Sign in to follow this  
DirtyBird

2018 A - Delmarva Shorebirds

7 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Disappointed to not see Adam Hall on the Shorebirds roster.  

If he didn't get hurt last season and miss all of the GCL, I think he would of made it.

Also, Alex Katz got the save last night. Interesting line: lead off home run, strike out, walk, strikeout, walk, strikeout to end the game.

• Upvote 1

Will DeBoer

BATS BACK BISHOP, SHOREBIRDS OUTLAST TOURISTS

Moesquit steals four bases to pace Delmarva attack

SALISBURY, MD - The Delmarva Shorebirds scored six unanswered runs and held off a late charge to beat the Asheville Tourists 6-5 on Friday night at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.

Cameron Bishop (1-0) settled down after a rocky first inning, allowing two runs (one earned) on four hits in six innings. He walked three and struck out six on the way to the first Shorebirds (2-0) quality start of the season.

Breiling Eusebio (0-1) took the loss for the Tourists (0-2), allowing four runs on seven hits in 4.2 innings. Alex Katz worked out of trouble in the ninth to notch his first save of the year.

After getting shut out the night before, Asheville opened the scoring immediately with two in the first. Ryan Vilade worked a one-out walk, stole a base, and came in to score on a Casey Golden RBI double. Golden later swiped third and scored on a passed ball to boost the Tourist lead to 2-0.

Delmarva got one of those runs back in the bottom of the second. Ben Breazeale led off with a single, and Trevor Craport doubled him to third two batters later. Ryan Ripken then put the ball in play for an RBI groundout to score Breazeale.

Zach Jarrett led off the third by getting ahold of an Eusebio fastball for the first Shorebird home run of the season, tying the game at 2-2. Kirvin Moesquit followed with a single and promptly stole second base. Three batters later, Breazeale found the hole on the left side for a two-out single, plating Moesquit to make it 3-2 Shorebirds.

Will Robertson knocked in another run in the fifth with a comeback line drive up the middle to score Moesquit. Robertson got in on the act again in the seventh, leading off with a single. After a strikeout, T.J. Nichting laced a grounder down the left field line and into the corner for a double. Robertson raced home and slid in ahead of the tag, and Nichting promptly took third on the throw. Nichting’s awareness paid off on the very next pitch, as he scampered home on Craport’s sac fly to center, making it 6-2 Delmarva.

The Tourists fought back in the top of the eighth, producing a run on three straight singles from Shael Mendoza, Vilade, and Golden. After a popout, Chad Spanberger beat out a fielder’s choice, and Vilade scored from third to make it 6-4.

Bret Boswell welcomed Katz into the game by taking him to left for an opposite field home run to lead off the ninth, cutting the Delmarva lead to one run. Katz then embarked on a LaLooshian journey, striking out Taylor Snyder on three pitchers and walking Hidekel Gonzalez on four. After Mendoza fanned on three pitches, Vilade worked out a five-pitch walk, putting the tying and go-ahead runs on base for Golden. Katz went quickly ahead 0-2 but Golden fouled off four two-strike pitches to stay alive. Pitch number seven was the lucky one for Katz, who tied up Golden inside with a breaking ball for the game-ending strikeout, sending a paying Perdue Stadium crowd of 4,188 home happy.

Moesquit sparked the Delmarva offense from the leadoff slot, finishing 4-for-5 with two runs and four stolen bases. Jarrett finished 2-for-4 with his solo home run; he also showed off range in left field, making a leaping catch against the wall in the second inning and gunning down Snyder trying to stretch a single into a double in the fifth.

Golden finished 2-for-5 with a double, run, stolen base, and two RBIs to pace the Tourists. Vilade went 2-for-3 with pairs of runs and walks, as well as one of three Asheville stolen bases on the night.

2017 Shorebird starter Zach Muckenhirn pitched two innings in relief for the Shorebirds to pick up a hold in his first appearance of 2018, helping the Shorebirds to their first 2-0 start since 2011.

Matthias Dietz is starting tonight:  Touches 100 but gets hit around like he tops out in the high 80's.  I would think the fastball alone be enough to dominate low A hitters (19 and 20 year olds).  Then you add poor command on top of that and it's tough to consider him much of a prospect.  He's already 22. 

Wonder how long it takes before they move him to the pen.  With seven starters in both the Delmarva and Frederick rotations I would think the herd needs to be thinned out some, so the guys who matter can build up innings. 

