Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
weams

OS MLBTR 12/27

Recommended Posts

Just now, clapdiddy said:

We could say the same thing about Manny. 

You can and its true he doesn't come close to what Cal had, as good as he is.

I remember late in Cal's career and the fans going beserk into talk radio (oh, the days before the internet) about why the team hadn't done right for Cal during negotiations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You can and its true he doesn't come close to what Cal had, as good as he is.

I remember late in Cal's career and the fans going beserk into talk radio (oh, the days before the internet) about why the team hadn't done right for Cal during negotiations.

I remember those days as well.   I remember there was a real feeling that he'd be wearing another uniform.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I remember those days as well.   I remember there was a real feeling that he'd be wearing another uniform.   

It wasn't like they was talking top 10 in baseball salaries, no where close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

It wasn't like they was talking top 10 in baseball salaries, no where close.

I’m not sure which deal you’re referring to, but when Cal signed a 5 year, $30.5 mm deal in late 1992, it was the second-biggest in baseball history.    It’s not like he was shortchanged.  http://www.nytimes.com/1992/08/25/sports/baseball-ripken-is-signed-for-30.5-million.html.   His extensions after that were not for top dollar, but of course he had slipped off the top shelf as a player by then.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Count me in as bullish on Mesa jr. I got a feeling about the big boy. I think he has a ML arm and will develop into a innings eating horse. He kinda reminds me a bit of Pete Harnisch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, theobird said:

Count me in as bullish on Mesa jr. I got a feeling about the big boy. I think he has a ML arm and will develop into a innings eating horse. He kinda reminds me a bit of Pete Harnisch.

I could see Mesa and Cortes sticking all year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol, looking at Dariel Alvarez as a pitcher yet they're the only team not to sign an international FA.  

What a joke.

Talk to PA. Maybe you can convince him. A lot of good baseball men have tried and failed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol, looking at Dariel Alvarez as a pitcher yet they're the only team not to sign an international FA.  

What a joke.

To be fair they did sign 4 players this international signing period.  CF Ricardo Castro, SS Hector Vizcaino, OF Josue Cruz, and 3B Oscar Olivares. Total of 340,000k spent, h/t to Rich Dubroff.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol, looking at Dariel Alvarez as a pitcher yet they're the only team not to sign an international FA.  

What a joke.

You got that right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

To be fair they did sign 4 players this international signing period.  CF Ricardo Castro, SS Hector Vizcaino, OF Josue Cruz, and 3B Oscar Olivares. Total of 340,000k spent, h/t to Rich Dubroff.

So, an average of $85,000 per player for those four? Talk about a crap shoot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

So, an average of $85,000 per player for those four? Talk about a crap shoot.

Yes, but anything close to 100k is a significant expenditure when it comes to the O's. Their high water mark is 350K and they've only gone there 2-3 times.

Of course, they just spent 300k on the Latin market in their preferred demographic,  the rule 5.

Edited by RZNJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yes, but anything close to 100k is a significant expenditure when it comes to the O's. Their high water mark is 350K and they've only gone there 2-3 times.

And there in lies the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yes, but anything close to 100k is a significant expenditure when it comes to the O's. Their high water mark is 350K and they've only gone there 2-3 times.

Of course, they just spent 300k on the Latin market in their preferred demographic,  the rule 5.

Except Mesa Jr and Cortes are American players.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 2 Anonymous, 129 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...