Greg

Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

3rd round pick..not horrible...

Our 3rd highest pick...likely to be #51...second round.    Not horrible at all...Cobb for a pick...i will take it every single day

57 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

We don't need a 5th starter until April 9th. He should be ready by then.

Don't we need one April 4?

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

And if Cobb signed elsewhere, Sherman would have tweeted that the Orioles wasted the chance to compete this year while they still had Britton, Machado, Jones, Brach...

Eh -- they are still behind the Yanks and Sawx on paper.  But they just got a lot more competitive with them.  Perhaps within margin for error.  And if they still finish 3rd in the AL East, they're in better position for that 2nd Wild Card.

I expect, if they make it, that they will play that one game either in Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium.  We all know anything can happen in one game.

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nothing personal.

We Can’t  give up on Wright so easily. That’s how we give away useful parts like Bridwell and Miranda. Label them 4A guys and lose them for nothing. 

Let Wright learn how to get MLB hitters out in low leverage situations in the pen. 

People preach development on here and then don’t have the stomach to see it out. Sounds good. 

Putting aside the merits of putting Wright in the pen, Wright has had plenty of time to “develop.”   He has 857 professional innings to his credit.    So put him in the pen if you think he’s one of our best 7.   If not, DFA him and see if he goes unclaimed.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

He better be ready cause we're playing 14 games in the AL East in April!

Roch posted Cobb's #s v. East. He's more than ready.

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

Roch posted Cobb's #s v. East. He's more than ready.

Much of the appeal attached to Cobb centers on his experience and comfort within the division. He’s 6-4 with a 3.43 ERA and 1.254 WHIP in 14 starts against the Red Sox, 6-4 with a 2.99 ERA and 0.996 WHIP in 14 starts against the Yankees and 3-3 with a 3.23 ERA and 1.056 WHIP in eight starts versus the Blue Jays. He’s gone 6-2 with a 2.70 ERA and 1.200 WHIP in 12 starts against the Orioles.

I like Cobb, but I don’t understand the plan at all.

Say Cobb keeps us in contention for a wildcard, we’re really just going to let Manny walk?

Even with Cobb, I don’t see us as realistic contenders for a championship, maybe a wildcard. We still lack team speed and OPS to be consistent enough to win in the post season. Plus even after adding Cobb there are still a lot of question marks in the rotation, including Cobb’s ERA outside of Tampa.

Outside of Hays, I don’t see our prospects as being all that great. Most rankings I’ve seen has our farm system in the bottom 3rd.

Seems like this should have been a no brainer fire sale/rebuilding year with so much uncertainty to the core of our team. Yet we are committing big chunks of money to 3-4 years?

Hoping it all works out, but I’m seriously concerned about 2019 and beyond.

12 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

SteveA, in my opinion the priority next step is extending Schoop.  They missed the boat on Machado but with Schoop there is still a chance.  They do that, and maybe even extend a couple other youngsters (Givens, Mancini, Beckham) and yes they are looking ok for the future.

Agree 100%.

I thought about putting "and if they extend Schoop we could have a really great lineup" in my post.   But because they have tended to miss the boat when it comes to extending YOUNG talent, I couldn't make the assumption that they would do that.   I sure as heck hope they do

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

All 4 will be back next year, with Harvey added in the mix.

All but Gausman likely back the next year, and Akin could be ready.

Gausman is under team control through 2020.    Cashner is the one who might not be back that year (there’s an option that vests at 340 IP over the next 2 years and becomes a player option st 360 IP).

We're going for it now.  Fine.

I'll be fine moving on from Jones and Brach next year and maybe we get lucky and DOD and Trumbo go elsewhere, too.  Davis is just here.

Manny and Britton will be the bad separations... but so be it.  At least we get a pick for Manny and we'll get a ton of money back for hopefully another impact FA.