Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

I get that the Orioles probably have to trade Manny...but it doesn't make it any less disgusting

To watch other teams make their club better with moves and trades and exciting additions and to watch our team hampered by money issues and a lack of depth and imagination makes me depressed and angry. Yes, the Orioles probably HAD to move Manny and likely Britton...but we are looking at a cellar team now for perhaps years to come with few if any exciting players to watch. I'm so frustrated in watching the Yankees make great additions and re-signs, and having the money is the major difference..but its the same old story. Teams with more money and more desire to field exciting teams to make their teams competitive and compelling usually win and teams like ours have a small window before they go  down again...and we are definitely going down again.And just watch the Yankees acquire Manny either THIS year or NEXT.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You were in favor of the Davis deal right?  Trumbo and O'Day as well if I remember correctly.

And Hardy. We chose to re-sign a bunch of declining ballplayers and now we're stuck with the results of those decisions. Roy was in favor of signing all of them. 

10 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

And Hardy. We chose to re-sign a bunch of declining ballplayers and now we're stuck with the results of those decisions. Roy was in favor of signing all of them. 

Hardy is off the books so I didn't include him.

If we "...are looking at a cellar team now for perhaps years to come with few if any exciting players to watch"  then the team made bad trades for Machado and Britton.

I share the frustration with the prospect of seeing Davis and Trumbo on the team in 2019 and not Machado.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Sure, if you believe the Orioles were going to give Manny 300+ million even if they didn't sign Davis. I personally don't.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

You can’t keep them all, just gotta be smart about the ones you choose to keep.

“Hampered by money issues” isn’t the reason Manny isn’t staying in Baltimore. Neither is “lack of depth and imagination”.

Manny wants to go to free agency and get paid the most money. There isn’t anything Baltimore can do to prevent that from happening, other than an extreme overpayment. 

They will have a chance at him in one year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hardy is off the books so I didn't include him.

I will say that if the O's had let Hardy walk and put Machado at short, which ahem, some of us suggested, it might have made Manny slightly more willing to stay in Baltimore.

4 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Sure, if you believe the Orioles were going to give Manny 300+ million even if they didn't sign Davis. I personally don't.

I don't either. And it is more than Stanton's deal when it does get done. 

5 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

“Hampered by money issues” isn’t the reason Manny isn’t staying in Baltimore. Neither is “lack of depth and imagination”.

Manny wants to go to free agency and get paid the most money. There isn’t anything Baltimore can do to prevent that from happening, other than an extreme overpayment. 

They will have a chance at him in one year.

No way to know if, had the O's pushed harder in the first couple of years, they could have changed his mind.  My guess is they didn't push that hard.

Does Angelos/Orioles have the same kind of money to spend as the Yankees and they chose not too?

I work with some Yankee fans, and they just laugh at me saying that Angelos/Orioles have just about the same money as the Yankees, they just don't want to spend it.

I'll hang up and listen....

17 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

You can’t keep them all, just gotta be smart about the ones you choose to keep.

They might not have had the choice to keep Machado--he may have been determined to go to one of the emerald cities no matter what the O's offered.  That doesn't excuse the Davis and Trumbo contracts, however.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

No way to know if, had the O's pushed harder in the first couple of years, they could have changed his mind.  My guess is they didn't push that hard.

I do not believe the O’s did not pull out every stop to bring the greatest Oriole since Cal Ripken to the negotiating table and sign him early.