Carllamy

Interesting Bit On Baltimore Radio

1 hour ago, Carllamy said:

Listened to the Scott and Jeremy show on 105.7 The Fan today. They had Keith Law on.

Scott Garceau has been mentioning for several days on his show that he doesn't understand how Odorizzi could be traded by the Rays for a minor leaguer who wasn't even in the top 30 of The Twins' prospect list. So, he asked Keith Law straight out about it.

Law said he had talked to a number of the people in the Rays' organization, and while he couldn't talk about everything they said, what he could say was that Odorizzi had a back problem last year, and there is a concern that he might not be completely over it yet, and may not get over it for a couple of years. He speculated that, given the Orioles' need for a consistent starter who will give them 35 starts, and knowing how tough the Orioles' physicals are, he wouldn't be surprised if the O's just passed on Odorizzi out of health/dependability concerns.

Now, didn't we hear earlier in the off-season that the O's had been looking for starters but that there were some the O's just were not going to be in on because of health concerns? Maybe one of the ones they were talking about was Odorizzi?

Good pickup. The guys on 105.7 are the only people in the mainstream media that ask tough questions. Everyone else is paid to take shots of orange koolaid. 

1 minute ago, O's are Legends said:

Appreciate the info Carllamy. If true, it will be interesting to see how Odorizzi does this year. Hard to believe he was available for someone outside a team's top 30 but indeed that's all it took. I wouldn't be pleased as a Ray fan right now, at least they are debuting their "ray tank".

Honeywell going down was a big blow.

Jake Odorizzi named opening day starter for Twins, will face off against our O's this Thursday.

I still don't understand this trade. He's not a free agent until 2020. Has posted a 3.8 era pitching the majority of his games against the AL east, and was traded straight up for a single a player. I understand the Rays are looking to cut salary but at least get multiple players or a proper prospect for a good pitcher.

Odorizzi

9 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

Jake Odorizzi named opening day starter for Twins, will face off against our O's this Thursday.

I still don't understand this trade. He's not a free agent until 2020. Has posted a 3.8 era pitching the majority of his games against the AL east, and was traded straight up for a single a player. I understand the Rays are looking to cut salary but at least get multiple players or a proper prospect for a good pitcher.

Odorizzi

Because you are looking at ERA.

His FIP was more than a full run higher.

Before the two serious injuries the Rays had options that were both better and cheaper.

As for why they didn't get more back, I'm sure they tried.  Turns out that is where the market was.

I've not heard of the Rays doing anything stupid like refusing to deal with the Yankees or any team they think might have flipped him to the Yankees.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because you are looking at ERA.

His FIP was more than a full run higher.

Before the two serious injuries the Rays had options that were both better and cheaper.

As for why they didn't get more back, I'm sure they tried.  Turns out that is where the market was.

I've not heard of the Rays doing anything stupid like refusing to deal with the Yankees or any team they think might have flipped him to the Yankees.

I always thought the return on this deal made very little sense for the Rays.    I do find it a bit odd that The Odorizzi would be the Brewers’ opening day starter.    Good luck to him — gotta like pitching in the NL Central over the AL East.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I always thought the return on this deal made very little sense for the Rays.    I do find it a bit odd that The Odorizzi would be the Brewers’ opening day starter.    Good luck to him — gotta like pitching in the NL Central over the AL East.   

I'll agree that the return is less than we have been conditioned to expect.

But I don't think he's all that good.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He's on the Twins.

1 hour ago, O's are Legends said:

Odorizzi

There were injury concerns with Odorizzi.