Sign in to follow this  
DirtyBird

2018 A - Delmarva Shorebirds

6 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

What about Wells last season? It was his first full season (like Lowther and Baumann) but he stayed in Delmarva. He wasn't exactly slacking either.

His FIP was 4.52 at the Sally league All-star break. He was allowing 1.41 HR/9 at that point. Post all-star break he had a 2.82 FIP and 0.64 HR/9. His K and BB rates were better as well. I think if he had his second half performance his first half, he'd have been promoted.

Another major factor is that Wells was 20 last year. Lowther is about to turn 22 and Baumann is 22 and a half.

Delmarva's Rotation through 7 games

37.1 IP, 24H, 7ER, 11BB, 48K, 1HRA

1.69 ERA

1.76 FIP

11.57 K/9

2.65 BB/9

0.24 HR/9

5.79 H/9

• Thanks 1

And in their first loss, they still get an outstanding performance from lefty Cam Bishop - who may be the most overlooked of the outstanding Delmarva staff and also in need of a promotion - being a 22 year old.  I'm impressed that he's started out the season going 6 and then 7 quality innings.  Imo, the organization needs to make sure that his development is a priority and don't let him fall by the wayside just because they have a lot of pitching prospects at Delmarva and Frederick.  

Will DeBoer

‘BIRDS SHUT OUT AT LAKEWOOD FOR FIRST LOSS
Cameron Bishop allows two runs over season-best seven innings

LAKEWOOD, NJ - The Delmarva Shorebirds saw their perfect start come to an end on Thursday night, falling 2-0 to the Lakewood BlueClaws at FirstEnergy Park for their first loss of the season.

Will Stewart (2-0) earned the win for the BlueClaws (4-4) in their home opener, holding the Shorebirds (7-1) to just four singles over six scoreless innings. He walked none and struck out four.

Cameron Bishop (1-1) took the tough loss for Delmarva, allowing two runs on six hits in seven innings, the longest start for a Shorebird this season. He struck out six and did not issue a walk in his second quality start.

Luis Ramirez got the final out of the game, preserving the Lakewood clean sheet with his first save of the year.

In a game when baserunners were hard to come by for both teams, the Shorebirds had a scoring threat in the top of the third. Seamus Curran and Jean Carrillo strung together back-to-back singles and eventually made it to second and third on a groundout. With two down, though, Stewart got Mason McCoy to ground out to short to end the threat.

In the bottom of the third, Quincy Nieporte barely cleared the fence in left center for a solo home run, his first of the season, to break the ice for the BlueClaws. Lakewood added one more in the fifth. Cole Stobbe led off with a double and got to third on a groundout, then Dalton Guthrie hoisted a sac fly into fifth, chasing home Stobbe to make it 2-0.

Stewart kept the Shorebirds at bay through six, then Jonathan Hennigan came out of the bullpen for perfect innings in the seventh and eighth.

In the ninth, Delmarva took advantage of wildness from Lakewood closer Kyle Dohy. Kirvin Moesquit and Mason McCoy led off with back-to-back walks and advanced into scoring position on a wild pitch. With the tying runs in scoring position, Dohy calmly shook it off, striking out Will Robertson and Ben Breazeale back-to-back. Right-hander Ramirez then came in to face Trevor Craport, who grounded into the shift on the left side to end the game.

Moesquit, Breazeale, Curran, and Carrillo had the only hits of the night for the Shorebirds, all singles.

Stobbe and Simon Muzziotti each had two hits for the BlueClaws.

The loss brings and end to the best start in Shorebirds franchise history; Delmarva had never started 7-0 before this season. The team’s best 14-game mark - a 13-1 stretch to begin the 1996 season - remains in the cards.

Small sample size alert, but Matthias Dietz has a 6.5, K/BB ratio though two starts. Last year he was at 1.84 K/BB.

This guy is incredibly stingy on giving up HRs, he has a FB that is hard to barrel. If he can improve his K/BB profile, he's a legit prospect.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Small sample size alert, but Matthias Dietz has a 6.5, K/BB ratio though two starts. Last year he was at 1.84 K/BB.

This guy is incredibly stingy on giving up HRs, he has a FB that is hard to barrel. If he can improve his K/BB profile, he's a legit prospect.

I know it's too soon to rule him out as a starter, but if he is made a reliver, do you think he has closer potential - or at least 7th inning  potential?  I'm starting to think that he and Akin will make a formidable righty/lefty power combo at the back end of the pen in a couple of years.  

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

An amazing stat from last nights game. The three Shorebird pitchers made only 100 pitches in their combined nine innings. With a efficient 83 strikes, no walks, and 10 strike outs.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Will we be getting a report from the Lowther / DL Hall doubleheader in Hagerstown tomorrow?

I hope someone attends. 

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Will we be getting a report from the Lowther / DL Hall doubleheader in Hagerstown tomorrow?

Three games in 17 hours with a high temperature of 43 degrees.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Wish I could be there.

Starting today I’m on a stretch of 11 twelve hour shifts in 12 days, so unfortunately I won’t be there. We had a guy unexpectedly leave at my work and I’ll going to have to cover a bunch of his shifts until a replacement is hired and trained.

So it’ll be mostly video reports from me for a bit. 

37 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Wish I could be there.

Starting today I’m on a stretch of 11 twelve hour shifts in 12 days, so unfortunately I won’t be there. We had a guy unexpectedly leave at my work and I’ll going to have to cover a bunch of his shifts until a replacement is hired and trained.

So it’ll be mostly video reports from me for a bit. 

That's some poop