Greg

Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree, people have a tendency to be very negative, when hiding behind a keyboard or smartphone.

I too, get annoyed, and wonder what team some of the really negative ones actually root for.

I wonder the same...

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I favored Cobb from the get-go, he has had success in the AL East.

Roch has the metrics:

Is there any reason to think that his work from several years ago, prior to surgery, should be weighted more highly than that of last year, post-surgery, in a slightly less competitive league?

I mean other than the idea it makes the signing look better.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

You know, all off-season, all I seen wrote in OH, is we have to sign one of the big three FA.

The team signs one of the big three, and the number 5th FA.

So, you think, somebody would be happy for at least a day? :(

OH members: "We're screwed, 2018 is hopeless! Our FO needs to sign Cashner or Cobb, or both."

Orioles FO: "Orioles have signed Cashner."

OH members: "Really?"

Orioles FO: "Yes."

OH members: "Well, Tillman and Wright suck so we need Cobb too or we're still screwed."

Orioles FO: "Orioles have signed Cobb."

OH members: (rub eyes in disbelief) "Really? He passed the physical?"

Orioles FO: "Yes."

OH members: "Well, we overpaid."

Orioles FO: "Maybe, maybe not. But we're doing our best to be competitive. Thought that's what you wanted?"

OH members: (searching BBC news frantically) "Well, Trump/North Korea/Putin/Global warming are still going to ruin 2018. So, we're still screwed."

Orioles FO: (raise hands to the sky in exasperation)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its nice that when they claimed they was still in negotiations for another SP, they really was.

I surely hope that none here exclaimed that it was (dare I say?) "fake news or alternate facts" when "they" claimed that!  If so, shame on "them"!

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Is there any reason to think that his work from several years ago, prior to surgery, should be weighted more highly than that of last year, post-surgery, in a slightly less competitive league?

I mean other than the idea it makes the signing look better.

I think its more of a mental fortitude, and not just skillset.

I

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I surely hope that none here exclaimed that it was (dare I say?) "fake news or alternate facts" when "they" claimed that!  If so, shame on "them"!

I think some was of the believe, yeah sure they are, I believe when it happens,.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I wasn't for signing Cobb, but now that it's done, I gotta give the O's credit for making a bold (and expensive) move to try to compete and improve their product.   

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree, people have a tendency to be very negative, when hiding behind a keyboard or smartphone.

I too, get annoyed, and wonder what team some of the really negative ones actually root for.

I get annoyed when people question someone questions one's fanhood because he's critical of how a team is operated or managed; I guess we are supposed to be a shill for every move made.

Just now, mcgraw238 said:

I get annoyed when people question someone questions one's fanhood because he's critical of how a team is operated or managed; I guess we are supposed to be a shill for every move made.

Yeah but some people don't offer real suggestions on how to operate the team. They would be negative no matter what the team did.  I highly doubt some of them are fans of the team.  And if the team did listen to what they said the team would win 45 games a year. 

Just now, mcgraw238 said:

True, critical for discussion sake, and I can respect the difference of opinion and agree to disagree.

But there are a couple that are clearly so negative on every single move, that its trollish.

Just now, atomic said:

Yeah but some people don't offer real suggestions on how to operate the team. They would be negative no matter what the team did.  I highly doubt some of them are fans of the team.  And if the team did listen to what they said the team would win 45 games a year. 

Well said, and very true.

3 hours ago, weams said:

In the history of the draft the 88th pick overall has only provided a combined total of 25 WAR.  And 14 of that WAR came in one player.  Pretty much a lottery ticket at that point.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

In the history of the draft the 88th pick overall has only provided a combined total of 25 WAR.  And 14 of that WAR came in one player.  Pretty much a lottery ticket at that point.  

bottom line, most likely what they gain from Cobb will far outweigh what they would have got from the lost pick.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

You know, all off-season, all I seen wrote in OH, is we have to sign one of the big three FA.

The team signs one of the big three, and the number 5th FA.

So, you think, somebody would be happy for at least a day? :(

Rick I have been negative sometimes too. But I am glad to have Cobb on the team. That gives me some hope for the team.  

I'm so stoked.  Cobb was the guy I wanted them to sign from the start.  The AL East track record is huge in my eyes.  And I just confirmed last night that I'm going to Opening Day.  A lot has to go right, but this team has a legit chance to make the playoffs, and the talent to advance if they get there.

My Dad, brother and I are also heading up to Boston from 4/13 - 4/15, we're catching the Friday and Saturday games, and then flying home Sunday morning.  Can't wait for that - we might actually be able to hang a couple of L's on them!

• Upvote 1