Sign in to follow this  
Sanfran327

The Cooking Thread

18 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

There is pizza that is worse tasting than Papa John's!? What must that taste like? Wonder bread?

I think Papa Johns is a C pie.  Dominoes is about the same.  Pizza Hut is C-.  You can eat all of those and if you're hungry enough you can convince yourself the first piece is okay. You start regretting it after the 2nd or 3rd.

The Pizza Joint in Callaway is a D.  It's about on par with school cafeteria pizza.  Probably worse than you could do if you went across the street to Weis, got a frozen pizza, and then cooked it in your own oven at home.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think Papa Johns is a C pie.  Dominoes is about the same.  Pizza Hut is C-.  You can eat all of those and if you're hungry enough you can convince yourself the first piece is okay. You start regretting it after the 2nd or 3rd.

The Pizza Joint in Callaway is a D.  It's about on par with school cafeteria pizza.  Probably worse than you could do if you went across the street to Weis, got a frozen pizza, and then cooked it in your own oven at home.

That's a pretty low review of whatever that joint near where you live is named.  Still can't guess how it would compare to P.J. To me, P.J. is flavorless. There is no tomato flavor. The crust is rubbery. The only things in the box that taste like anything are the pepperoncini and the garlic grease. Indeed, the pepperoncini are the highlight of the purchase. It's been a really long time since I have eaten either of the following, but I put Papa behind 7-Eleven. And behind all the frozen pies I can remember having, too.

Over 15 years since last Dominoes. Way longer since last Hut...

On 7/29/2020 at 1:43 AM, OsEatAlEast said:

It's always amazed me that so many pizza places survive with average tasting pies. All you actually need to do is make a great sauce, or a great crust to stand out from most of the national chains. If you can do both you'd probably have lines out the door by mid day more often than not.

There have to have been trillions of dollars of revenue produced from regrettably bland food and drink.  Out of necessity or cost or alcoholism or just not particularly caring people will eat and drink almost anything.  For most of the past century the best-selling beers in America were also the most forgettable, bland or meh stuff you could invent.  From roughly 1920 through 1980 I don't know that you could buy a truly good beer in America.  Pizza is probably the same thing.  When all you have is mediocre pizza joints and no internet and limited travel you probably think pizza should be a 1" bread crust with bland sauce and flavorless mozzarella cooked for 25 minutes at 350 degrees (I loved my mom's homemade pizza as a kid.  Her recipe from the cook book called for baking the thing at less than 400 degrees for a long time.  I'm not sure the old ovens went over 450).  In 1970 "Chinese" food was mostly chop suey, invented in New York or San Francisco or something. I'm not sure I went out to eat anything besides steak or seafood until I was about 20, and that was uncommon.

Most of us probably take for granted that food culture and quality and choice in the US has improved by 10,000% in the last 40-50 years.  On Alton Brown's reloaded Good Eats he often remarks how his shows from 15-20 years ago need to be reworked in part because what was once a rare and hard-to-find ingredient is now something at every local supermarket.

(Edit: I just pulled out my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook from 1996.  Basic pizza recipe calls for 22 minutes at 375. When my backyard oven is done, possibly this weekend I'm hoping for 90 seconds at 800 degrees.)

• Upvote 1

A woman who lives in our area has been selling delicious fresh pizza dough delivered to our house for the last couple of months, so we’ve  made pizza 6-7 times.    Our method is to preheat a pizza stone at 475 degrees for at least 30 minutes, then cook the pizza for about 12 minutes.    It’s been terrific, though my digestive system isn’t always too happy once I go to bed.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

A woman who lives in our area has been selling delicious fresh pizza dough delivered to our house for the last couple of months, so we’ve  made pizza 6-7 times.    Our method is to preheat a pizza stone at 475 degrees for at least 30 minutes, then cook the pizza for about 12 minutes.    It’s been terrific

That's fantastic!

2 hours ago, weams said:

That's fantastic!

The woman who makes the dough had started publicizing her product on a local listserv as “Dough on the Go.”    Then somebody reported her to the authorities for running her operation without a license.    So now she only sells to people who already were customers and calls it “Dough on the Down Low.”

On 7/29/2020 at 1:33 AM, Beef Supreme said:

There is pizza that is worse tasting than Papa John's!? What must that taste like? Wonder bread?

I don't like Papa John's at all. Their sauce is too sweet. I like pizza sauce and marinara to be way on the salty side.

