Greg

Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

1 minute ago, El_Duderino said:

This move absolutely had to be made. We were staring down the barrel at 2/5ths of our rotation being really suspect. 

Some of us suspect Cashner.

• Upvote 1

Before everyone calls this an overpay (I don't think it is at all) remember that you pay a premium to get a quality starter to come to Camden Yards and pitch in the AL East.  I realize Cobb was already in the AL East but Tropicana is a far cry from Camden Yards.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theobird said:

Early in the offseason mlbtr predicted a 4 yr/48 million deal for Cobb. Then prices went down from there. Lynn signed a 1 year 12 million deal. So I don't think there is any doubt that we over paid for Cobb. The whole world knew that we had to add a decent starter. And Cobb was the last man standing. That drove his price up. That said, I am excited to have him. And I think he gives this team a punchers chance in the AL East. I also think he adds to the starting pitching inventory of this team beyond this year, which is a good thing.

I'm not surprised we overpaid.  

* Huge hitters park

* Huge hitters division

* Huge hitters league

* Everybody and their brother knew that if the FO wasn't going to trade Machado, they'd have to bring in at least two real starting pitchers.  They got Cashner.  Tillman doesn't count.  Once the others were off the board, Cobb was left.

Other notes

* If Lynn struggles this year he's going to look like a complete chump for turning down multi year deals.  

* If this doesn't put to rest the whining about collusion, I don't know what will.  Cobb got paid, Darvish got paid, Arrieta got paid, Hosmer got paid.  Lynn is taking a risky bet on himself for a year.  Moustakis is overrated and everyone thought he'd decline.  Holland is a reliever who had a horrible end to last year's season.  Enough of the grumbling.  Even with the FA tsunami next year and the luxury tax concerns, people still got paid who deserved it.  

Just now, ChuckS said:

Before everyone calls this an overpay (I don't think it is at all) remember that you pay a premium to get a quality starter to come to Camden Yards and pitch in the AL East.  I realize Cobb was already in the AL East but Tropicana is a far cry from Camden Yards.  

Paying a premium is what makes it an overpay.

I am very pleased by this signing. I like Cobb to begin with, and if we aren't going to burn it down, we have to "go for it" (Orioles lackadaisical-style) this year. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Paying a premium is what makes it an overpay.

We aren't on a level playing field when it comes to acquiring SP talent.  Pitchers don't want to come here.  We may have paid a premium, but the contract is within reason and the premium should be expected. 

Doesn't excuse overpaying for Tillman when no one else would give him a major league deal, but this is what it probably took.  You know we were probably fighting that fourth year to the very end. 

4 minutes ago, nsw said:

if we aren't going to burn it down, we have to "go for it" (Orioles lackadaisical-style) this year. 

xD  

So Orioles that our big free agent signee won't be ready to pitch until the end of April.

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

We aren't on a level playing field when it comes to acquiring SP talent.  Pitchers don't want to come here.  We may have paid a premium, but the contract is within reason and the premium should be expected. 

Doesn't excuse overpaying for Tillman when no one else would give him a major league deal, but this is what it probably took.  You know we were probably fighting that fourth year to the very end. 

All I am saying is if you have to pay a premium than the end result is going to be an overpay.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

The Tillmans signing is a nothingburger as long as it doesn't stop them from giving him the hook if he stinks in April.  Of course, with a penny wise pound foolish organization like this one, it would be just like them to doggedly hang on to Tillman past the trade deadline with a 7.00 ERA because of that pesky $3 million guaranteed. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some of us suspect Cashner.

Fair, I guess it’s all relative. I can see any of the five imploding - I think that’s just the nature of MLB pitching. 

Dan did well for himself on his 2018 wish list after all

1) two viable starters and depth - Cashner and Cobb, with Tillman and Cortes for depth, CHECK

2) left handed hitting, primarily in the form of a RF - Rasmus with Pedro and Presley for depth, CHECK

3) left handed relief depth - Edgin and Joely, Cortes too, was enough depth to send Hart back to AAA, CHECK

4) Catching depth - Susac, enough to send Wynns to AAA for now and maybe even Sisco, CHECK

5) Middle infield depth - switch Manny to SS, switch the strategy, Beckham is the back up SS/2B and now we have big bopper Velencia to feast on lefties.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

All I am saying is if you have to pay a premium than the end result is going to be an overpay.

We're arguing semantics here.  I tend to only classify something as an overpay if it is relative to the park and league-adjusted price for someone.  But I can see how an absolute approach could define it as anything above what he's projected to get.  Tomato, tomahto.  So yeah we paid a lot, and I actually do think it was an overpay even considering our hitters park and hitters league.  Still, it ended up being that because there were literally no other options left of Cobb's caliber, and the only other viable option would have been to trade Manny which the FO is dead set against.  

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don’t see how this is an overpay at all. Risky?  All FA Contracts are risky. Mikolas and Chatwood were overpays. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Dan did well for himself on his 2018 wish list after all

1) two viable starters and depth - Cashner and Cobb, with Tillman and Cortes for depth, CHECK

2) left handed hitting, primarily in the form of a RF - Rasmus with Pedro and Presley for depth, CHECK

3) left handed relief depth - Edgin and Joely, Cortes too, was enough depth to send Hart back to AAA, CHECK

4) Catching depth - Susac, enough to send Wynns to AAA for now and maybe even Sisco, CHECK

5) Middle infield depth - switch Manny to SS, switch the strategy, Beckham is the back up SS/2B and now we have big bopper Velencia to feast on lefties.

The question remains, was DD involved in any of it besides the rule 5 guys and maybe the NRI? Everything he’s said has pointed to wanting to sell off.

1 hour ago, utvolzac said:

What pick do we have to give up if it’s 4/57?

That never changes. Number 51.