Bahama O's Fan

Any Clarity on Last Night's Sanchez/Stanton Situation

1 hour ago, weams said:

I like that Buck knew.  I think it is hilarious that Boone thought there was a rule against a pitcher blocking the plate. 

I think having a rookie manager is going to cost the Yankees more than once this year. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Buck said they went over this in spring training.    Semper paratus.

It seems like an odd rule a player would just happen to know.   Have to credit Joseph with remembering it.  I dont every player would remember that.   But I guess it depends on how much they went over it and practiced it.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I honestly don't know if he KNEW he could block the plate, he may have, but I think what he knew was that he HAD to block the plate to stop the runner from scoring. Great athletic play by Givens and Joseph.

As a former shortstop, Givens probably instinctively used to blocking/tagging at second.   Like Schoop. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, drjohnnyfeva said:

And there's nothing at all wrong with hoping the cylinders in NY are out of sync...:D

There would be something seriously wrong if that wasnt hoped for.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I think having a rookie manager is going to cost the Yankees more than once this year. 

One of the NY writers was on and said they wanted Boone because he is better with the media then Girardi. We shall see about his managing . So far Yankees have had injuries and a bad bullpen and slumps. Long season could change on a dime.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

See this bothers me so much because Buck came out, told them the rule, I assume. They then had a conference about it and still ruled wrong. They had the opportunity to get it right on the field and did not. That's what ticks me off. If Buck would have said something after the game and they would have come out and agreed that's one thing, but you knew at that moment and did nothing.

When umpires don't know the rules then that's pathetic. MLB needs to do something with their umpires if they are that stupid. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

When umpires don't know the rules then that's pathetic. MLB needs to do something with their umpires if they are that stupid. 

It appears to be an issue of union protection. Some umpires are excellent. Union protection keeps some that are not. 

20 minutes ago, weams said:

It appears to be an issue of union protection. Some umpires are excellent. Union protection keeps some that are not. 

That's just flat wrong. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

I like that Mychal Givens knew that he could block that plate as well. 

I thought it was legal because he was going for the ball, no thought involved. Also, if he doesn't block it the game is over so you might as well try. 

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

One of the NY writers was on and said they wanted Boone because he is better with the media then Girardi. We shall see about his managing . So far Yankees have had injuries and a bad bullpen and slumps. Long season could change on a dime.

Hard clubhouse to manage potentially given the media furors. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I thought it was legal because he was going for the ball, no thought involved. Also, if he doesn't block it the game is over so you might as well try. 

It seemed that way to me too. Also, it is quite a different situation than a catcher blocking the plate...the catcher, will have the play in front of him, the pitcher does not, therefore he can't adjust without potentially blocking the plate. Pitchers are in a very dangerous position on such plays. I can't tell you how many times in youth baseball I've seen kids nailed in such situations, sometimes because of the situation itself and more often crappy coaching.

I had to listen to part of the YES feed on MLB.TV since the MASN feed was glitchy this morning. The Yankee announcers went on and on about how great Buck was and how he is one of the deepest thinkers in the game. 

I am a huge fan of Buck and hope we keep him. I have found myself second guessing little things he does during the course of seasons, but taken in full, he is an A+.

7 hours ago, weams said:

I doubt coming from that family that he is a flop Or particularly ignorant of the rulebook. I do think he is overly reliant on the data not factoring external circumstances. 

Will be interesting to see how guys like he and Kapler are going to fare. Kapler in particular is managing like he's playing OoTP. He's such a brilliant analytical mind, he knows all the stats, he lives by the bible of Bill James. They are ready to run him out of Philly already lol.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

Will be interesting to see how guys like he and Kapler are going to fare. Kapler in particular is managing like he's playing OoTP. He's such a brilliant analytical mind, he knows all the stats, he lives by the bible of Bill James. They are ready to run him out of Philly already lol.

Kapler pulled Nola in game one and got burned. He deservedly got roasted, but that philosophy may serve him well in the long run.  But his terrible mistake in the opening series was calling in a reliever who hadn't warmed up.  That, and management giving up on future NL MVP Ryan Flaherty, has brought out the boo birds.

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Kapler pulled Nola in game one and got burned. He deservedly got roasted, but that philosophy may serve him well in the long run.  But his terrible mistake in the opening series was calling in a reliever who hadn't warmed up.  That, and management giving up on future NL MVP Ryan Flaherty, has brought out the boo birds.

And then he pulled the right fielder in despite a strong breeze blowing out which resulted in a triple.

• Upvote 1