Sign in to follow this  
Sanfran327

The Cooking Thread

I love steaks on the grill. Ribeeye is my preference.

I fix them 2 ways:

#1 - Marinate overnight in Sweet Baby Rays BBQ after I beat them with a meat hammer. After you cook the steak, they have a nice flavor, but not sure I would call it BBq.

#2 - McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning is a really good blend that I use quite often, even on burgers.

When eating Steak out

#1 - Longhorn Seven Pepper Rub is outstanding. Not ever on the menu, but never found a waitstaff that didnt know exactly what it was when i asked for it. I would love to buy this, so far havent seen anything like this.

I don't do steaks much, and don't have a grill or anything. I just do them in the oven under the broiler. I just coat both sides thick with Old Bay. Could put Worcestershire or A-1 on after (I love both and switch off depending on my mood) but it's not needed. Blood rare tyvm.

11 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Ribeyes for me too. NY Strips sometimes have that really nasty silverskin/cartilage down the middle.

Of course Prime Rib is king but who has the time and effort and $$$ for that?

12 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I fix them 2 ways:

#1 - Marinate overnight in Sweet Baby Rays BBQ after I beat them with a meat hammer. After you cook the steak, they have a nice flavor, but not sure I would call it BBq.

#2 - McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning is a really good blend that I use quite often, even on burgers.

When eating Steak out

#1 - Longhorn Seven Pepper Rub is outstanding. Not ever on the menu, but never found a waitstaff that didnt know exactly what it was when i asked for it. I would love to buy this, so far havent seen anything like this.

Choice 2 is the way to go. I like to add shrimp that's been marinated in Old Bay and lemon juice.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Choice 2 is the way to go. I like to add shrimp that's been marinated in Old Bay and lemon juice.

Im not into seafood, but, hey, its all good. :)

8 hours ago, scOtt said:

Ribeyes for me too. NY Strips sometimes have that really nasty silverskin/cartilage down the middle.

Of course Prime Rib is king but who has the time and effort and $$$ for that?

The strip of fat gives it the flavor.

A good T-Bone is also high on my list.

Not into Prime Rib for some reason. I know I know, comes from the same bull. :)

It isn't cooking but it is food, and heck you can make your own if you are so inclined.

Got a jar of black garlic at Big Lots.  Never had it before but had heard good things.  Just flat out sliced up a bulb and ate it.  Tasty.  Going to look for some sauce recipes that use it.  Shame it is a pain to make at home.

Has anyone tried those new fangled veggie burgers like the impossible burger? Old school veggie burgers suck, but I like tempeh burgers and I think a well done portobello mushroom burger is better than a run of the mill beef burger any day. Are those new things demonstrably better, or is it just hype?

On a side note, I was In Kentucky recently and was intrigued by how less meat oriented restaurant menus were. I was at  far from fancy places, although I suppose a tad hipster.. A significant chunk of their menus were veggie. And in interesting, creative ways. Not just the obligatory vegan item or slapping in some meat substitutes into the meat recipe. 

1 minute ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Has anyone tried those new fangled veggie burgers like the impossible burger? Old school veggie burgers suck, but I like tempeh burgers and I think a well done portobello mushroom burger is better than a run of the mill beef burger any day. Are those new things demonstrably better, or is it just hype?

On a side note, I was In Kentucky recently and was intrigued by how less meat oriented restaurant menus were. I was at  far from fancy places, although I suppose a tad hipster.. A significant chunk of their menus were veggie. And in interesting, creative ways. Not just the obligatory vegan item or slapping in some meat substitutes into the meat recipe. 

I'll eagerly try them out once they get the price down to that of beef. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll eagerly try them out once they get the price down to that of beef. 

Ha, that’s why I haven’t tried them! 

After they clear some rainforest to grow beets the price should go down.

Just now, Chavez Ravine said:

Ha, that’s why I haven’t tried them! 

After they clear some rainforest to grow beets the price should go down.

Wasn't a whole bunch cleared off recently?  😉

I'm more of a baker than a chef/cook.  My three most complimented dishes is a Peanut Butter Blondie topped with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting;  White Chocolate Cheesecake with a Dark Chocolate Cookie base; and A Double Chocolate Cappuccino Brownie topped with Raw Cookie Dough Frosting.   

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2019 at 5:39 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Just had some beef shortrib.

Twenty-four hours at 158 degrees.  Salt only, pre-seared in cast iron with ghee.

Worth the wait?