Sign in to follow this  
Elbren

Star Wars: Episode IX

Is what I read in the reviews accurate?  Does this film invalidate the overriding story arc of the first six films? 

If so, couldn't they have come up with something else?

On 11/18/2019 at 2:03 PM, Frobby said:

I’m not a huge Star Wars fan, but so far as I’m concerned, they could have stopped after the original three movies.    Even the third of those was not as good as the first two.     Everything since then seems too crassly calculated to make money off the franchise, and not really very original.    But, I will certainly see SW IX, like I did all the others.    Baaaaaa!

I think the first one is the only one with a good story. 

I do own a lot of Disney stock .   (Up 44 percent since last Christmas EVE) So I encourage everyone to see the new movie which I am sure will be enjoyable for the whole family. 

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is what I read in the reviews accurate?  Does this film invalidate the overriding story arc of the first six films? 

If so, couldn't they have come up with something else?

The main character arc that crosses Episodes I-VI is Vader.   

I stayed away from the reviews but the trailers do indicate the return of another big character.  It's way too soon to give away more than that.  Wikipedia has the plot summary up for those that have to know.

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

The main character arc that crosses Episodes I-VI is Vader.   

I stayed away from the reviews but the trailers do indicate the return of another big character.  It's way too soon to give away more than that.  Wikipedia has the plot summary up for those that have to know.

I would say Anakin but yea, his arc.

I can't imagine anyone would enter this thread if they were worried about spoilers.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would say Anakin but yea, his arc.

I can't imagine anyone would enter this thread if they were worried about spoilers.

Anakin's story doesn't change.   I can't say that for everyone 😉

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Anakin's story doesn't change.   I can't say that for everyone 😉

I didn't say it changed.  I said it was invalidated.

Not the same thing.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't say it changed.  I said it was invalidated.

Not the same thing.

Well I think some would like this to be spoiler free for a while longer.  If you assume otherwise than why didn't you ask a direct question about a character?   

Anyhow, for those who are well versed on the "canon" (which isn't me) then I have a temporary thread to discuss details.  

18 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Well I think some would like this to be spoiler free for a while longer.  If you assume otherwise than why didn't you ask a direct question about a character?   

Anyhow, for those who are well versed on the "canon" (which isn't me) then I have a temporary thread to discuss details.  

I explained why in your other thread.

That is how I view the Hangout.

I haven't seen a SW movie in theaters since the Phantom Menace. It comes out so fast on digital now I almost don't notice much time passing. I must be in the minority that I can take in spoiler reviews and still go and see the film and make up my own mind. But I'll try not to ruin it for others.

I was going to post Yong Yea's(spoiler free) review of the film. He's usually a pretty fair guy. But seeing as the review was 11 mins long I knew it was highly unlikely that he didn't let something slip. He did let one of the plot twists out at 7 min in. So I decided not to post it.

I just saw it this past weekend. It was... OK? The series definitely lost me emotionally a long while ago. I love the first two (parts 4 and 5), and am pretty iffy on the rest (Rogue One was decent), but have still seen them all. I’m pretty glad it’s over, honestly, it was overdue. I know there will be a million more spinoff films from Disney, most of which won’t interest me (unless they come out with a Sy Snootles backstory biopic, ha). 

3 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

I just saw it this past weekend. It was... OK? The series definitely lost me emotionally a long while ago. I love the first two (parts 4 and 5), and am pretty iffy on the rest (Rogue One was decent), but have still seen them all. I’m pretty glad it’s over, honestly, it was overdue. I know there will be a million more spinoff films from Disney, most of which won’t interest me (unless they come out with a Sy Snootles backstory biopic, ha). 

I’m with you on the series as a whole.    The original film was incredibly innovative and great storytelling.    The second one deepened the characters and in my opinion was even better then the first.      I really don’t think any of the others were all that great, and in particular, the first two in the current trilogy are just incredibly redundant of the original trilogy.    But, I will go see the finale tomorrow night.     

The current trilogy has some of the worst character building I've ever seen. They get to the third movie and the characters are still kind of strangers. Does Hollywood think the populace is so stupid that we can't follow a good story?

Straight to 11 baby! Boom! Explosions! Sparkly Twinkly! Jump to next scene!