would guess deal around guys like Corbin, Lamb and others but all those guys are older then I would want.

12 minutes ago, dabirds said:

From mlbtr:

• While talking Manny Machado with the Cardinals, the Orioles showed interest in a trio of right-handers – Luke WeaverJack Flaherty and Jordan Hicks – as well as catcher Carson Kelly, Kubatko relays. In acquiring Weaver and Flaherty, the Orioles would accomplish their goal of getting two major league-ready starters for their top player. Of course, it’s questionable whether the Cardinals would even part with one (let alone both) for a single year of Machado. Weaver held his own across 60 1/3 innings last season for the Cards, who may not be in position to lose another starter with free agent Lance Lynn likely set to depart, while Flaherty ranks as MLB.com’s 48th-best prospect.

Fine so you take Flaherty , Hicks, and Helsley. I’m not sure why on Kelly as seem set at catcher. 

Either way for thos Questioning the asking  price Weaver is not a prospect but Flaherty is the Cards #3, Kelly #2, and Hicks is 12-17

5 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

I don't see how the D-backs can make an offer that good just not much in minor leagues.  I would guess deal around guys like Corbin, Lamb and others but all those guys are older then I would want.

Corbin is a fringe starter and Lamb is a poor fielder.... the Diamondbacks are out unless they can get help from another team imo

4 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Godley, Ray, and Walker each have a lot of value and are controllable. Duplantier is a really solid prospect as well.

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Godley, Ray, and Walker each have a lot of value and are controllable. Duplantier is a really solid prospect as well.

Yes.  One of those pitchers and Lamb (although I don't think Lamb is a good fit because of the defense) is something that might get a deal done.    However, the D-Backs are trying to shed some payroll, I believe, so doing something like that for Machado (17M) doesn't exactly accomplish that which is why they probably offered Corbin (6-9M in arb?) and Lamb (4M in 1s year of arb?) instead.

12 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I am never fan of Rice pitchers they seem to have arm issues to often and he has had surgery in college then missed time last year with elbow soreness and some think he is bullpen guy instead of starter.  Ray most likely in untouchable imo.  I do like Walker but not sure he would be available.  They just seem like odd team trying to cut payroll but want Manny.

5 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

I am never fan of Rice pitchers they seem to have arm issues to often and he has had surgery in college then missed time last year with elbow soreness and some think he is bullpen guy instead of starter.  Ray most likely in untouchable imo.  I do like Walker but not sure he would be available.  They just seem like odd team trying to cut payroll but want Manny.

I agree that they aren't a great fit, but I do think they have the necessary pieces if they want to make a strong offer. 

I don't think Corbin is a "finge starter".

Once again, his 2017 stats would have led our rotation in ERA, IP, and rWAR.

He's also a lefty and 28.

I understand those numbers may not look quite as nice in the AL East next year, and I'm not suggesting a Machado for Corbin swap, straight up, but some people are definitely sleeping on this guy. I'd love to have him.

Baseball Reference predicts he'll have a similar season in 2018 to Dylan Bundy, Alex Cobb, and Kevin Gausman. Slightly higher ERA, more IP than Bundy or Cobb.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I understand those numbers may not look quite as nice in the AL East next year, and I'm not suggesting a Machado for Corbin swap, straight up, but some people are definitely sleeping on this guy. I'd love to have him.

Baseball Reference predicts he'll have a similar season in 2018 to Dylan Bundy, Alex Cobb, and Kevin Gausman. Slightly higher ERA, more IP than Bundy or Cobb.

I would like him more if he wasn't in his walk year.   Corbin and Lamb is a decent offer but I would hope their are better offers.  I would rather go with my guessed at WS trade which is more future friendly, IMO.

5 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I like Corbin, but he's a rental himself.  Corbin for Brach makes sense.  Corbin in a Machado deal?  Not so much.  Brach for Corbin rumors were floated before the Manny trade rumors started up in earnest.  If there was anything to it, I see no reason not to pull the trigger on Brach for Corbin.  Why must we put everything else on hold until the Manny situation is resolved?  Multitask, for Pete's sake.  We need to fill 3 SP spots, and the Manny trade alone isn't going to fill all 3 no matter what.  There is simply no reason to not make a trade like Brach for Corbin, if it is available.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would like him more if he wasn't in his walk year.   Corbin and Lamb is a decent offer but I would hope their are better offers.  I would rather go with my guessed at WS trade which is more future friendly, IMO.

Corbin and Lamb is not a decent offer.  Corbin is gone in a year.  Losing Manny this year for 3 years of Lamb doesn't really excite me.  2018 Machado + 1st round comp draft pick > 2018 Corbin +  2018-20 Lamb, IMO.  If ARIZ wants to talk Corbin for Brach, that's something to talk about.

8 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Corbin and Lamb is not a decent offer.  Corbin is gone in a year.  Losing Manny this year for 3 years of Lamb doesn't really excite me.  2018 Machado + 1st round comp draft pick > 2018 Corbin +  2018-20 Lamb, IMO.  If ARIZ wants to talk Corbin for Brach, that's something to talk about.

Manny's gone after this year as well. For one year, Corbin and Lamb are decent value and go check the supplemental picks from the last 10 drafts and check your odds of getting a good, ML regular or starting pitcher.

Corbin fills a huge void in he starting rotation.  He was worth 3.1 WAR last year.   Lamb was worth 1.4 WAR bu provides a LH bat and at least plays the position where Manny leaving, leaves a hole.      For this year, it's decent value and a decent offer.     After Corbin and Machado become FA's who still have Lamb for two more years.    I would say that a LH hitter, 27 years old, coming off back to back .840 OPS seasons has some value.

There's always the possibility of flipping Corbin at the deadline as well.    You could possibly get a draft pick for him as well if and when he becomes a FA.

If you are waiting for a deal that excites you, prepare to keep waiting.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2