Bahama O's Fan

Any Clarity on Last Night's Sanchez/Stanton Situation

Has MLB come out to say if Buck was correct and the umps were wrong? Would they ever do that? Did they come out and try to give an explanation as to why they thought the umps were right?

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Has MLB come out to say if Buck was correct and the umps were wrong? Would they ever do that? Did they come out and try to give an explanation as to why they thought the umps were right?

Crew Chief Meals said 

Meals concurred with Showalter. "Sanchez should have been out automatically for passing Stanton," he said. "Then, Stanton had the right to come back and touch third before being tagged or be called out for abandoning his effort."

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/pedro-alvarez-grand-slam-beats-yanks-in-14th/c-271107076

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, foxfield said:

Multiple places have said yes, Buck was correct.  Ill post a link

I like that Buck knew.  I think it is hilarious that Boone thought there was a rule against a pitcher blocking the plate. 

• Upvote 1

See this bothers me so much because Buck came out, told them the rule, I assume. They then had a conference about it and still ruled wrong. They had the opportunity to get it right on the field and did not. That's what ticks me off. If Buck would have said something after the game and they would have come out and agreed that's one thing, but you knew at that moment and did nothing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

See this bothers me so much because Buck came out, told them the rule, I assume. They then had a conference about it and still ruled wrong. They had the opportunity to get it right on the field and did not. That's what ticks me off. If Buck would have said something after the game and they would have come out and agreed that's one thing, but you knew at that moment and did nothing.

I've seen Hank Bauer march onto the field with the rule book and have the call corrected, and I've seen Earl Weaver tear up the rule book and throw it on the field. Umpires do what they think is right, but they are not always right.

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I've seen Hank Bauer march onto the field with the rule book and have the call corrected, and I've seen Earl Weaver tear up the rule book and throw it on the field. Umpires do what they think is right, but they are not always right.

Do they? Do you think sometimes it's a pride thing? We called it this way and don't want to look foolish reversing it? Can't have it look like someone else knows the rules better than us during a game?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Do they? Do you think sometimes it's a pride thing? We called it this way and don't want to look foolish reversing it? Can't have it look like someone else knows the rules better than us during a game?

I can't read anyone's mind. Can you?

14 minutes ago, weams said:

I like that Buck knew.  I think it is hilarious that Boone thought there was a rule against a pitcher blocking the plate. 

Yes I chuckled reading that on ESPN. 

I liked that Buck knew also.  But Bahama, I don't want to make too much of it...it's a technicality and yes they got it wrong.  They also admitted it and that is human and part of the game.  It's  not Jeffrey Maier, where six guys couldn't correct something obvious.  They did not know at that moment.  That would mean they intentionally got it wrong.

The only real question is this...Buck came out presented the rule and they disagreed...now, that could have been they disagreed with Buck's understanding of the rule or it could have been they did not agree with the play and how the rule should be applied.  But they got it wrong on the field and still the O's won.

Hey who wants to fire Buck?  Anyone think the team is lost still?

Buck is a nugget.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Bahama O's Fan said:

No, that's why there is no certainty. It's why I asked "Do you THINK", not "Do you know"

I think people are people and do all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Hey who wants to fire Buck?  Anyone think the team is lost still?

Buck is a nugget.

Sure, there are trolls that always do. Or fans of other teams. 

Did Buck protest?  I watched a cut up that had each broadcast breaking down the play, and that was asked by one of the Yankees broadcasters.

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Sure, there are trolls that always do. Or fans of other teams

Truer words have never been spoken.

• Upvote 1

Just now, backwardsk said:

Did Buck protest?  I watched a cut up that had each broadcast breaking down the play, and that was asked by one of the Yankees broadcasters.

I think I heard it mentioned and became moot once the side was out without a score.