Sign in to follow this  
interloper

So why haven't there been extension talks with Manny in 2 years?

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Angelos makes no sense, what can I say.

As much as people dislike the man, he is not a total idiot, the man has a sharp business sense.

Nobody amasses that kind of money is an total clown.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

As much as people dislike the man, he is not a total idiot, the man has a sharp business sense.

Sure. But I think his reasoning for keeping/not keeping particular players ends up mostly boiling down to "I like this guy" or "I don't like this guy" sometimes.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I believe these conversations took place when Manny's knees wee still a question. As one poster has suggested they were close but PA nixed the deal. Very likely because of the health questions.

Just now, interloper said:

Sure. But I think his reasoning for keeping/not keeping particular players ends up mostly boiling down to "I like this guy" or "I don't like this guy" sometimes.

Is it?

I wonder, if he felt the need to keep Davis, the big homer hitter, was to keep fans in the seats?

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Who did you vote for?   Never mind.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

PA has good business sense in general. He is also exhibits extremely poor skills at operating a professional baseball team and developing talent throughout an MLB franchise. 

Just now, mcgraw238 said:

PA has good business sense in general. He is also exhibits extremely poor skills at operating a professional baseball team and developing talent throughout an MLB franchise. 

In the begining damn straight he did.

But, times have changed, since Andy came to town and started the rebuild process.

The minor league system is in better shape now, than the previous decade, it takes time to rebuild.

I have no problem with the fact that the orioles did not want to come anywhere near the kind of money it was going to take to sign Manny Machado. In fact I agree with them. My problem is that when they determined that, they should have traded him to maximize his return to the team. Now, maybe they get a nice return for him now, and if so I am good with that. Lets just wait and see what the deal is.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Just because you dislike a person, doesn't make them a clown.

I would agree with that.  Other things make them a clown.

If it gets out in the press that the O's tried and failed to re-sign Manny in recent weeks, that hurts his trade value. By not negotiating, it leaves DD the option to say that the O's can always approach an extension if they don't get satisfactory trade offers.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What else is he going to say? I hate playing here and cant wait to leave? He may well love playing here but if he doesnt he is not going to come out and say it.

1 minute ago, VeveJones007 said:

If it gets out in the press that the O's tried and failed to re-sign Manny in recent weeks, that hurts his trade value. By not negotiating, it leaves DD the option to say that the O's can always approach an extension if they don't get satisfactory trade offers.

A fair point, and one of the first honest answers to my question of why Dan would say they haven't tried to sign him for the past 2 years.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Has a player in the history of major league baseball said that he wants to leave the team he is currently on while under team control?

The disturbing reality from all of this is that Schoop had his best year last year and now we're looking at the same timeline of events for him. This organization historically just waits too long and is not aggressive enough with extensions. Jones and O'day are outliers.