Greg

Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

Rapids changes in peripherals like Cashner's last year don't typically allow long term success. Historically players who have seen drops like his have bombed out soon after. Which is projections using historical data don't like him.

Yea I remember someone else posted pitchers with similar changes in peripherals, and their decline the following year wasn't pretty. 

Lets hope for the best. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would throw so much money on Cashner being better than Miley this year. The hell with a projection.

Yeah I don't really care how Miley does this year but Cashner should be upgrade to 2017 version of Miley.   And upgrade over Wright. 

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

I don't think that matters.  What matters is that Cashner is better than 2017 Miley.

I don't think that matters. 2017 is over. A team is being built for 2018.

• Upvote 1

Just now, orioles4lyfe said:

Yea I remember someone else posted pitchers with similar changes in peripherals, and their decline the following year wasn't pretty. 

Lets hope for the best. 

A poster on r/baseball did the actual research. 

I hope the contract value is no more than $49.9MM. Don't want Tampa getting a "first-round" pick. Cobb should understand that and work with Baltimore to ensure they don't get one. They will stick get a pick after Competitive Balance Round B.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, orioles4lyfe said:

Lets hope for the best. 

Cashner absolutely needs to turn around that K/BB ratio to be successful this year or we're looking at a Gallardo redux.  

I see nothing that tells me Cashner will bomb out this season. He has all the stuff working, and the stuff looks good. He can command it pretty well. I dunno. He just looks good out there.

Don't forget to use the old eyeballs every now and then, folks.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I don't think that matters. 2017 is over. A team is being built for 2018.

I don't want Wade Miley back, but his ERA splits between Castillo (6.80 ERA) and Caleb (4.06 ERA) were dramatic last year.  

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Cashner absolutely needs to turn around that K/BB ratio to be successful this year or we're looking at a Gallardo redux.  

Throwing 95? Na. Maybe he decided being a sinkerballer worked better for him.

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

Rapid changes in peripherals like Cashner's last year don't typically allow long term success. Historically players who have seen drops like his have bombed out soon after. Which is why projections using historical data don't like him.

Maybe he can figure out how to throw an off-speed or breaking pitch.  His velocity is still top-tier.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I see nothing that tells me Cashner will bomb out this season. He has all the stuff working, and the stuff looks good. He can command it pretty well. I dunno. He just looks good out there.

Don't forget to use the old eyeballs every now and then, folks.

Yeah, I'll take decades of historical data over a couple of spring training starts. If he doesn't improve the peripherals, he's going to be bad.