bird watcher

Trey Mancini is going to trend up

3 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

He’s been locked in since day one. You can find slumps (statistical) here and there but he was 3rd in ROY voting two seasons ago and hasn’t dropped off since. He’s been the bright spot on the team for two seasons now. It’s exciting to watch him play, how he adjusts and his overall approach to the game. Also actually looks like he’s enjoying himself out there. 

Hasn't dropped off since?  He was replacement level last year.  Now he has rebounded but last season did happen.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

I don't care what anyone says, not every player has to be trade bait because we are in a rebuild.Mancini is a keeper. And he'll get better as he grows into his body...He's also a great kid who would be a fan favorite if he stays a while...

I like it.
We don't need to trade everyone just because they may not fit into the rebuilding rulebook.

Just now, orioles22 said:

I like it.
We don't need to trade everyone just because they may not fit into the rebuilding rulebook.

Pretty much you do.  Not like the O's have a lot of margin for error.

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hasn't dropped off since?  He was replacement level last year.  Now he has rebounded but last season did happen.

The absolute horror of a 26 year old falling back a bit in his second major league season while still matching his power numbers. 

3 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

The absolute horror of a 26 year old falling back a bit in his second major league season while still matching his power numbers. 

He fell back a good bit last year.   I think the way you worded your prior post (“he was 3rd in the ROY voting two years ago and hasn’t dropped off since”) isn’t very accurate.  An .826 OPS and then .715 OPS are not very close.    

However, all that is beside the point.    Mancini is at .925 OPS now, and if he stays in that neighborhood the next two months, he’ll certainly have decent value at the trade deadline.   

• Upvote 1

I agree with both sentiments here that he would be a good trade chip if his numbers stay up and he is a player that I wouldn't mind keeping and extending for the next 5 years. The bottom line is if you can get the right deal you have to make it for anyone.  I trust these guys that if a contender had a need for him they would try to extract maximum compensation for a potential All-Star player.  That to me would be pluck at least 2 top prospects from a contender's organization.  If not then you have a pretty good player who seems to be a great person.

• Upvote 1

We need to get Mancini out of the OF before he hurts himself, or someone else. He should play 1B or DH.

I say we need some players to be the core of the team for the future.  Generally I say trade the talented ones when in a major rebuild, but Trey is a rare combination of talent and human qualities that do not come along very often. I see him as the Face of the Orioles for years to come.  As for his sophomore jinx year, it was just that.  His huge rebound this year proved what I suspected last year.   No one knows why sophomore jinxes happen, bit it happened to me in 1956.   That was the only year in all my playing time that I could not hit a baseball.  It was a moral victory if I got it out of the infield.    One does not hear much about sophomore jinxes these days, but they are still very real.  Glad Trey has rebounded so good.  

2 hours ago, Natty said:

We need to get Mancini out of the OF before he hurts himself, or someone else. He should play 1B or DH.

Well I’m sure that is what Elias wants too, but we know why that hasn’t happened. DH might open up soon enough if Trumbo stays on the injured list. 

30 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I say we need some players to be the core of the team for the future.  Generally I say trade the talented ones when in a major rebuild, but Trey is a rare combination of talent and human qualities that do not come along very often. I see him as the Face of the Orioles for years to come.  As for his sophomore jinx year, it was just that.  His huge rebound this year proved what I suspected last year.   No one knows why sophomore jinxes happen, bit it happened to me in 1956.   That was the only year in all my playing time that I could not hit a baseball.  It was a moral victory if I got it out of the infield.    One does not hear much about sophomore jinxes these days, but they are still very real.  Glad Trey has rebounded so good.  

Mancini hurt himself sliding into the wall last year, he banged his knee into the wall out in LF. And he played through it. I suspect this hurt his hitting badly. 

20 minutes ago, Natty said:

Mancini hurt himself sliding into the wall last year, he banged his knee into the wall out in LF. And he played through it. I suspect this hurt his hitting badly. 

@Can_of_corn has a bone to pick with you on that notion.

• Upvote 1

I just hope Trey lights it up even more in the next two months so that it makes trading him a good option or it makes extending him a good option.   A great problem to have. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Natty said:

I agree here, its why he should be traded as well, if theres a good match.  His  best value is as a 1B/DH, maybe 1-2 days a week tops in RF/LF, and theres no room now for him at 1B, there definitely won't be in a season or two, unless our prospects all fail.  

o

(vs. GIANTS, 5/31)

NUMBER 11

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

JOSEPANTHONY MANCINI

o