Roll Tide

Os requesting offers on Machado

10 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Machado and Britton to the Cards.

Weaver, Gyorko, Perez, and Rosenthal to the O's.

Need them to toss Reyes into that deal, and then get it done!

12 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Manny to Phillies, Cardinals, Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, and possibly Nationals, Cleveland, and Dodgers.

Call every GM and tell them to prepare their best offer. I'd be looking for 4 of someone's top 30.

Britton: Rockies, Dodgers, Astros and a couple other teams.....Take the same approach looking for 2-3 players 

Brach: Offer him a reasonable 3 year deal or trade him for 1 good prospect and a couple lottery tickets

Jones: Probably more valuable to the Orioles than a trade partner. Offer him a 2 year extension with a modest raise and and agreement to move him off CF.

Trumbo: Let Hayes start at AAA and play Trumbo everyday in RF. The numbers say he will hit when he plays the field. Flip him at the deadline.

Joseph: Start everyday and see what you can do wth Pena on a 1 year deal. You have Sisco and the catcher we just added to the 40 man on hold. If Joseph hits trade hm at the deadline for prospects.

You could retool fast and add 7-8 top prospects to the system. 

Promte Harvey, Lee, and sign a junk LH like Vargas and M Gonzalez to hold the rotation until you can promote the the new guys.

This should be the plan and promise the GM job to Buck to buy in and ship out Duquette when his contract expires.

Pretty good plan. You know the Yanks might actually be more willing to give up a huge package for one year of Manny if they get Stanton. They might see it as sealing the deal for this year.

14 hours ago, theocean said:

Just throwing this out there - I know a lot of people feel that we won't get much for Machado since he only has a year left before Free Agency. But, couldn't that actually be attractive to other teams?

For instance, take a team that is built to win in 2018: the Indians, the Nationals, the Dodgers, the Cubs, the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Astros. Wouldn't it be in their interest to trade for a superstar like Machado for a Championship run, without having to commit to the $300 million it'd take to sign him or a similar player in Free Agency? To me, if you're in it to win it - trading prospects for Manny Machado who is only going to cost you $17 million after arbitration sounds like a pretty smart move.

If I were a GM, I'd much rather trade for player on a short deal than have to sign someone like JD Martinez or Eric Hosmer for six years and $150 million.

I think one issue for the O's is that probably their best matches for a Machado deal are with the Yankees, Red Sox, and the Nationals - which might be difficult for fans to handle.

From one newbie to another - I think you're on the right track with the extra incentive of trading Machado now! The Stanton trade to the Yankees (if it's official) has shifted the pendulum greatly to the Yankees side now so the O's need to jump on this now! Unfortunately, I wish the O's had a more competent front office staff that sees the future could be cast right in front of them... and obtain the best prospects for not only Machado but the other leading caliber O's players

Perhaps MLB could issue the O's a court-ordered Angelos rep to negotiate the future of the O's organization.. for the better interest of baseball!

12 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Manny to Phillies, Cardinals, Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, and possibly Nationals, Cleveland, and Dodgers.

Call every GM and tell them to prepare their best offer. I'd be looking for 4 of someone's top 30.

Britton: Rockies, Dodgers, Astros and a couple other teams.....Take the same approach looking for 2-3 players 

Brach: Offer him a reasonable 3 year deal or trade him for 1 good prospect and a couple lottery tickets

Jones: Probably more valuable to the Orioles than a trade partner. Offer him a 2 year extension with a modest raise and and agreement to move him off CF.

Trumbo: Let Hayes start at AAA and play Trumbo everyday in RF. The numbers say he will hit when he plays the field. Flip him at the deadline.

Joseph: Start everyday and see what you can do wth Pena on a 1 year deal. You have Sisco and the catcher we just added to the 40 man on hold. If Joseph hits trade hm at the deadline for prospects.

You could retool fast and add 7-8 top prospects to the system. 

Promte Harvey, Lee, and sign a junk LH like Vargas and M Gonzalez to hold the rotation until you can promote the the new guys.

This should be the plan and promise the GM job to Buck to buy in and ship out Duquette when his contract expires.

The first three are all that matters. The rest is irrelevant because we would not expect to win games this year.

I would thank Jones for his service but trade him or let him walk. If he has a good year it is possible we flip at the deadline or do a QO. I don't think AJ is going to handle a rebuild well. I would rather extend Schoop than AJ. 

I would not let Trumbo anywhere near RF. He is not that good a hitter that it is worth allowing him to embarrass himself or the Orioles in the field. If we must put Trumbo in the field, I would rather see Davis DH and Trumbo at 1B. 

5 minutes ago, Odenton Mike said:

From one newbie to another - I think you're on the right track with the extra incentive of trading Machado now! The Stanton trade to the Yankees (if it's official) has shifted the pendulum greatly to the Yankees side now so the O's need to jump on this now! Unfortunately, I wish the O's had a more competent front office staff that sees the future could be cast right in front of them... and obtain the best prospects for not only Machado but the other leading caliber O's players

Perhaps MLB could issue the O's a court-ordered Angelos rep to negotiate the future of the O's organization.. for the better interest of baseball!

The Orioles front office won't be here after 2018, so I don't see why you would expect them to be looking out for the team's future. For most of the top people in the FO, their future will be somewhere else in 2019.

38 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would thank Jones for his service but trade him or let him walk. If he has a good year it is possible we flip at the deadline or do a QO. 

Jones is a 10-and-5 guy and can’t be traded without his consent.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Jones is a 10-and-5 guy and can’t be traded without his consent.  

He would go to a contender on the west coast rather than suffer the end of a rebuild season.

15 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

As has been said frequently from multiple sources, there are competing power centers in the warehouse and everything of significance has to go through PA.  So there are plenty of chances for non-DD people to bend PA's ear.

This. I have heard from a couple of people familiar with the organization that Buck was the one pushing for the re-signing of Davis, and he convinced Angelos to do so. Duquette evidently didn't want any part of it. Should be interesting to see how this Machado situation plays out. 

37 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He would go to a contender on the west coast rather than suffer the end of a rebuild season.

Like the San Francisco Gi.... never mind.

9 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

If your sources are credible, that is scary. Showalter needs to go when his contact is up.

I believe Tony has said the same thing before.   I keep waiting for an actual source to be identified.   Until then, to me it’s all just rumor.

On 12/7/2017 at 8:25 PM, Roll Tide said:

The Orioles will never do one for be on Machado. Even the article said Devers is a nice prospect but Manny is an elite player. Your getting 3-5 top end players for Manny if dealt. That's why the article suggest a contender whom is serious about a run at the World Series, willing to pay the price. 

If you think the Orioles are accepting a player or two your kidding yourself.

Exactly. We aren't trading Manny for any one prospect. Now, I could see the rationale in trading Manny for a high-end prospect plus two or three guys who are decent players already and could fill other needs (pitching anyone?).

I just hope we can make a worthwhile deal happen. Or that we at least truly attempt to make one.

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

The Orioles front office won't be here after 2018, so I don't see why you would expect them to be looking out for the team's future. For most of the top people in the FO, their future will be somewhere else in 2019.

And therein lies the crux of the issue. What makes sense for the organization as a whole makes no sense for the individuals whose best interest is to squeeze what little they can get out of the current team. 

I just hope we don't sit around the lower-middle for a lengthy period, similar to 98-11.