Roll Tide

Os requesting offers on Machado

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wow. A bit surprised the Cards would have only had to part with their 9th best prospect in the Stanton deal (which was rumored to be the best offer). 

So if they Cardinals have the pitching prospects that we want, I think Dan has to sell them on allowing us to be a one stop shop. They can trade for their power bat AND their closer (which they also need). And I really hope we can do better than Alcantra. I want Reyes. 

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

How about Wacha, Flaherty, Helsley, and J Machado?

I'll be the first to admit that I am probably the lowest man on the totem pole when it comes to Wacha. Whenever he pitches against my Cubs it feels like he gets rocked, combined with tendency not to go deep into games and I'm not a fan.

12 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Ummm, I was using...

sarcasm | ˈsärˌkazəm | noun the use of irony to mock or convey contempt: his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment. ORIGIN mid 16th century: from French sarcasme, or via late Latin from late Greek sarkasmos, from Greek sarkazein tear flesh, in late Greek gnash the teeth, speak bitterly (from sarx, sark- flesh).

I got that. I guess since I was directing my ironic comment at a previous post, not yours, I should have quoted that post instead of yours. Sorry. 

And to be serious for a second, I'll repeat what I've said before, that Duquette seems to get no credit for significant improvement in the farm system, which has been accomplished without significant access to Latin American talent. I don't how much credit he deserves for that, but certainly it's some. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Bird said:

I don't think so. The Marlins want controllable outfielders amd the O's want pitchers.

The Marlins want to cut payroll. That business model is a mess. Joey Rickard is a controllable outfielder. 

10 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Wow. A bit surprised the Cards would have only had to part with their 9th best prospect in the Stanton deal (which was rumored to be the best offer).

They were taking on a huge long term contract so the return was lower.  

35 minutes ago, NCRaven said:
From Fangraphs chagt a few minutes ago.
K2
3:46
Phillies, Cards, Giants linked to the O's for Machado.  What would trade packages look like?  Pick the best if it saves time!

Eno Sarris
3:46
Cards link up best if O's want pitching. Jack Flaherty plus some stuff. One year of surplus might not get them that much more?

He just followed up with a blog post on their website:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/where-would-manny-machado-best-fit/

One thing to remember is trading Machado frees up about $16 million.

Now his worth is more than that but if you can shift resources and get some value hitters instead of value pitchers.  You might have something.

• Upvote 1

All the reports of Buck and Manny discussing his potential return to short....all of that must be really good for Tim Beckham’s sense of security...lol.   

The only decision is does moving Manny to short and having unknown X at third make us better than having Beckham at ss and Manny at third.   Not what makes Manny more valuable on the free agent market or even what he “wants” to do. If his moving to ss makes us better which includes a definition of what to do with Beckham, then fine.  

If I am no longer going to re-sign Manny, then keeping him happy is not so much my priority for 2018. It would be nice, but it is not a decision maker. 

27 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

How about Wacha, Flaherty, Helsley, and J Machado?

Sounds good to me.  That would be a huge, huge upgrade to the rotation and two of them would start in 2018.  Add Corbin and -boom- starting five.

Just now, Frobby said:

Sage commentary from Harold Reynolds:  http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/12/mlb-networks-harold-reynolds-on-the-orioles.html.  He thinks we can get five players back for Manny, including three impact young players.     I think he’s nuts.  

Which is why he is not a front office professional.