Frobby

Drew Hutchison? Ewww...

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

CLB would simply say, (sic) "B E L E I V E "!  

Naysayers, haters, "non-beleivers" be gone!  #BUCKYEAH  #Wildcard  #Frobby #WhyNot 

I am waiting to see what happens with Vargas, Cashner and Tillman.  Depending on what happens with those three the O's could have a contending team.  

I don't know why the O's would spend 7m on a left-handed hitter when the place they should spend their money is starting pitching.   I think the O's need to give Hays an opportunity in right.  The way the market is going if the O's need to sign an outfield during ST they can probably do that then.   I think Mullins right now is a good 4th outifielder.  He is ready defensively.  He hit right-handed pitching at AA.   I would spend the 7m on pitching. When I look at the O's lineup they hit right-handed pitching well anyway.  The need to add a left-handed batter is secondary IMO.

As far as 2019 and beyond.   I don't really know why Buck and/or Dan have not been extended.   Buck certainly  deserves to stay.   If the ownership can continue to fund at the 160m level I think the O's can fill the holes in 2019.  Hays and Mullins are probably  ready to be starters by then.   Harvey and Akin may  be in the rotation at that point.  Sisco, Wynn and Susac probably fill the holes at catcher.  Givens is ready to move to closer in 2019. O'Day, Bleier, Castro in the pen along with other relievers  that will get a chance in 2018.

I think the key to the whole thing is whether Dan can sign some starting  pitching in the next month.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am waiting to see what happens with Vargas, Cashner and Tillman.  Depending on what happens with those three the O's could have a contending team.  

I don't know why the O's would spend 7m on a left-handed hitter when the place they should spend their money is starting pitching.   I think the O's need to give Hays an opportunity in right.  The way the market is going if the O's need to sign an outfield during ST they can probably do that then.   I think Mullins right now is a good 4th outifielder.  He is ready defensively.  He hit right-handed pitching at AA.   I would spend the 7m on pitching. When I look at the O's lineup they hit right-handed pitching well anyway.  The need to add a left-handed batter is secondary IMO.

As far as 2019 and beyond.   I don't really know why Buck and/or Dan have not been extended.   Buck certainly  deserves to stay.   If the ownership can continue to fund at the 160m level I think the O's can fill the holes in 2019.  Hays and Mullins are probably  ready to be starters by then.   Harvey and Akin may  be in the rotation at that point.  Sisco, Wynn and Susac probably fill the holes at catcher.  Givens is ready to move to closer in 2019. O'Day, Bleier, Castro in the pen along with other relievers  that will get a chance in 2018.

I think the key to the whole thing is whether Dan can sign some starting  pitching in the next month.

I think the slow offseason market is going to really help the O's add some solid guys in a few weeks. As soon as Darvish signs, everything will start moving really quick.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know injuries are going to happen right?

True.  I just don't think this team (as down as I am on them) can lose 100 games.  To me, if you're losing 100 games you're one of the worst 2-3 teams in the majors.  I'd say the Orioles are easily in the bottom 3rd of all MLB clubs but I don't think they're going to be dead stinking last.  Or close to it.

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know injuries are going to happen right?

100 is pretty tough though.  None of the 14 straight losing teams lost 100.  And some of those were pretty awful teams.

Just now, SteveA said:

100 is pretty tough though.  None of the 14 straight losing teams lost 100.  And some of those were pretty awful teams.

I agree, 100 seems like kind of a stretch.

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I like this move. Still young with potential upside. Pitched in AL East. check.. check..check

I wouldn't hate an acquisition of Hutchinson on a minor league deal, but anything more than another arm to throw at the wall in the fifth spot and as rotational depth, is banking too much on Hutchinson. If you were to tell me we're looking at Hutchinson in addition to two other more established starters then I'm on board.

10 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I wouldn't hate an acquisition of Hutchinson on a minor league deal, but anything more than another arm to throw at the wall in the fifth spot and as rotational depth, is banking too much on Hutchinson. If you were to tell me we're looking at Hutchinson in addition to two other more established starters then I'm on board.

It'd be the equivalent of the Dana Eveland acquisition.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

You think this team is as good as the 2002 team that lost 95 games? You think Manny, Schoop, Jones, Mancini could even start for that 2002 team?

Batista, Bordick, Howie Clark, Jay Gibbons.......No way the 2018 team is better.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

You really think this team can lose 100 games?  I think they'd be at 70 wins or so.

I think this team certainly could lose 100 games if they go into the regular season with players from the current squad it's going into spring training with today. They have two major league starters (neither of whom have ever even pitched 190 inning in a season), no real closer, and a one dimensional offense once again.

Sure, they'll get a money motivated Machado who knows he's playing for the big free agent contract and they can hope Schoop is going to keep getting better, but where else are they going to be better at? This team had the worse starting pitching in the history of the organization last year and the replacements for the main culprits right now are minor leaguers, a middle reliever last year, and a rule 5 draft pick. 

Forgive me if I don't start clearing my schedule in October. 

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this past year was a come to Jesus moment for him, but Hutchison was pretty notorious as being incompatible with any coaching.  He has been pretty adamant to stick with what got him to the show even though the show is not impressed by flat 93 mph fastballs.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

True.  I just don't think this team (as down as I am on them) can lose 100 games.  To me, if you're losing 100 games you're one of the worst 2-3 teams in the majors.  I'd say the Orioles are easily in the bottom 3rd of all MLB clubs but I don't think they're going to be dead stinking last.  Or close to it.

It’s very difficult to lose 100.   We never did it during our 14-year losing streak.    I don’t think this team is bad enough, unless Bundy or Gausman goes down.    Then it might happen.   

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think they will but I think they could.  A bit of bad luck snowballs...

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s very difficult to lose 100.   We never did it during our 14-year losing streak.    I don’t think this team is bad enough, unless Bundy or Gausman goes down.    Then it might happen.   

Its the only thing keeping them from 100 losses probably. I hope they can find some bargains the last few days before the season starts. 

The fact that the biggest issue anyone has with my statement is that they think 100 losses is too harsh (notice I said MAY lose 100) speaks volumes. At the end of the day, this team is not a contender as currently manned. Whether they lose 85, 90, 95 or 100 is irrelevant. 

My point of the team being frozen by indecision is valid and I stand by it. It's that kind of indecision that ends up making teams irrelevant for long periods of time. The Astros had the guts to totally rebuild. They are now one of the best franchises in the game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1