Sign in to follow this  
weams

OS MLBTR 12/27

Just now, clapdiddy said:

We could say the same thing about Manny. 

You can and its true he doesn't come close to what Cal had, as good as he is.

I remember late in Cal's career and the fans going beserk into talk radio (oh, the days before the internet) about why the team hadn't done right for Cal during negotiations.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You can and its true he doesn't come close to what Cal had, as good as he is.

I remember late in Cal's career and the fans going beserk into talk radio (oh, the days before the internet) about why the team hadn't done right for Cal during negotiations.

I remember those days as well.   I remember there was a real feeling that he'd be wearing another uniform.   

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I remember those days as well.   I remember there was a real feeling that he'd be wearing another uniform.   

It wasn't like they was talking top 10 in baseball salaries, no where close.

13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

It wasn't like they was talking top 10 in baseball salaries, no where close.

I’m not sure which deal you’re referring to, but when Cal signed a 5 year, $30.5 mm deal in late 1992, it was the second-biggest in baseball history.    It’s not like he was shortchanged.  http://www.nytimes.com/1992/08/25/sports/baseball-ripken-is-signed-for-30.5-million.html.   His extensions after that were not for top dollar, but of course he had slipped off the top shelf as a player by then.

• Upvote 1

Count me in as bullish on Mesa jr. I got a feeling about the big boy. I think he has a ML arm and will develop into a innings eating horse. He kinda reminds me a bit of Pete Harnisch.

2 hours ago, theobird said:

Count me in as bullish on Mesa jr. I got a feeling about the big boy. I think he has a ML arm and will develop into a innings eating horse. He kinda reminds me a bit of Pete Harnisch.

I could see Mesa and Cortes sticking all year. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol, looking at Dariel Alvarez as a pitcher yet they're the only team not to sign an international FA.  

What a joke.

Talk to PA. Maybe you can convince him. A lot of good baseball men have tried and failed.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol, looking at Dariel Alvarez as a pitcher yet they're the only team not to sign an international FA.  

What a joke.

To be fair they did sign 4 players this international signing period.  CF Ricardo Castro, SS Hector Vizcaino, OF Josue Cruz, and 3B Oscar Olivares. Total of 340,000k spent, h/t to Rich Dubroff.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

What a joke.

You got that right. 

10 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

To be fair they did sign 4 players this international signing period.  CF Ricardo Castro, SS Hector Vizcaino, OF Josue Cruz, and 3B Oscar Olivares. Total of 340,000k spent, h/t to Rich Dubroff.

So, an average of $85,000 per player for those four? Talk about a crap shoot.

30 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

So, an average of $85,000 per player for those four? Talk about a crap shoot.

Yes, but anything close to 100k is a significant expenditure when it comes to the O's. Their high water mark is 350K and they've only gone there 2-3 times.

Of course, they just spent 300k on the Latin market in their preferred demographic,  the rule 5.

Edited by RZNJ

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yes, but anything close to 100k is a significant expenditure when it comes to the O's. Their high water mark is 350K and they've only gone there 2-3 times.

And there in lies the problem.

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Of course, they just spent 300k on the Latin market in their preferred demographic,  the rule 5.

Except Mesa Jr and Cortes are American players.

• Upvote 1