Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
interloper

So why haven't there been extension talks with Manny in 2 years?

Recommended Posts

Duquette admitted as much, for some reason. It makes him sound incompetent out of context, but he didn't really provide any context or reasoning. In text, it just sounds like he wasn't interested in extending Manny. 

What possible reason could there be for :

a) not trying to hold extension talks over the last two years

b) admitting to that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Manny's side didn't want to

2) Manny's starting ask was too high to negotiate with

3) Angelos realized he was going to cost too much and didn't want to bother with it

All of those reasons are possible, and none make the Orioles look incompetent.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

1) Manny's side didn't want to

2) Manny's starting ask was too high to negotiate with

3) Angelos realized he was going to cost too much and didn't want to bother with it

All of those reasons are possible, and none make the Orioles look incompetent.

Agree, but none of those reasons have been explicitly stated, so Dan just looks like kind of a lazy idiot. Lol. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Orioles May think that Manny doesnt want to be an Oriole in the future, they may think he’s not going to live up to a contract, etc. There are many legitimate reasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, interloper said:

Agree, but none of those reasons have been explicitly stated, so Dan just looks like kind of a lazy idiot. Lol. 

Baloney. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agree, but none of those reasons have been explicitly stated, so Dan just looks like kind of a lazy idiot. Lol. 

According to someone I know very connected with the O's, a potential extension was brought to ownership a couple of years ago for approval and it was shot down. I have not seen it reported elsewhere, but would it honestly surprise anyone? 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're realistic about Manny Machado, this was obviously coming. If you're upset that the O's somehow dropped the ball on signing Manny to a long term deal, you're just uninformed. Manny is due to be the highest paid player in MLB history; the Orioles, love them or hate, were not going to stop that train from pulling into the station. For the O's to have had the opportunity to use Manny for as long as they have has been a blessing, and it's really ashame that our three playoff years didn't culminate into anything spectacular.

For his part, DD is going to get back a package of players that no one will be satisfied with, regardless of the players involved. He's been set up to fail; I don't agree with it.

There's good news though; Manny Machado will be available to the O's as a free agent in 2019. *cue laugh track*

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Baloney. 

I understand he's not a lazy idiot, I'm just talking about optics. It looks bad when you say essentially "eh, we haven't even talked about signing the best player to grace our organization since Cal Ripken in like two years". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PAOriolesFan said:

According to someone I know very connected with the O's, a potential extension was brought to ownership a couple of years ago for approval and it was shot down. I have not seen it reported elsewhere, but would it honestly surprise anyone? 

It would not surprise me, no, and would be a valid reason why Dan gave no explicit reasoning in that sound bite. Still, just don't say it. There's no need to give those details unless  you're salty about ownership or the player's agent, which either way is a bad look.

Edited by interloper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, interloper said:

It would not surprise me, no, and would be a valid reason why Dan gave no explicit reasoning in that sound bite. Still, just don't say it. There's no need to give those details unless  you're salty about ownership or the player's agent, which either way is a bad look.

Who honestly knows. I've heard so many things about the O's structure and their operations that I take every piece of information I hear with a grain of salt.

I just thought I'd add what I heard since a thread was started. Could it be legitimate? Maybe. Could it be more hot air? Also possible. Let's just hope they get a good return on Machado. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agree, but none of those reasons have been explicitly stated, so Dan just looks like kind of a lazy idiot. Lol. 

To you, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

To you, I guess.

I'm saying to the general public. I understand it was a long shot to sign Manny. But as an outsider or casual baseball fan, it's a weird thing for a GM to say. Just say you haven't been able to make progress, don't say you haven't even tried to talk to the guy's agent in TWO YEARS. That's just weird. That's bad optics, which has been a Duquette problem his entire career. 

Ultimately, it doesn't matter, I just thought it was weird. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, interloper said:

I'm saying to the general public. I understand it was a long shot to sign Manny. But as an outsider or casual baseball fan, it's a weird thing for a GM to say. Just say you haven't been able to make progress, don't say you haven't even tried to talk to the guy's agent in TWO YEARS. That's just weird. That's bad optics, which has been a Duquette problem his entire career. 

Ultimately, it doesn't matter, I just thought it was weird. 

It's not his place to say why it didn't happen. Knowing the answer might satisfy fan curiosity, but it's a business matter and I'm sure his employers would prefer that he keep the information to himself. Talking about other people is rarely a good thing in business.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, interloper said:

I understand he's not a lazy idiot, I'm just talking about optics. It looks bad when you say essentially "eh, we haven't even talked about signing the best player to grace our organization since Cal Ripken in like two years". 

Manny leaving, is just as bad as Mussina leaving.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...