11 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Matthias Dietz is starting tonight:  Touches 100 but gets hit around like he tops out in the high 80's.  I would think the fastball alone be enough to dominate low A hitters (19 and 20 year olds).  Then you add poor command on top of that and it's tough to consider him much of a prospect.  He's already 22. 

Wonder how long it takes before they move him to the pen.  With seven starters in both the Delmarva and Frederick rotations I would think the herd needs to be thinned out some, so the guys who matter can build up innings. 

It is enough to get younger hitters, he had an 18.2% K rate, 6% BB rate, and allowed 0 home runs against younger hitters last year.

He doesn't miss bats because he can't throw his offspeed stuff consistently.

You have to think of Dietz as a high school draft pick because he was so raw and needed to make so many mechanical adjustments and generally learn everything (how to hold runners, field, back-up plays, etc).

He's not the guy to thin from the herd, not yet. He's going to get better as he moves up from development and from better defense. For example, 5 of the 8 hits he allowed yesterday were on GBs. 3 of those GBs were infield hits. He allowed zero extra base hits, he doesn't get barreled much.

• Upvote 1

Will DeBoer

SALISBURY, MD - On a cold Saturday night at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium, the Delmarva Shorebirds kept themselves warm on the basepaths, pounding out 18 hits and stomping the Asheville Tourists 18-3.

The Shorebirds’ (3-0) 18 runs were their most in a game since plating 18 at home against Lexington on July 14, 2015. Delmarva is off to its first 3-0 start since at least 2005, when modern MiLB recordkeeping began.

Matthias Dietz (1-0) cashed in on the offensive boon, winning his first start of the year after allowing three runs on eight hits in 5.1 innings. He walked two and struck out six, including four punchouts in a row from the third through fourth innings.

Erick Julio (0-1) took the loss for the Tourists (0-3), allowing seven runs (six earned) on six hits in four innings.

After Asheville struck on a Chad Spanberger RBI single in the top of the first inning, Delmarva seized control in the bottom of the first and never looked back. The first three Shorebirds all reached and Will Robertson drove in the first run on a single. After a double play and a walk, Trevor Craport notched his own RBI single to put the home side on top. Seamus Curran then laced a two-run double down the left field line, putting the ‘Birds up 4-1.

Curran again provided the spark in the fourth, blasting a two-run opposite-field homer down the left field line to make it 6-1. Zach Jarrett followed by drawing a walk and eventually scored on a wild pitch to add another.

The Tourists got one each back in the fifth and sixth innings. Ryan Vilade beat out an infield single to plate a run in the fifth but overran first base and was tagged out to bring the rally to a premature end. In the sixth, Taylor Snyder lifted a sac fly into left, but Travis Seabrooke limited the damage to just one run.

The dam burst open in the bottom of the sixth as the first 10 Shorebirds all reached base. The eight singles and two walks produced seven runs, and a double play grounder brought home one more to make it an eight-spot, putting the Shorebirds up 15-3. The 15 runs alone eclipsed Delmarva’s season-high of 13 runs from last season.

Delmarva rounded it up to an even 18 with three more in the bottom of the seventh. Curran brought home the second on an RBI groundout, giving him six RBIs for the game.

Seabrooke and Nick Vespi combined for 3.2 scoreless innings of relief to keep the Tourists at bay and finish it off.

Curran lit up the box score to the tune of a 3-for-5 night with a double and home run, and his six RBIs are the most for one Shorebird since Gerrion Grim plated six on June 9, 2017 against Kannapolis.

Robertson finished the game 4-for-6 with a double, two runs, and three RBIs. Craport boasted triple threes in the run, hit, and RBI columns. Branden Becker went 3-for-6 with three runs scored in his season debut.

Vilade led the way for Asheville, finishing with three hits and an RBI.

That Delmarva lineup may not be filled with great propects, but it seems like everyone in the lineup can hit.  It's looking to me like Trevor Craport has the best all-around bat, while Curran probably has the highest upside.    

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

That Delmarva lineup may not be filled with great propects, but it seems like everyone in the lineup can hit.  It's looking to me like Trevor Craport has the best all-around bat, while Curran probably has the highest upside.    

Yeah, Craport has the best chance to hit in that group IMO. 

An important thing to remember before getting too excited about some of these players in Delmarva, of the position players only...

Becker

Craport

Carillo

Curran

are prospect aged (20-21). All the other guys 2+ years older, old enough for Bowie so while that doesn’t mean to write them off, you have to take their statistical production with a significant grain of salt.

• Upvote 1