Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MachoMachadoMan

Branden Becker 2018

Recommended Posts

I was completely unaware of this unheralded draft pick until he began to get some buzz during the offseason. Brian Graham and our own Luke are fans

He's raking to start the season in Delmarva. He'll play the full season at 21 years old, which would be old were he to stay in Delmarva. Could be a potential early promotion candidate? At his size I don't imagine he projects to be a power prospect at 3B. Potentially a strong super utility player down the line? Be curious to check box scores for his line this summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

I was completely unaware of this unheralded draft pick until he began to get some buzz during the offseason. Brian Graham and our own Luke are fans

He's raking to start the season in Delmarva. He'll play the full season at 21 years old, which would be old were he to stay in Delmarva. Could be a potential early promotion candidate? At his size I don't imagine he projects to be a power prospect at 3B. Potentially a strong super utility player down the line? Be curious to check box scores for his line this summer. 

Pretty sure he's playing some 2B and SS and has some athletic ability.  Why can't he find a home at one of those positions?  We will likely have needs at both over the next couple years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He could be another Steve Wilkerson (except for clean.)

Super utility guy who can hit. Is he a switch hitter?

No, LH batter, RH thrower.

If he has a strong full season, I'd guess they'll pick a position for him. I haven't seen him enough to say which is the best for him, although first impression was that he wasn't a SS long term. 

He's got more pop than Wilkerson, his approach is less advanced though from my limited looks.

He's more an interesting follow than anything else at this point, needs to perform and stay healthy over a span of time. He does have some tools though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Luke-OH said:

No, LH batter, RH thrower.

If he has a strong full season, I'd guess they'll pick a position for him. I haven't seen him enough to say which is the best for him, although first impression was that he wasn't a SS long term. 

He's got more pop than Wilkerson, his approach is less advanced though from my limited looks.

He's more an interesting follow than anything else at this point, needs to perform and stay healthy over a span of time. He does have some tools though.

I'll have to check him out. I liked Stevie and he had some decent pop and speed, getting a good amount of extra base hits and putting some balls over the fence.

If he plays well, but doesn't project as "just" as shortstop, I would think utility. Especially if they like Reyes and keep him at third and want to move Mountcastle to second.

If he starts getting some games in the outfield too, then I would think "super utility" and keep an eye on him for the next 2 seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'll have to check him out. I liked Stevie and he had some decent pop and speed, getting a good amount of extra base hits and putting some balls over the fence.

If he plays well, but doesn't project as "just" as shortstop, I would think utility. Especially if they like Reyes and keep him at third and want to move Mountcastle to second.

If he starts getting some games in the outfield too, then I would think "super utility" and keep an eye on him for the next 2 seasons.

Wilkerson just developed the over the fence pop last season at 25 years old. Becker has more loft in his swing where Wilkerson is a line drive guy. Becker will hit for more power if his hit tool develops enough to make a reasonable amount of contact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Wilkerson just developed the over the fence pop last season at 25 years old. Becker has more loft in his swing where Wilkerson is a line drive guy. Becker will hit for more power if his hit tool develops enough to make a reasonable amount of contact.

Wilkerson had it the year before too, but it was mostly from the right side.

Of course, the question to me will always be, how much did Wilkerson develop and how much was lab influenced?

I'll only be in Delmarva once, *maybe* twice this year, so I'll trust your MiLB.tv reviews on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Wilkerson had it the year before too, but it was mostly from the right side.

Of course, the question to me will always be, how much did Wilkerson develop and how much was lab influenced?

I'll only be in Delmarva once, *maybe* twice this year, so I'll trust your MiLB.tv reviews on him.

None, amphetamines don't make you stronger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Wilkerson had it the year before too, but it was mostly from the right side.

Of course, the question to me will always be, how much did Wilkerson develop and how much was lab influenced?

I'll only be in Delmarva once, *maybe* twice this year, so I'll trust your MiLB.tv reviews on him.

Wilkerson showed virtually no power the year before (2016).  He had 4 homers in 402 at bats and slugged all of .341 at 24 years old - almost all in Frederick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the Orioles continue to assemble their minor league coaching staffs, one name to keep in mind is former 17th-round draft pick Branden Becker.

Becker, selected by the Orioles in 2015 out of Cajon High School in San Bernadino, Calif., never made it past Single-A Frederick and retired in May after being assigned to short-season Single-A Aberdeen. I’ve heard that he’s likely to stay in the organization in a coaching role.

The expectation is for Becker to serve as a fourth coach at one of the affiliates.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/10/mancini-mysteries-and-minors.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...