Sign in to follow this  
Sanfran327

The Cooking Thread

On 9/6/2019 at 7:21 PM, Chavez Ravine said:

Ha, that’s why I haven’t tried them! 

After they clear some rainforest to grow beets the price should go down.

Um, trees and plants will grow back. For that matter so will the Cows, lol.

Except for the couple goodies I posted this whole click is :bs: !

16 inch center studs are at 16, 32, 48... NOT 19.2, 38.4 etc...

924c52ed896d74f60433fa66f0c81e1775160157

The black diamonds that are printed on almost all standard measuring tape are called "Stud Finders." Its purpose is to show you the exact center between two studs on your wall. You can find the first mark is at 19.2", and then it repeats at 38.4", 57.6", 76.8" and 96" inches. To make it simpler, if you are sure that your home was built using standard 16" stud spacing, you can use these brands to find out exactly where the studs are. There is no need to buy an electronic stud finder!

• Upvote 1

Making hamhocks and beans. I had a large ham bone from Thanksgiving. Got two beautiful big ol' hamhocks from a meat market I didn't even know was here. Leeks, onions, carrots, celery and hearts, couple heirloom tomatoes, turnips, rutabagas, couldn't find parsnips, parsley, thyme, peppercorns, bay leaves. Here it is about 2 hours in.

Hamhock%20stock.jpg

• Upvote 1

Doing well 5 hours in. Took the meat off the bones. Put the bones and skin and fat and tendony stuff back in. I'm thinking about going a LONG time now. Cook the bones a LONG time, maybe 5 more hours. Heard Alton Brown this week say you should do a stock 8, 10, 12 hours. Have my beans soaking, fresh load of veggies cut up. Might go til midnight then strain it all off. Add the beans and veg. Cook for an hour-ish... Profit!

Wish I could get the marrow out but not sure how to break them up or without leaving little bone pieces in.

On 4/5/2020 at 7:19 PM, scOtt said:

Doing well 5 hours in. Took the meat off the bones. Put the bones and skin and fat and tendony stuff back in. I'm thinking about going a LONG time now. Cook the bones a LONG time, maybe 5 more hours. Heard Alton Brown this week say you should do a stock 8, 10, 12 hours. Have my beans soaking, fresh load of veggies cut up. Might go til midnight then strain it all off. Add the beans and veg. Cook for an hour-ish... Profit!

Wish I could get the marrow out but not sure how to break them up or without leaving little bone pieces in.

Band saw 

• Haha 1

The last six weeks have been my baking time.  A lot of baking needs extended periods of rest so stuff can raise, but you have to check in on it every so often.  Doesn't work great when you leave for work at 0630, get home at 1600 or 1630, and then go straight to soccer practice.  But now... it's perfect.

So I've:

1) Started some new sourdough starter maybe three weeks ago, and have kept it fed daily.  Bubbling like a champ.

2) Made pretzels about a month ago.  Boiled in real lye, which is the key to happiness in the universe.  Baking soda just doesn't cut it.  The Maillard reaction just doesn't get there, not alkaline enough.  Lye is as alkaline as it gets.  The package warns you to keep it away from children and pets and wear eye protection.

3) Then made a batch of bagels, also with lye.  They were great.

4) Make a chocolate cake.  Cheated with a mix that I'd had in the pantry forever.  But made the buttercream frosting from scratch.  It was so much butter that it teetered on the edge of gross/awesome.  I ate about three pieces over a week and had to get rid of it.

5) Baked three loaves of bread, one with the new sourdough starter.  All very good.

6) Day before yesterday I made a few dozen sourdough donuts.  Let them raise for more than 12 hours total.  Deep fried in the dutch oven. Dipped in powered sugar icing.  They're awesome, but I'll never eat them all.  The boys ate 2-3, the wife says she's on a diet and only had a bite.  Gave some to the neighbors.  So the other dozen+ are all mine.

7) Have made sourdough waffles and pancakes. Had the pancakes for lunch one day.  Brilliant.

9) (eight keeps turning into some emoji?) Made buttermilk biscuits one night, lard+butter for the fat.  Baked directly on some firebricks in the bottom of the oven.  Very good.

Good thing I've been running 3-4 miles or some equivalent combination of the elliptical and stationary bike every day...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The last six weeks have been my baking time.  A lot of baking needs extended periods of rest so stuff can raise, but you have to check in on it every so often.  Doesn't work great when you leave for work at 0630, get home at 1600 or 1630, and then go straight to soccer practice.  But now... it's perfect.

So I've:

1) Started some new sourdough starter maybe three weeks ago, and have kept it fed daily.  Bubbling like a champ.

2) Made pretzels about a month ago.  Boiled in real lye, which is the key to happiness in the universe.  Baking soda just doesn't cut it.  The Maillard reaction just doesn't get there, not alkaline enough.  Lye is as alkaline as it gets.  The package warns you to keep it away from children and pets and wear eye protection.

3) Then made a batch of bagels, also with lye.  They were great.

4) Make a chocolate cake.  Cheated with a mix that I'd had in the pantry forever.  But made the buttercream frosting from scratch.  It was so much butter that it teetered on the edge of gross/awesome.  I ate about three pieces over a week and had to get rid of it.

5) Baked three loaves of bread, one with the new sourdough starter.  All very good.

6) Day before yesterday I made a few dozen sourdough donuts.  Let them raise for more than 12 hours total.  Deep fried in the dutch oven. Dipped in powered sugar icing.  They're awesome, but I'll never eat them all.  The boys ate 2-3, the wife says she's on a diet and only had a bite.  Gave some to the neighbors.  So the other dozen+ are all mine.

7) Have made sourdough waffles and pancakes. Had the pancakes for lunch one day.  Brilliant.

9) (eight keeps turning into some emoji?) Made buttermilk biscuits one night, lard+butter for the fat.  Baked directly on some firebricks in the bottom of the oven.  Very good.

Good thing I've been running 3-4 miles or some equivalent combination of the elliptical and stationary bike every day...

A few things

1. Baking isn't cooking. 
  2. I miss being able to eat all the bread I want.
  3. This is the easy way to do lists.
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

A few things

1. Baking isn't cooking. 
  1. Cooking is preparing food for consumption.  So... you're wrong.
  2. I maximize the gluten in my diet, and pity those who can't.
  3. I was eight bullets in, I wasn't going back.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:
  1. Cooking is preparing food for consumption.  So... you're wrong.
  2. I maximize the gluten in my diet, and pity those who can't.
  3. I was eight bullets in, I wasn't going back.

Gluten isn't the issue.

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A few things

1. Baking isn't cooking. 

Keto?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gluten isn't the issue.

The carbs?  Trying to limit them?  That would be difficult.  I'm something of a fan of carbs, in all of their beautiful, delicious forms.  Meat, fruit, veggies... all great in the right context.  I do most of the cooking, and (somewhat to my wife's consternation) I don't often plan a meal that doesn't involve at least one of rice, pasta, potatoes, breads, etc.  My middle school aged boys have probably gotten 30% of their lifetime calories from mac and cheese.