Jump to content
Greg

Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

Rapids changes in peripherals like Cashner's last year don't typically allow long term success. Historically players who have seen drops like his have bombed out soon after. Which is projections using historical data don't like him.

Yea I remember someone else posted pitchers with similar changes in peripherals, and their decline the following year wasn't pretty. 

Lets hope for the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would throw so much money on Cashner being better than Miley this year. The hell with a projection.

Yeah I don't really care how Miley does this year but Cashner should be upgrade to 2017 version of Miley.   And upgrade over Wright. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

I don't think that matters.  What matters is that Cashner is better than 2017 Miley.

I don't think that matters. 2017 is over. A team is being built for 2018.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, orioles4lyfe said:

Yea I remember someone else posted pitchers with similar changes in peripherals, and their decline the following year wasn't pretty. 

Lets hope for the best. 

A poster on r/baseball did the actual research. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the contract value is no more than $49.9MM. Don't want Tampa getting a "first-round" pick. Cobb should understand that and work with Baltimore to ensure they don't get one. They will stick get a pick after Competitive Balance Round B.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, orioles4lyfe said:

Yea I remember someone else posted pitchers with similar changes in peripherals, and their decline the following year wasn't pretty. 

Lets hope for the best. 

Cashner absolutely needs to turn around that K/BB ratio to be successful this year or we're looking at a Gallardo redux.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see nothing that tells me Cashner will bomb out this season. He has all the stuff working, and the stuff looks good. He can command it pretty well. I dunno. He just looks good out there.

Don't forget to use the old eyeballs every now and then, folks.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I don't think that matters. 2017 is over. A team is being built for 2018.

I don't want Wade Miley back, but his ERA splits between Castillo (6.80 ERA) and Caleb (4.06 ERA) were dramatic last year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Cashner absolutely needs to turn around that K/BB ratio to be successful this year or we're looking at a Gallardo redux.  

Throwing 95? Na. Maybe he decided being a sinkerballer worked better for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

Rapid changes in peripherals like Cashner's last year don't typically allow long term success. Historically players who have seen drops like his have bombed out soon after. Which is why projections using historical data don't like him.

Maybe he can figure out how to throw an off-speed or breaking pitch.  His velocity is still top-tier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I see nothing that tells me Cashner will bomb out this season. He has all the stuff working, and the stuff looks good. He can command it pretty well. I dunno. He just looks good out there.

Don't forget to use the old eyeballs every now and then, folks.

Yeah, I'll take decades of historical data over a couple of spring training starts. If he doesn't improve the peripherals, he's going to be bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...