Sign in to follow this  
Elbren

Star Wars: Episode IX

After the very mixed reviews and opinions of The Last Jedi, it looks like Episode IX is getting a bit of a shake up.

Disney and director Colin Trevorrow have parted ways.  Seems Trevorrow was butting heads w/ higher ups at Lucasfilms (i.e., Kathleen Kennedy).  From what I've read, he was really not happy about The Last Jedi.  Both Luke and Snoke were big parts of his script/idea for Ep. IX and now he couldn't use them.  He and Kennedy couldn't come to an agreement on how to proceed from here and now he's gone.  Sounds like Rian Johnson was offered the job first (omg, that would have been horrible), but now J.J. Abrams will be writing and directing Ep. IX.  Because of the change, the release date for the film was pushed back, from June 2019 to around Christmas 2019.

Disney really needs to replace Kathleen Kennedy.  This woman has absolutely no idea how to run this franchise.  For those keeping track:

- After Gareth Edwards had finished filming Rogue One, Disney brought in a different director (and later, a different editor) to write and direct reshoots.  Sounds like the film was very piecemeal and what he ended up with wasn't really Edwards version of the film.

- The directors for the Solo film were both replaced after shooting was basically done.  Before they left, they had to bring in an acting coach for the actor playing Han Solo.  Disney brought in Ron Howard and he had to do extensive reshoots.  From the sound of it, he basically reshot the whole movie.  Even after that, initial reactions to the cuts of the film that have been seen are not good (reactions from internal people at Disney, not from reviewers).  From what I've read, Solo is a bomb waiting to happen and Disney has already written off the film.  It's one of the reasons it took so long for us to get a trailer and there hasn't been much marketing for the film despite it coming out in two months.

- One of the biggest knocks on Disney's version of Star Wars so far has been that Kennedy just hands a director a film and lets them do whatever they want.  There's no singular direct or focus like Fiege has for Marvel Studios, especially the main trilogy films.  Well, it sounds like J.J. Abrams DID write up a draft for Episodes VIII and IX ... but Rian Johnson tossed it and decided to do his own thing.  A comment by Daisy Ridley on Abrams involvement w/ The Last Jedi:

Rian Johnson and J. J. Abrams met to discuss all of this, although Episode VIII is still his very own work. I believe Rian didn’t keep anything from the first draft of Episode VIII.

• Upvote 1

Forgot to mention, Jon Favreau is attached to a new live action Star Wars tv show.  No other info. as of yet, whether he's writing or producing the show.

I would have to think this is Disney's streaming service which is supposed to debut next year.

Anyone going to see the Solo movie?  Was hoping to hear some opinions since I don't plan on seeing it.  The audience score at Rotten Tomatoes is currently at 64% and has been dropping slowing since the first showings began.

Disney also officially announced an Obi Wan Kenobi and Bobba Fett films.

6 hours ago, Elbren said:

Anyone going to see the Solo movie?  Was hoping to hear some opinions since I don't plan on seeing it.  The audience score at Rotten Tomatoes is currently at 64% and has been dropping slowing since the first showings began.

Disney also officially announced an Obi Wan Kenobi and Bobba Fett films.

My girlfriend was selected for a free advance showing so I saw it earlier this week.  I'm a very casual Star Wars fan, know some of the lore but am in no way super invested.  For what it was it was entertaining, but in terms of Star Wars it really served no purpose.  My girlfriend summed it up for me pretty well, Han Solo has so many great one liners, and if you're into them then the movie pretty much explained where some of them originated.  Most of the acting was pretty solid, Donald Glover in particular as Lando was awesome, but overall it isn't an essential movie, to me, even for a diehard Star Wars fan.  I wouldn't pay full price for it, go see it for a matinee or something.

The fans are definitely sending a message to Disney.  Their original forecast for Solo was in the $140-150 Mil. range, domestically.  We won't know exact numbers until sometime on Monday, but Disney has had to lower those estimates several times over the weekend and it looks like they're now just hoping that it breaks the $100 Mil. mark.  Remember, the budget for this movie is in the $250-300 Mil. range, this was a 4-day holiday weekend and Solo was the only new release.

This is on top of the very weak overseas opening ($65 Mil.) including only $10 Mil. in China.   The Last Jedi did so poorly in China, that they ended up changing the title Solo: A Star Wars Story to Ranger Solo.  Looks like the name change didn't help. lol

For context:

I'm a pretty enormous SW fan.  Seen the OT movies more times than I can count.  Was into a ton of the video games and stuff when I was younger, read way too many of the Expanded Universe novels.

I dislike the prequels.....................I absolutely despised The Last Jedi.

Went to see Solo on opening night and actually really enjoyed it!   I would actually recommend it to people who are fans of the franchise.   Glover and Ehrenreich really hold their own and remind me of Billy Dee / Harrison respectively.  That part exceeded my expectations.

It's not a perfect movie, there are definitely flaws.   I would compare it to a fun and entertaining Marvel movie.........which hey, I'll take at this point after TLJ.   Seeing Han and Chewie together flying the Falcon is still a ton of fun and I liked most of the angles they came up with to explain Han's origins (they even explain why Lando always mispronounces Han's name in V and VI).

It certainly deserves a better fate and Opening Weekend than it's going to get.   There are a multitude of reasons why it's bombing in my opinion, and I think a lot of them don't really have anything to do with the quality of the film itself.   Oh well.

Solo came in at $84.7 Mil. for the 3 day weekend, $101-103 Mil. over the 4 day holiday weekend and $148 Mil. globally.  Not exactly the opening that Disney was hoping for.

Late w/ this info., but Solo made $29 mil. in it's 2nd weekend and is currently sitting at $159 mil. globally.  With the Incredibles 2 opening on the 15th, Solo may be out of theaters after it's 3rd week.

A little off topic, but how crazy is it that we're well into the "summer movie rush" and most, if not all, of the big movies that have released so far have either been Disney movies or at least related to Disney.

Infinity War - Marvel/Disney

Deadpool 2 - Fox (soon to be owned by Disney.  Just waiting on the red tape)

Solo - Lucasfilm/Disney

Incredibles 2 - Pixar/Disney

You have to wait until June 22 before you hit a big-budget, summer movie that isn't owned by Disney (Jurassic World 2).  After that, you're right back to Disney with Ant-Man & the Wasp on July 6.  Even with Solo flopping, it still looks like this is Disney's year.

Solo has done so poorly that Disney has stopped all production on their Star Wars anthology films.  From the sound of it, none of the films (there are reportedly nine currently in production) will continue until after Episode IX has finished.  This includes the Obi-Wan Kenobi and Bobba Fett films that were announced when Solo first opened.

First teaser trailer is out.  The official name is The Rise of Skywalker ... not a big fan of that name.

Definitely excited for this final installment.   I think JJ will be much more likely to give the fans what they want this time around, as opposed to what Rian Johnson came up with.

It's also appropriate for JJ to close out the story the way he wants since he is the one that set everything up with TFA.   I'm predicting a few of the major story twists in Episode 8 will be 'undone.'

Last trailer came out this week.    Starting to get excited to see how everything will wrap up!

Not to mention Disney+ / The Mandalorian launching in just a few weeks.  :)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Last trailer came out this week.    Starting to get excited to see how everything will wrap up!

Not to mention Disney+ / The Mandalorian launching in just a few weeks.  :)

Wrap up until they come out with episode X in a couple years, right after the live action remake of The Fox and the Hound.