Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cheecks

Gausman's velocity

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I wasn’t aware Fangraphs had movement data. Where are you seeing this?

I agree he is usually upper 90s out of the gate and I’m concerned whether or not it’s a different pitch or grip.

www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx playerid=14107&position=P&type=19&gds=&gde=&season=2018

Game logs -> Pitch Info -> H Movement/ V Movement.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx playerid=14107&position=P&type=19&gds=&gde=&season=2018

Game logs -> Pitch Info -> H Movement/ V Movement.

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that info was there.

However, it agrees with what I was saying.

2017 FB H Movement=-8.2 FB V Movement=9.6

2018 FB H Movement=-6.3 FB V Movement=9.4

So no difference in vertical, but 2 inches less right to left movement, meaning more armside tail.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that info was there.

However, it agrees with what I was saying.

2017 FB H Movement=-8.2 FB V Movement=9.6

2018 FB H Movement=-6.3 FB V Movement=9.4

So no difference in vertical, but 2 inches less right to left movement, meaning more armside tail.

You know, I think I looked at that data and saw two inches of movement and thought that was not a significant number, but I guess in the context of a plate or even a baseball bat, that's very significant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense for anyone without FB command to dial it back if they can locate it. Otherwise you're just wasting pitches out of the strike zone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/baseball/story/_/id/23115114/fantasy-baseball-why-kevin-gausman-breakthrough-likely-way

ESPN's top fantasy guy is still a fan.  I've read and listened to him awhile and think he's a pretty good analyst - this gives me some comfort.

Wow. I didn’t realize his first-strike percentage was under 50%, which explains a lot. Some good stuff in here.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Wow. I didn’t realize his first-strike percentage was under 50%, which explains a lot. Some good stuff in here.

Gausman actually brought this up when interviewed after his last game. He was frustrated that he wasn't throwing first pitch strikes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

 

(vs. TIGERS, 4/18)

 

In the 4th inning of today's game, Gausman hit 93.7 MPH, 93.4 MPH, and 93.2 MPH on 3 different pitches (all 4-seams fastballs.)

His fastest pitch of the day so far was a 95.8 MPH 4-seam fastball, thrown on the final pitch of the 5th inning.

In the 1st inning, those 4-seam fastballs were being thrown between 90.4 MPH and 92.7 MPH.

So he appears to be throwing harder as the game progresses. 

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

 

(vs. TIGERS, 4/18)

 

In the 4th inning of today's game, Gausman hit 93.7 MPH, 93.4 MPH, and 93.2 MPH on 3 different pitches (all 4-seams fastballs.)

His fastest pitch of the day so far was a 95.8 MPH 4-seam fastball, thrown on the final pitch of the 5th inning.

In the 1st inning, those 4-seam fastballs were being thrown between 90.4 MPH and 92.7 MPH.

So he appears to be throwing harder as the game progresses. 

 

o

o

 

The 2 solo home runs that he has ceded came off of a 90.8 MPH fastball (Jeimer Candelario), and a 78.2 MPH slider (Miguel Cabrera.)

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 2:31 PM, OFFNY said:

o

 

(vs. TIGERS, 4/18)

 

In the 4th inning of today's game, Gausman hit 93.7 MPH, 93.4 MPH, and 93.2 MPH on 3 different pitches (all 4-seams fastballs.)

His fastest pitch of the day so far was a 95.8 MPH 4-seam fastball, thrown on the final pitch of the 5th inning.

In the 1st inning, those 4-seam fastballs were being thrown between 90.4 MPH and 92.7 MPH.

So he appears to be throwing harder as the game progresses. 

 

o

o

 

(vs. INDIANS, 4/23)

 

In the first 3 innings, Gausman was consistently hitting 93 MPH and 94 MPH.

In the 4th inning, he hit 95.1 MPH and 96.2 MPH respectively on the final 2 pitches of the inning.

In the 6th inning, he hit 96.9, 96 MPH, and 95.7 MPH on 3 out of the final 4 pitches of the inning.

In the 7th inning, he was consistently hitting 95 and 94 MPH to the final 2 batters that he faced. 

In the 8th inning, he hit 96.4 MPH on his final pitch of the game.

 

o

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

 

(vs. ATHLETICS, 5/05)

 

In the 9th inning of tonight's game, Gausman threw a 98-MPH fastball on his 110th pitch of the game.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

 

(vs. ATHLETICS, 5/05)

 

In the 9th inning of tonight's game, Gausman threw a 98-MPH fastball on his 110th pitch of the game.

 

o

On the way home from Bowie and was listening to the radio. They were concerned with Gausmans velocity in the first few innings because his fastball was in the low 90's and even in the upper 80s at one point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

 

(vs. ATHLETICS, 5/05)

 

In the 9th inning of tonight's game, Gausman threw a 98-MPH fastball on his 110th pitch of the game.

 

o

 

 

21 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

 

On the way home from Bowie, I was listening to the radio. They were concerned with Gausman's velocity in the first few innings because his fastball was in the low 90's, and even in the upper 80's at one point.

 

o

 

In his last 4 starts, he has gotten progressively faster/stronger as the games have worn on.

Hence, I suspect that Gausman has a good handle on things in terms of his velocity.

 

o

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...