Luke-OH

My personal top 50 Orioles prospects for 2018

16 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Here is part 1,

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/01/15/lukes-top-50-orioles-prospects-2018-primer-41-50/

Did I miss anyone you all like? #40-31 coming later this week.

For most of the guys in Rookie ball to low Single A (Delmarva) in tier 6, would it be accurate to say that we're a little to far out to really make a prediction, hence the call on their status here. Keep up the good work, btw. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

For most of the guys in Rookie ball to low Single A (Delmarva) in tier 6, would it be accurate to say that we're a little to far out to really make a prediction, hence the call on their status here. Keep up the good work, btw. 

You are right, the further away a guy is, generally the lower the floor which pulls their overall future grade down due to risk. At those low levels it’s more about tools and pitches than results.

19 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

You are right, the further away a guy is, generally the lower the floor which pulls their overall future grade down due to risk. At those low levels it’s more about tools and pitches than results.

Ok. Hence why we don't see many guys come from that part of the system. 

1 hour ago, Pheasants said:

Could you do an explanation of control versus command. My understanding of the difference keeps sliding around on me.

I'm not Luke, but  "control" typically has the connotation of the specific ability to throw strikes.  If a pitcher needs to work on his control, that most likely means that he is walking too many guys, getting behind in counts, etc.  He has difficulty throwing a pitch in the strike zone.

"Command" is more nuanced, and often means the ability to throw a certain pitch a certain way, or to a certain area within the strike zone.  If a pitcher has trouble "commanding" his curveball, he may be able to throw it for strikes, but maybe it doesn't have the same bite all the time, or he's not able to hit his spot well.  Basically, even though he's able to throw strikes, he's not able to consistently make the pitch do what he wants it to do.  A pitcher with bad fastball command may not walk many guys, but perhaps he misses his spots within the strike zone often and allows hard contact because of it.  

Kevin Gausman would strike me as a guy that may not necessarily struggle with control, but does struggle with command.  He's not an extremely high walk guy, but he has trouble locating and commanding his pitches within the strike zone.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I see you have Means one notch above Hess.    Why do you think the O’s protected Hess but not Means?

Bigger stuff, I could be wrong about my ranking of those two.  

Hess has a great fastball, and better breaking balls.  I was looking back on some old video and apparently Hess lost some serious velocity in 2016, but got it back in 2017. Not sure the cause.  

My reasoning for Means ahead of Hess (although they have the same grade so I don’t feel strongly about it either way) is that I don’t think Hess has the feel for pitching to be a starter.  I think he could be a good reliever (Brad Brach type) but I’m not going to get ahead of myself until I see how he looks in that type of role. Means has a more consistent starter’s repertoire, delivery and command. I like the way his fastball and changeup tunnel really well, I think that will help him at any level and will help his hittable FB play.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I'm not Luke, but  "control" typically has the connotation of the specific ability to throw strikes.  If a pitcher needs to work on his control, that most likely means that he is walking too many guys, getting behind in counts, etc.  He has difficulty throwing a pitch in the strike zone.

"Command" is more nuanced, and often means the ability to throw a certain pitch a certain way, or to a certain area within the strike zone.  If a pitcher has trouble "commanding" his curveball, he may be able to throw it for strikes, but maybe it doesn't have the same bite all the time, or he's not able to hit his spot well.  Basically, even though he's able to throw strikes, he's not able to consistently make the pitch do what he wants it to do.  A pitcher with bad fastball command may not walk many guys, but perhaps he misses his spots within the strike zone often and allows hard contact because of it.  

Kevin Gausman would strike me as a guy that may not necessarily struggle with control, but does struggle with command.  He's not an extremely high walk guy, but he has trouble locating and commanding his pitches within the strike zone.

Very good summary.