Frobby

Drew Hutchison? Ewww...

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The fact that the biggest issue anyone has with my statement is that they think 100 losses is too harsh (notice I said MAY lose 100) speaks volumes. At the end of the day, this team is not a contender as currently manned. Whether they lose 85, 90, 95 or 100 is irrelevant. 

My point of the team being frozen by indecision is valid and I stand by it. It's that kind of indecision that ends up making team irrelevant for long periods of time. The Astros had the guts to totally rebuild. They are now one of the best franchises in the game. 

I agree with you Tony. That's what really ticks me off about this FO.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

The fact that the biggest issue anyone has with my statement is that they think 100 losses is too harsh (notice I said MAY lose 100) speaks volumes. At the end of the day, this team is not a contender as currently manned. Whether they lose 85, 90, 95 or 100 is irrelevant. 

My point of the team being frozen by indecision is valid and I stand by it. It's that kind of indecision that ends up making teams irrelevant for long periods of time. The Astros had the guts to totally rebuild. They are now one of the best franchises in the game. 

I don't think anyone on here disagrees with that. Even Frobby these days, which is telling. They might have a "plan" in the thinnest sense of the word, but they have no real roadmap to winning. They've backed themselves into a corner.

But... they aren't without SOME talent. And they managed to win 75 games with Ubaldo, Miley, Hellickson, and a regressed Gausman in the rotation. It wouldn't take much to improve on the worst rotation in baseball, and that's what makes their inaction so maddening. Improvement can be found just by doing almost ANYthing, and they've so far chosen to do precisely nothing.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well since I have no idea what you are talking about, I'll just say enjoy your fandom and belief.I'll stick with reality and my opinions.

Just joking and playing devil's advocate and trying to stay positive as Cindy would.  I hate the bad vibe but agree with you, however.

It seems to me the best Orioles teams were the ones that had great starting pitching, great defense and timely hitting.

The Orioles of today could learn a lesson from our past. We now have the leagues worst starting pitching and we don't seem willing or able to bring in top talent. Instead we pay 150 million to Mr. Strikeout Chris Davis. Frankly, somebody in the front office has their head up their a$$.

Edited by gtman55

24 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

It seems to me the best Orioles teams were the ones that had great starting pitching, great defense and timely hitting.

The Orioles of today could learn a lesson from our past. We now have the leagues worst starting pitching and we don't seem willing or able to bring in top talent. Instead we pay 150 million to Mr. Strikeout Chris Davis. Frankly, somebody in the front office has their head up their a$$.

The teams you are referencing didn’t buy their great pitching, they developed it themselves, for the most part.

4 hours ago, interloper said:

I don't think anyone on here disagrees with that. Even Frobby these days, which is telling. They might have a "plan" in the thinnest sense of the word, but they have no real roadmap to winning. They've backed themselves into a corner.

But... they aren't without SOME talent. And they managed to win 75 games with Ubaldo, Miley, Hellickson, and a regressed Gausman in the rotation. It wouldn't take much to improve on the worst rotation in baseball, and that's what makes their inaction so maddening. Improvement can be found just by doing almost ANYthing, and they've so far chosen to do precisely nothing.

Yeah, and even more amazing, with all of that, *and* Davis and Trumbo missing in action, and significant time missed by Britton and O'Day, they *still* were contending for a playoff spot till September. 

Looking over Hiutchinson’s numbers and there are some positives there. The guy is only 27. He has been durable, making 30 and 28 starts in his two season as a full time SP with Tor. Good k/9 numbers. His FIP was 3.85 and 4.42 in those two seasons. So he was pretty unlucky. Former top prospect. AAA success. Has pitched in the AL East  

I’d rather have him than overpay a guy like Andrew Cashner. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

My point of the team being frozen by indecision is valid and I stand by it. It's that kind of indecision that ends up making teams irrelevant for long periods of time. The Astros had the guts to totally rebuild. They are now one of the best franchises in the game. 

It is the indecision.  

If we have to lose, in order to win, i can take it.  If we go for it, against all odds, I can get behind it.  If we sacrifice an entire year because we can't decide if we want or can afford to keep:  our GM, manager, best player, best closer, team leader etc.  We just need to pick a direction and go...perhaps this off season really is odd and it somehow still plays into our hand.  I think most of us as fans, are just wanting to see a sign that we are trying to do something.  

Since 2011 I have been very optimistic and honestly have been very pleased.  I have not agreed with every move.  I defended AM back in the day when many couldn't wait for him to be gone.  I have done the same with DD.  I think Buck has been great.  My feeling has been our ownership wants to win but has been largely unable to get out of it's own way.  All of my fellow Redskin fan's know what I am talking about.

Replacing  AM, or DD for that matter won't get us a WS championship until we have a team that is committed from Ownership down to grounds keepers.  That my fellow fans comes from the top.  With ownership.  If you watched Super Bowl LII last night and listened to their players and coaches speak it was universal how clear and focused they were.  They believed in what they are doing and their plan was followed.  I know they just erased a super long championship drought, but they are impressive.  What they have done and what they overcame is inspiring and seems more like a sports movie than a real life event.