Give Dominoe's a C. Pizza Hut a B- (LOVE their sausage nuggets!) I'd give Franks (New York style joint here in Wayne'sBar) an A+++++++++++. Pretty much only get Frank's.

Oddly enough... There's a convenience store here in town (Turkey Hill) who have a really decent little 9" pizza. I only get plain cheese because their pepperoni has no flavor (or grease) at all. Still, surprisingly good little pie.

On 7/30/2020 at 7:45 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

There have to have been trillions of dollars of revenue produced from regrettably bland food and drink.  Out of necessity or cost or alcoholism or just not particularly caring people will eat and drink almost anything.  For most of the past century the best-selling beers in America were also the most forgettable, bland or meh stuff you could invent.  From roughly 1920 through 1980 I don't know that you could buy a truly good beer in America.  Pizza is probably the same thing.  When all you have is mediocre pizza joints and no internet and limited travel you probably think pizza should be a 1" bread crust with bland sauce and flavorless mozzarella cooked for 25 minutes at 350 degrees (I loved my mom's homemade pizza as a kid.  Her recipe from the cook book called for baking the thing at less than 400 degrees for a long time.  I'm not sure the old ovens went over 450).  In 1970 "Chinese" food was mostly chop suey, invented in New York or San Francisco or something. I'm not sure I went out to eat anything besides steak or seafood until I was about 20, and that was uncommon.

Most of us probably take for granted that food culture and quality and choice in the US has improved by 10,000% in the last 40-50 years.  On Alton Brown's reloaded Good Eats he often remarks how his shows from 15-20 years ago need to be reworked in part because what was once a rare and hard-to-find ingredient is now something at every local supermarket.

(Edit: I just pulled out my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook from 1996.  Basic pizza recipe calls for 22 minutes at 375. When my backyard oven is done, possibly this weekend I'm hoping for 90 seconds at 800 degrees.)

Yeah I guess when you go national having a sauce that you let simmer for 3-4 hrs doesn't quite pay off. Plus there is the fact that kids usually like things to be blander than adults do.

On the subject of beers as kind of a side note. I decided to try the Baltimore brand High Seas called Red Flag. First I got sticker shock by paying like $18 for a 4 pack. Then I got another shock when I tried it as it was almost as sour as apple cider vinegar except without the burn.

Good luck with the pizza oven. I'd probably set my pizza paddle on fire at 800 degrees.

Edited by OsEatAlEast

The key to a good pizza, is all in the ingredients.  Chain places tend to use cheaper ingredients, especially the mozzarella really makes all the difference.

For me Little Ceasers thin is pretty junky, almost public school system pizza. But, they sure seam to sell a ton of it by me.

Personally, I like Ledos, thin soft crust.

I do enjoy a good pan pizza from time to time.

I want to hit a couple of those Chicago pizzerias, and they take your pizza order at the door, and give you a pager, and in 45-60 minutes, you are seated to a table, your pizza is ready for you.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:25 PM, Frobby said:

The woman who makes the dough had started publicizing her product on a local listserv as “Dough on the Go.”    Then somebody reported her to the authorities for running her operation without a license.    So now she only sells to people who already were customers and calls it “Dough on the Down Low.”

Maybe this thought occurred to me because I'm in the middle of re-reading The Stand, but doesn't some little part of you wish society would break down and fall apart, and the people who call the authorities on you for selling pizza dough might have something unfortunate happen to them?

What kind of sick person turns you in for selling a few hundred dollars of homemade pizza dough?

• Upvote 2

On 8/1/2020 at 11:06 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

Maybe this thought occurred to me because I'm in the middle of re-reading The Stand, but doesn't some little part of you wish society would break down and fall apart, and the people who call the authorities on you for selling pizza dough might have something unfortunate happen to them?

What kind of sick person turns you in for selling a few hundred dollars of homemade pizza dough?

You might like living in Rwanda.

This is only kind of cooking, but I was roasting coffee beans last night and my modified popcorn popper started emitting a foul odor and some smoke that wasn't related to roasting coffee beans.  Disassembled the contraption once it had cooled off and the roasting/popping chamber had melted plastic oozing out of places.  So off to Ebay to find a used West Bend Poppery II, which is the holy grail of home coffee roasting.  If there's one thing I won't do it's go back to drinking my home coffee with beans some company roasted weeks or months ago.

• Upvote 1