Bahama O's Fan

Do Long Term FA Contracts Ever Work Out?

On 2/13/2018 at 6:56 PM, Can_of_corn said:

The general guide is the more years you offer the lower the AAV.

I would love someone like Trout or Harper to sign a series of one year deals.

If you are a contender do you pay 40M for one year of Trout?  How about Fifty?

I bet someone would pay twice that. 

I know this post is 2.5 years old. 

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Seems like a fun spot to put this.  Of course this is very early in the contract.

Hurt?  I don' think losing four mph on your fastball is just a dead arm period. 

Risk factors: Most batters faced in the league in '16, missed half of '17 and '18, and in '19 he looked healthy but had his highest ERA ever.

I suppose he could DH.  He's about as good a hitter as Davis, with about as much left on his deal.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Hurt?  I don' think losing four mph on your fastball is just a dead arm period. 

Risk factors: Most batters faced in the league in '16, missed half of '17 and '18, and in '19 he looked healthy but had his highest ERA ever.

I suppose he could DH.  He's about as good a hitter as Davis, with about as much left on his deal.

I'm going with general wear.  He's been trending down for years now.  When the Giants didn't keep him it should have been a huge red flag for other teams.

He is getting looked at for back spasms.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm going with general wear.  He's been trending down for years now.  When the Giants didn't keep him it should have been a huge red flag for other teams.

He’s getting cut from my fantasy team, that’s for damn sure.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Something is going on.  His fastball has been about 91 forever, this year it's 87.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Something is going on.  His fastball has been about 91 forever, this year it's 87.

Rumor mill is that he isn't in shape.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rumor mill is that he isn't in shape.

My first question is what was his velocity in the spring before the shutdown? 

Not being in shape adds up. I mean I’m sure some guys did a better job during the break than others. 

4 hours ago, backwardsk said:

He’s getting cut from my fantasy team, that’s for damn sure.

I had him last year. Felt very lucky to squeeze one more decent (not great) year out of him. Too many warning signs to draft this year. 

Even when they work... do they really work?

Mike Trout is the best most valuable player in baseball, but the Angels still suck

If that's because of a resource allocation problem then I say they should have let him walk

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Mike Trout is the best most valuable player in baseball, but the Angels still suck

If that's because of a resource allocation problem then I say they should have let him walk

Well, too bad. They have him forever. And Arizona has Madison forever too. 

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yea, Trout is the problem, not that guy at first.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When do they work. When does any entertainer work. Why are they paid so darn much! Why is their money not distributed to those who work cubicles. Or telework!

45 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Do you think the Nationals regret the Scherzer deal?

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don’t think the Pujols contract was as bad as the Hamilton and Wilson deals.  A terrible deal for sure, but one of many bad moves when trying to build around Trout.

9 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I don’t think the Pujols contract was as bad as the Hamilton and Wilson deals.  A terrible deal for sure, but one of many bad moves when trying to build around Trout.

It's easy to point at the guy still playing but yea, it has been a number of bad moves.