I felt this way about the Orioles at the end of 2011.  As the Orioles played and scrapped with the Red Sox and helped eliminate them in one of the great collapses in Baseball history.  Just like that, Andino drove in the winning run and then right up until Mark Trumbo pushed back on that Adam Jones pie this summer, I thought that in spite of the dysfunction, that this group had the final goal in mind. But this group does not have that.  

This group with the ball inside the 5 nearing the end of the first half, would have let the clock run.  With the lead in hand, we would be to affraid to risk having a kick blocked, we would not afford the risk of getting our best players hurt. We would have feared to fail.  In short, we have lacked the courage and institutional agreement to go out and make it happen.  

We are either getting better by moving forward, or we are getting better by moving back.  Standing still paralyzed with indecision is ripping the heart right out of fans.  It's like watching a house burn.  We can't put it out, we can't help get those inside get safely out.  We just have to watch.

The Yankees may be better run, but they are not unbeatable, if we believe that to be so, we sacrifice the opportunity to be bold.  We miss the opportunity to win.  The Philadelphia Eagles didn't wait to try and catch the New England Patriots without Brady...or their genius crew.  They just set out to beat them and then would not accept anything else until it was done.  Congrats Eagles.

Fly Orioles Fly.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I like this move. Still young with potential upside. Pitched in AL East. check.. check..check

Yeah, and we have such a great track record of developing young potential upside pitchers.

What a joke.

1 hour ago, joeyc said:

Yeah, and we have such a great track record of developing young potential upside pitchers.

What a joke.

Sounds like he could be a 2012 version of Jason Hammel. 

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Looking over Hiutchinson’s numbers and there are some positives there. The guy is only 27. He has been durable, making 30 and 28 starts in his two season as a full time SP with Tor. Good k/9 numbers. His FIP was 3.85 and 4.42 in those two seasons. So he was pretty unlucky. Former top prospect. AAA success. Has pitched in the AL East  

I’d rather have him than overpay a guy like Andrew Cashner. 

He almost pitched a perfect game against the O's as a Blue Jay. But hey, a lot of scrubby pitchers can make that claim against us.

17 hours ago, bobmc said:

Just joking and playing devil's advocate and trying to stay positive as Cindy would.  I hate the bad vibe but agree with you, however.

Now I get CLB. Man, blast from the past.

Sadly he fits exactly what the Orioles will trot out there for 3rd, 4th and 5th in the rotation this year.  If it fits wing and a prayer it fits what the O's will trot out to the mound in those rotation positions this year. :$

Barring a miracle out of the likes, of like Mike Wright ect, or the O's spending $$$ on FA pitching. (We all know that ain't happening) I really don't see this team contending past the break this year. Maybe they can move Machado for some pitching by then?

15 hours ago, foxfield said:

It is the indecision.  

If we have to lose, in order to win, i can take it.  If we go for it, against all odds, I can get behind it.  If we sacrifice an entire year because we can't decide if we want or can afford to keep:  our GM, manager, best player, best closer, team leader etc.  We just need to pick a direction and go...perhaps this off season really is odd and it somehow still plays into our hand.  I think most of us as fans, are just wanting to see a sign that we are trying to do something.  

Since 2011 I have been very optimistic and honestly have been very pleased.  I have not agreed with every move.  I defended AM back in the day when many couldn't wait for him to be gone.  I have done the same with DD.  I think Buck has been great.  My feeling has been our ownership wants to win but has been largely unable to get out of it's own way.  All of my fellow Redskin fan's know what I am talking about.

Replacing  AM, or DD for that matter won't get us a WS championship until we have a team that is committed from Ownership down to grounds keepers.  That my fellow fans comes from the top.  With ownership.  If you watched Super Bowl LII last night and listened to their players and coaches speak it was universal how clear and focused they were.  They believed in what they are doing and their plan was followed.  I know they just erased a super long championship drought, but they are impressive.  What they have done and what they overcame is inspiring and seems more like a sports movie than a real life event.

I felt this way about the Orioles at the end of 2011.  As the Orioles played and scrapped with the Red Sox and helped eliminate them in one of the great collapses in Baseball history.  Just like that, Andino drove in the winning run and then right up until Mark Trumbo pushed back on that Adam Jones pie this summer, I thought that in spite of the dysfunction, that this group had the final goal in mind. But this group does not have that.  

This group with the ball inside the 5 nearing the end of the first half, would have let the clock run.  With the lead in hand, we would be to affraid to risk having a kick blocked, we would not afford the risk of getting our best players hurt. We would have feared to fail.  In short, we have lacked the courage and institutional agreement to go out and make it happen.  

We are either getting better by moving forward, or we are getting better by moving back.  Standing still paralyzed with indecision is ripping the heart right out of fans.  It's like watching a house burn.  We can't put it out, we can't help get those inside get safely out.  We just have to watch.

The Yankees may be better run, but they are not unbeatable, if we believe that to be so, we sacrifice the opportunity to be bold.  We miss the opportunity to win.  The Philadelphia Eagles didn't wait to try and catch the New England Patriots without Brady...or their genius crew.  They just set out to beat them and then would not accept anything else until it was done.  Congrats Eagles.

Fly Orioles Fly.

Great post!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1