Roll Tide

Os requesting offers on Machado

1 minute ago, Eddie_Murray33 said:

Pretty much assume Manny will be in pinstripes at some point any way. Not sure it really matters with Oriole fans if we deal him directly to NYY ourselves. All we want is the absolute best package. Period.

This whole thing strikes me as very “transactional”. Manny is a phenomenal player- but I don’t think the “bond” is anywhere as strong as Mussina (i.e. really hurt to see him w/NYY) for example. JMHO.

The bond is pretty strong, but we’re more used to the idea of star players leaving now.    

19 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

I think the O's have a much better negotiating position with Machado then people think b/c it's beyond obvious after the Stanton trade that the Yankees will do everything they can to sign Machado if he hits FA.  Nightengale's Tweet is further evidence.

The O's can go to any other team and say if you want Machado, you better deal with us now.  However, Machado and his agent have final say on that extension issue which will determine the haul the O's can get.

Please explain how the Stanton trade made the Yankees more likely to sign Machado.

The way I heard it was the Yankees wanted Ohtani and quickly pivoted to Stanton when they didn't get Ohtani.  If anything I would think trading for Stanton, instead of getting Ohtani, would make them more likely to concentrate of acquiring pitching next offseason.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The bond is pretty strong, but we’re more used to the idea of star players leaving now.    

I have been a fan since the mid 1960's. The whole attitude about bonding to star players has changed. Free agency, for good or bad, has made it so that you no longer look at players as lifetime Orioles etc.

9 minutes ago, Os84 said:

I think the Orioles plan to trade Machado for SP and sign Moustakas for 3B. Orioles will get their new 3B and LH bat. Roch mentioned that the Orioles met with Scott Boras. That could be for a variety of reasons, but since he is Moustakas' agent, it would make sense...

I'm not sure I believe this, but it makes sense. Overall, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Moustakas is not a good OBP guy (other than 2015) which fits into the big power, low OBP the O's seem to love. That said, in 598 ABs he 'only' struck out 94 times. That's not that bad in today's world so at least he's a bit better at putting bat to ball than some others on the team.

A line up of: Beckham, Mancini, Schoop, Moustakas, Jones, Davis, Trumbo, Sisco, Hays isn't overly dominating, but it's not too bad. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Please explain how the Stanton trade made the Yankees more likely to sign Machado.

The way I heard it was the Yankees wanted Ohtani and quickly pivoted to Stanton when they didn't get Ohtani.  If anything I would think trading for Stanton, instead of getting Ohtani, would make them more likely to concentrate of acquiring pitching next offseason.

You are right.   I wasn't clear.

I meant Machado versus Harper in the 2018 FA extravaganza.  With Stanton Judge and Frazier they don't need another outfielder.  Harper won't work for them but Machado still will.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

More likely to sign Manny because now they're less likely to sign Harper.  And after they reset the luxury tax they can do both Manny and starting pitching.

1 minute ago, twinedenter said:

I would absolutely make that deal. Wacha is solid and Flaherty could be ready now or second half. 

IMO we are better team with this trade.

Right. Move JS to third and put Wong at second.

Moustakas is a poor On-Base option (career .305).  Out of curiosity, could Neil Walker play 3B?  At his age, a shorter contract is more likely and he wouldn't cost a fortune.  

Just now, NCRaven said:

More likely to sign Manny because now they're less likely to sign Harper.  And after they reset the luxury tax they can do both Manny and starting pitching.

But they have Stanton which is kinda/sorta the equivalent of signing Harper anyway.

I think if they had signed Ohtani they would be more likely to get Harper and Machado.

With Stanton I think they are more likely to get a pitcher and Machado.

But I think the chance of them getting Machado is pretty much the same either way.

On 12/11/2017 at 12:19 PM, webbrick2010 said:

Hilarious, where are all the DD/Buck defenders. I've been calling DD the worst GM in baseball for the past 3 years and now everyone seems to agree with me.

From the Hardy extension to the Trumbo extension to failing to extend anything from the young core, to failing to trade anything that was not going to be extended I have harped on his incompetence.

Now we all agree?

Um, no....I still think you are nutty as a fruitcake. ;) 

23 hours ago, osfan83 said:

Worst O's GM over the last 20 years....took a perennial winner and ran it into the ground during his tenure. :rolleyes: 

DD also did the same with a highly regarded minor league system. He's a complete bust. Everything is worse than before he arrived. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

DD also did the same with a highly regarded minor league system. He's a complete bust. Everything is worse than before he arrived. 

Yeah, I really miss all those meaningful September and October games during the decade before he arrived. :rolleyes: