Greg

Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

Just put $500 on the OVER for 72 wins.  I hope he passes the physical.  :)

Keep any Rule5 with promise over Wright.  I'd bet he passes through waivers.

Odds Selected Lines Risk To Win
Straight Bet  
3/20/2018 9:08 PM
 + 135 Over 73 regular season wins  2018 MLB REGULAR SEASON WINS - REGULAR SEASON WINS Baltimore Orioles most regular season wins , MLB 3/29/2018 4:10 PM                500   675

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

No, we have a day off on the 30th. The rotation can start over with normal rest on the 4th.

You are wrong.

March 29 -- Starter 1

March 31 -- Starter 2

April 1 -- Starter 3

April 2 -- Starter 4

April 3 -- Starter 1 on normal rest

Who goes April 4?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you are saying this team is better on paper than that team was on paper before the season was played, I’d have to think about it.    I thought you were comparing this team on paper to the 2014 team as the players actually performed that year.   That pitching staff maxed out (except Ubaldo), Pearce had a great year, Cruz exceeded expectations, etc.

I think the O's or any other team in a similar market needs to have a season where some of their players exceed expectations to be a World Series threat. Just how it is.

Even the Royals didn't get a ton of love when they made back-to-back World Series.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So it's been in the works for a long long time and Roch still gets scooped on it.

They should toss the old boy a bone once in a while.

The team contacts he has really do him dirty from time to time, he’s been writing all spring training about Wynns being a frontrunner for the 2nd C spot when I doubt that was ever the case.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You are wrong.

March 29 -- Starter 1

March 31 -- Starter 2

April 1 -- Starter 3

April 2 -- Starter 4

April 3 -- Starter 1 on normal rest

Who goes April 4?

Got me.

1 minute ago, weams said:
yPdM1LQU_normal.jpg Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch)
This deal with Cobb has been in the works, I’m told, for “a long long time.” Didn’t just come together overnight. And there are zero concerns about the physical. Should be official tomorrow #orioles

If that is true then I guess there was a plan after all.  I think credit needs to be given that the Orioles signed 2 of the 5 top starting pitchers on the market.

• Upvote 1

Early in the offseason mlbtr predicted a 4 yr/48 million deal for Cobb. Then prices went down from there. Lynn signed a 1 year 12 million deal. So I don't think there is any doubt that we over paid for Cobb. The whole world knew that we had to add a decent starter. And Cobb was the last man standing. That drove his price up. That said, I am excited to have him. And I think he gives this team a punchers chance in the AL East. I also think he adds to the starting pitching inventory of this team beyond this year, which is a good thing.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because you would be an infielder instead of a centerfielder.

Do you think Kershaw can't be a generational talent because of Trout?

Pitchers and hitters are such different animals that I’d say they can both be generational talents.  I’m not sure I’d see infield vs. outfield that way.    Even if I did, this is a pretty amazing group of infielders: Arenado, Correa, Lindor, Bryant, Seager, Altuve.   Manny may turn out to have the best career of that group, but odds of that are probably less than 50/50.   The odds that he’ll have the best career of any player to come from the Orioles’ organization in a 20 year period are really high.   

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

The team contacts he has really do him dirty from time to time, he’s been writing all spring training about Wynns being a frontrunner for the 2nd C spot when I doubt that was ever the case.

My favorite was when he guaranteed that Loewen would stay with the O's.  Adam of course bolted for the Blue Jays.

Regardless of the “the deal has been in the works for a long long time”, comment. I’m still saying this happened because we are about to get a blizzard! And sorry if this is already been said, but I’m not reading all 34 pages. Just very pleased that we have Cobb!

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Pitchers and hitters are such different animals that I’d say they can both be generational talents.  I’m not sure I’d see infield vs. outfield that way.    Even if I did, this is a pretty amazing group of infielders: Arenado, Correa, Lindor, Bryant, Seager, Altuve.   Manny may turn out to have the best career of that group, but odds of that are probably less than 50/50.   The odds that he’ll have the best career of any player to come from the Orioles’ organization in a 20 year period are really high.   

I'm not arguing that Manny is in fact a generational talent.

But I do think there is room for more than one (and less than 30) at a time.