Sign in to follow this  
DirtyBird

2018 A - Delmarva Shorebirds

10 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Think this Baumann kid is gonna be pretty, pretty, pretty good. 

Jacksonville University pipeline

Done for the night.

5 ip, 4 h, 1 bb, 10 K

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Done for the night.

5 ip, 4 h, 1 bb, 10 K

Is it too early to say this guy should have started in Frederick?  A few more lines like this and they should be able to bump him up.  Already 22 years old. 

11 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Is Lowther getting bumped up to the Frederick rotation? Odd that he wouldn't be one of the first guys to pitch given his age and dominance in Aberdeen. 

I can see DL Hall and Gray Fenter piggy backing the fifth starter spot.  

Will DeBoer

BAUMANN, ‘BIRDS BLANK TOURISTS ON OPENING NIGHT
O’s No. 15 prospect fans 10 in five innings; Delmarva wins 2-0

SALISBURY, MD - Michael Baumann struck out 10 batters over five masterful innings, powering the Delmarva Shorebirds to a 2-0 season-opening shutout win over the Asheville Tourists on Thursday night at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.

Baumann (1-0), the 15th-ranked prospect in the Orioles system, scattered four hits and one walk over five scoreless innings in his first start for the Shorebirds (1-0). He had nine strikeouts through four frames and fanned one more in the fifth to crack double digits.

Scott Burke took the baton in the sixth and faced the minimum over three scoreless innings out of the bullpen. Reed Hayes notched his first save of the season with a scoreless ninth, delivering Delmarva to its third opening day shutout in the past four seasons.

Antonio Santos (0-1) took the hard-luck loss for the Tourists (0-1), allowing two runs (one earned) on four hits in six innings, walking one and striking out four.

Baumann’s only real trouble came in the top of the second inning. Chad Spanberger led off with a double, then after a strikeout Ramon Marcelino singled to put men on the corners. Bret Boswell then worked a full-count walk, the only free pass from Shorebird pitching all day, to load the bases. Baumann dug down deep, though, freezing both Matt McLaughlin and Robbie Perkins for back-to-back strikeouts to quell the threat.

Delmarva broke through for its first run in the bottom of the second. Ben Breazeale led off with a full-count walk and advanced to third on back-to-back groundouts. Ryan Ripken then fisted a grounder past short and into center for an RBI single, bringing home Breazeale.

The Shorebirds added an insurance run thanks to some Asheville miscues in the bottom of the sixth. Mason McCoy scorched a hard grounder that deflected off third baseman McLaughlin’s glove and into left for a one-out single. Two batters later, Breazeale slapped one in front of home plate, and catcher Robbie Perkins sailed the throw into right field, putting men on second and third with two out. McCoy then scampered home on a Santos wild pitch, giving Delmarva some breathing room at 2-0.

That was more than enough for Burke, who snagged a comeback liner to force a nifty double play in the seventh inning and cruised through the eighth for the hold. Hayes gave up a one-out single to Spanberger in the ninth but got Sean Bouchard to fly out to right and struck out Marcelino to end it.

Ripken finished the day a perfect 3-for-3 at the plate and picked up the game’s only RBI. McCoy went 1-for-4 with a run, while T.J. Nichting notched a double in the fifth.

Spanberger and Marcelino each had multi-hit games for the Tourists.

7 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Is Lowther getting bumped up to the Frederick rotation? Odd that he wouldn't be one of the first guys to pitch given his age and dominance in Aberdeen. 

I can see DL Hall and Gray Fenter piggy backing the fifth starter spot.  

Steve says no 

Looking up and down that Delmarva starting lineup I'm not sure I've seen a Delmarva roster littered with more non-prospects (from a positional standpoint).  Not a single player in the top 30 there unless I am mistaken.  Curran and Craport are worth following but I'm not sure either made the top 30. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Looking up and down that Delmarva starting lineup I'm not sure I've seen a Delmarva roster littered with more non-prospects (from a positional standpoint).  Not a single player in the top 30 there unless I am mistaken.  Curran and Craport are worth following but I'm not sure either made the top 30. 

Yeah, it's not loaded to say the least. It would have been nice to see Adam Hall and Lamar Sparks there. I think the team is still going to win a ton, the pitching staff is loaded and deep.

I'd add Breazeale, McCoy, and Becker as other position players worth following.

• Upvote 1