TyCobb

Seattle fires GM...

I doubt it. Bavasi had built up their farm system quite well since Gillick left. It was this offseason that he signed Silva and traded for Bedard. The contract extension to Ichiro was also unwise granted that was when he was doing well. All his offseason moves backfired or didn't produce what was intended. Had Seattle traded instead of extended Ichiro and kept Jones, Tillman and Sherrill, they probably could have competed in 2009 or 2010.

Seattle might have kept him if they had a bad year last year, but that's because they've overlooked his mistakes with the ML roster for years because he and his team have been so good at drafting and signing amateur FA talent. But they also might have canned him.

So what does their new GM need to do to get this team back on the track towards sustained competitiveness? I think Felix has three years until FA after this season. Do you take the Oakland route and consider trading your star pitcher after this season? I can see it happening. They don't really have much else of value to trade besides Bedard, Felix, and Ichiro and I don't see them trading Ichiro unless he asks out.

Edited by ELC

Isn't there still room for a team that is that near .500 to turn it around? I really haven't been paying close attention to the Mariners but this seemed premature to me. Maybe they really, really didn't like the Bedard deal.

Isn't there still room for a team that is that near .500 to turn it around? QUOTE]

24 and 45 is not anywhere near .500 and the Mariners have spent like a big market team. Bavasi was the worse GM in baseball for along time.

Isn't there still room for a team that is that near .500 to turn it around? I really haven't been paying close attention to the Mariners but this seemed premature to me. Maybe they really, really didn't like the Bedard deal.

The Mariners have 24 wins, 45 losses and have 93 games left. To get to 90 wins to have a shot at the playoffs, they have to go...

66 - 27

For the rest of the season. Uhhhhhh.... not likely.

I always thought that Seattle played way over their heads last season and that trading for Bedard was not a good move on their part.

I feel bad for Bavasi, but I think he took a chance at a time when he shouldn't have.

He was really pressured into taking that chance though. MacPhail knew they had to make a move and, as we all know, played a heck of a game of poker when Bedard was the last big prize out there.

Sure, it looks bad on paper for the Mariners now and it probably always will, but ownership and the fans should think back to what they were screaming for Bavasi to do in December and January before they made the Bedard trade.

Bavasi was fired in large part because of that trade, but he probably would have gotten fired if he hadn't made that trade. He was in a lose-lose situation.

What's interesting is Ichiro is moving back to RF permanently. Now the CF spot is empty. I wonder who could have been occupying the spot right now. Hmm......

God that trade was a bad idea, and I called it from the very beginning.

Let me truck out the usual list of "blue-chip prospects" for a replacement (assuming the interim GM, whose name I will not attempt to spell, doesn't become the actual GM):

Chris Antonetti

David Forst

Jed Hoyer

Kim Ng

These are the people the Mariners should be looking at. The thing is, when you are bad enough that you have fired your GM, a large part of that tends to be that the people who hired the GM are idiots and will thus not hire who they should as a replacement. So Steve Phillips should be sure not to leave his cell phone in a taxi.

I think many saw this firing coming for some time.

Anyone who didnt should get their eyes checked.

BTW, on BBTN they mentioned that Cashman could be a finalist for the job if they let the search last until the offseason. I could see it being realistic if Hank keeps going on his rants. I would love for it to happen because Cashman would be in a great spot to rebuild a franchise and be out from underneath Hank, while Hank will run the Yankees into the ground.

Anyone who didnt should get their eyes checked.

BTW, on BBTN they mentioned that Cashman could be a finalist for the job if they let the search last until the offseason. I could see it being realistic if Hank keeps going on his rants. I would love for it to happen because Cashman would be in a great spot to rebuild a franchise and be out from underneath Hank, while Hank will run the Yankees into the ground.

Agreed. Seattle has the payroll to let Cashman do what he wants and he has the record to back it up.