DirtyBird

Keegan Akin 2018

On 8/18/2018 at 12:01 AM, Frobby said:

Yes, that’s wrong.      September call-up time counts.   

I do think the quality of play is better in AAA.    Lots of older players who’ve been in the majors and are trying to get back, whereas AA has players who may be as talented but are less experienced.   

What I'm trying to get at is if it costs the O's a year of their 6 years of control, and I don't believe it necessarily does.  Am I wrong in saying that?

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

What I'm trying to get at is if it costs the O's a year of their 6 years of control, and I don't believe it necessarily does.  Am I wrong in saying that?

Let’s say a player gets called up Sept. 1 and the season ends on Sept. 30 (as it does this year).   At the end of the season, he will have accrued 30 days of service time, not a full year.    So, you could keep that player on the major league roster for the next six full seasons.

However, the tricky part comes next year.    The player needs 172 days of service to get credit for a full year; there are about 186 days in a season.     So, let’s say you had a player without any prior service time at all.   You could wait 15 days into the season, call him up, and he still wouldn’t reach 172 days of service by the end of the year.   With hardly any penalty at all, you could keep the guy in the organization for an extra year.    But if you’d called the guy up the previous Sept. 1, you’d now need to keep him in the minors for 45 days the following year to keep him from reaching a full year by the end of the season, because of the 30 days of credit he already has.     

Hope that makes sense.    

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't call super 2 status hardly any penalty at all.  

I just mean in terms of the loss of playing time in the player’s rookie year.    Giving up 15 days of the player’s season to gain an extra year of control is hardly any penalty at all.    Especially if you’re not expecting to contend in that player’s rookie season.   

As to Akin in particular, I’d prefer to not call him up this September, start him at Norfolk next year and probably not call him up until June at the earliest to avoid the super-2 issue.   And later if he’s not pitching well at Norfolk.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Akin is the Eastern League "Pitcher of the Week."

I think he has an excellent chance to be EL pitcher of the year, in fact, I’d say he’s the clear front runner.   Leads the league in wins and strikeouts and has the lowest ERA of any pitcher who’s thrown at least 95 innings (Akin has thrown 130, third in the league and only one inning behind the leader).     I’d frankly be disappointed if he didn’t win the award.

• Upvote 2

By the way, another reason not to call up Akin this September: he does not need to be put on the 40-man roster until next offseason.    No reason to commit to burning an option next year unless you have to.   No reason to take up a spot on the 40-man unnecessarily.    Plus, he’ll probably end the season having thrown 145-150 innings this year at Bowie, after only throwing 100 last year at Frederick.    No reason to put extra mileage on that arm this September.   

• Upvote 3

I would be more aggressive promoting a player who will be 24 when next season starts and has dominated a league that generally favors batters, and I prefer to reward success.  But I see the points Frobby made - they're valid - but I weigh the other factors higher in this case.  For a younger guy, I might take Frobby's pov.     

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I would be more aggressive promoting a player who will be 24 when next season starts and has dominated a league that generally favors batters, and I prefer to reward success.  But I see the points Frobby made - they're valid - but I weigh the other factors higher in this case.  For a younger guy, I might take Frobby's pov.     

For the record, I would have favored promoting Akin to Norfolk in mid-July.    But they didn’t, and by now  there’s no real point.    As to the majors, I’d rather wait for all the reasons I gave.   

• Upvote 1

Akin has really put in an outstanding season at Bowie. My only concern is the walks. Would love to see that number closer to 3.00 than 4.00.He skipped Delmarva. I am okay with him spending some time at Norfolk next year, maybe even the whole year if need be. Give him every chance to develop and keep working on command and pitches. Hard not to be excited about this kid. I think he has flown under the radar somewhat in the shadow of Bundy/Gausman/Harvey.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Akin has really put in an outstanding season at Bowie. My only concern is the walks. Would love to see that number closer to 3.00 than 4.00.He skipped Delmarva. I am okay with him spending some time at Norfolk next year, maybe even the whole year if need be. Give him every chance to develop and keep working on command and pitches. Hard not to be excited about this kid. I think he has flown under the radar somewhat in the shadow of Bundy/Gausman/Harvey.

Let’s hope he’s the guy who didn’t get much hype but actually performs when he gets to the big leagues.   That would be a refreshing change!    I agree he shouldn’t be rushed.     Give him 10 starts at Norfolk, and if he’s doing well we can consider a promotion.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

At my first Baysox game this year.  Akin gave up 4 runs in 3 innings and we’re getting no hit.  I’m not allowed to have good things.  😞

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

At my first Baysox game this year.  Akin gave up 4 runs in 3 innings and we’re getting no hit.  I’m not allowed to have good things.  😞

😥

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Same here.  Been quite a show here.