Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ORIOLE33

If Schoop Has A Better Season Than Manny, Are You Ready To Say That He’s Better?

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Natty said:

Schoop was better all last year, he is better this year. There, I said it. We should do everything we can to keep Schoop. We can't stop Manny from going to the Jankees anyhow... 

Why would the Yankees want to spend big money on Manny.  They already have a better shortstop and their top prospect is a 3B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, brooksfrankjim said:

Why would the Yankees want to spend big money on Manny.  They already have a better shortstop and their top prospect is a 3B.

I dont know, ask Judge. And because they have big money to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a week into the season, let's wait until at least June for this conversation.

Do agree with others, that a $250M contract for Manny would probably be an overpay long term. Manny needs to step up his offensive game.  Defense is a large part of his value, maybe less so playing SS.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 5:21 PM, ORIOLE33 said:

I know this is a thread that will open me up to be criticized anytime Manny goes off and Schoop pulls an 0 for. But my eyes aren’t lying. Schoop seems to have the better at-bats on a regular basis. I would much rather have him up in a big moment than probably anybody else in the lineup. 

So, just wondering how you’re feeling about Schoop vs. Manny right now?

My point here is merely to say that in April, stats vary drastically from day to day, and it’s all too easy to see a hot or cold week by someone and blow it completely out of proportion.    Schoop was up and Manny was down when you started this thread a week ago; now it’s the reverse.    Both players will have their hot and cold streaks during the year.     Manny looks very comfortable at the plate right now and Schoop doesn’t.    Does it mean anything for the long haul?    I tend to believe the long-term numbers over the smaller samples, even a full year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manny is 25. He's played 776 games, he's gotten 877 hits and 141 homers.  He has a 117 OPS+, has a couple of very legitimate Gold Gloves and could have more, he's at least a pretty good shortstop.  He has three top-10 MVP finishes.  And he's played at least 156 games in each of the last three seasons. 

Jonathan Schoop is actually older than Manny, and trails him in essentially everything. He's played 200 fewer games, he has a 100 OPS+.  Schoop's best season in plate discipline was last year where he walked 35 times and struck out 142.  He's finished 12th in the MVP voting once, and that pretty fairly represents his performances.  Here's how Schoop and Manny would rank if you listed their top seasons by rWAR:

Manny 2015
Manny 2016
Manny 2013
Schoop 2017
Manny 2017
Schoop 2016
Manny 2014
Manny 2012
Schoop 2015
Schoop 2014

Manny will almost certainly finish his career with twice or more the total value of Schoop.  Currently he's nearly three times.  My guess is that Manny has about an 80% chance of eventually going to Cooperstown.  Schoop is probably around 10-20%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

 I tend to believe the long-term numbers over the smaller samples, even a full year.

That'll get you a long way in baseball.

Manny's top comps on bb-ref: Ron Santo, Ryan Zimmerman, Andruw Jones, Justin Upton, Ruben Sierra, Adrian Beltre, Bryce Harper.

Schoop's: Juan Samuel, Jim Presley, Earl Williams, Matt Williams, Eugenio Suarez, Jhonny Peralta, Aramis Ramirez.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 9:16 PM, brooksfrankjim said:

Why would the Yankees want to spend big money on Manny.  They already have a better shortstop and their top prospect is a 3B.

they won't sign Manny. They are not spending big money on any outsiders unless it is pitching. And if they did sign him it would be to play 3B. So, ironically Manny may have removed himself from any consideration the Yanks had for him. (I won't go down the rabbit trail of complaining about how stupid it was for us to put him at SS thus making our weak defense even weaker.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

So, just wondering how you’re feeling about Schoop vs. Manny right now?

My point here is merely to say that in April, stats vary drastically from day to day, and it’s all too easy to see a hot or cold week by someone and blow it completely out of proportion.    Schoop was up and Manny was down when you started this thread a week ago; now it’s the reverse.    Both players will have their hot and cold streaks during the year.     Manny looks very comfortable at the plate right now and Schoop doesn’t.    Does it mean anything for the long haul?    I tend to believe the long-term numbers over the smaller samples, even a full year.

Maybe Manny saw this thread and woke up.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Maybe Manny saw this thread and woke up.

The problem with most top-level athletes is that they don't recognize when they're playing badly and someone has to remind them and then they'll go right back to being elite.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...