Jump to content
Legend_Of_Joey

Buck lays into Mountcastle during "reassignment to minor camp" and possible new position?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I’m inclined to think Buck has those kinds of talks. Especially since he regularly visits minor league affiliates throughout the year. 

Buck isn’t the kind of manager that calls out players unless it’s warranted. It’s what makes him such a strong players’ manager.

The other thing is that young, relatively high draft picks require life lessons when warranted lest they go through life almost with a silver spoon a la Manziel.

Right, regularly, since he has so much dead time during the season. 🙄

He probably gets out to 50 or more games a year..oh wait, I'm guessing it's more like five.

Buck doesn't call out his guys.  He's more willing to call out a Mountcastle or a Kim.

As for life lessons, care to give me some examples of when he did it other high draft picks?  Where was Manny's life lesson?  A good time might have been when he threw the bat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, regularly, since he has so much dead time during the season. 🙄

He probably gets out to 50 or more games a year..oh wait, I'm guessing it's more like five.

Buck doesn't call out his guys.  He's more willing to call out a Mountcastle or a Kim.

As for life lessons, care to give me some examples of when he did it other high draft picks?  Where was Manny's life lesson?  A good time might have been when he threw the bat.

Buck certainly calls out his guys where appropriate. He had a particularly loaded interview recently about Chris Davis. Hell, prior to the O's resigning him...don't you recall him saying "How much is enough?" to the media.

But it's fairly obvious once you've made it to the show and have a rapport w/ Buck, he has a different way of handling things with them. As well he should. They've earned the respect, the history. We don't know what's happened behind closed doors with Mountcastle. Do you legitimately think Buck doesn't talk to the minor league coaches? That he doesn't have a full writeup of Mountcastle's overall attitude? That's all part of the package when trying to assess if Buck is acting inappropriately. I'm inclined to trust Buck here.

I stand by my original statement that young/new players, especially those with a bit of cockiness to them need extra...attention, so to speak. Have we heard Showalter call out Mancini? Chance Sisco? 

I don't know why you can't give Buck Showalter the benefit of the doubt when it comes to certain players. Is it possible that Mountcastle is a cocky, high draft pick, young kid who needs some life lessons? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buck could chew out the entire squad daily at this point and it wouldn’t make much difference imo. Yelling and berating them isn’t going to change their inability to score runs or suddenly have a better bullpen. They are way beyond that as a solution. I seriously think this is the worst Orioles offense I’ve seen since we had sluggers like Brook Fordyce, Geronimo Gil, Craig Worthington,  Delino Deshields, and Glenn Davis.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Old#5fan said:

Buck could chew out the entire squad daily at this point and it wouldn’t make much difference imo. Yelling and berating them isn’t going to change their inability to score runs or suddenly have a better bullpen. They are way beyond that as a solution. I seriously think this is the worst Orioles offense I’ve seen since we had sluggers like Brook Fordyce, Geronimo Gil, Craig Worthington,  Delino Deshields, and Glenn Davis.

This is a thread about a minor leaguer. And his improvements.  Not those veterans that are gone at the end of the season, like Buck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stumbled upon this thread and felt compelled to see how much of a difference Buck's 'talk' had with Ryan back in 2017.  His walks went up from 17 to 26 in 2018.  Not a lot it seems.  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Prayin4Reign said:

I stumbled upon this thread and felt compelled to see how much of a difference Buck's 'talk' had with Ryan back in 2017.  His walks went up from 17 to 26 in 2018.  Not a lot it seems.  🙂

53% increase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...