OFFNY

vs. RED SOX, 4/13

4 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

You do understand Angelos runs things. 

It is a great job being Orioles GM then.....make millions and have absolutely no responsibility and bear no blame at all...I wish I had that kind of job. 

I think it is an oversimplification.  The fact is nobody on this board knows exactly what Peter Angelos does or doesn’t do in regard to this team, because he ain’t talking.  It is all just speculation.   I think Dan has about as much discretion and power as any number of  GMs do. 

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Doghouse for missing the cutoff man the other night?

Fear of putting him in the spacious RF at Fenway or having to play the Monster in LF?

Obsessive devotion to Chris Davis?

I’m guessing doghouse.  You could play Santander in left field, leave Gentry in right and Mancini slides over to 1B.

Just now, tntoriole said:

It is a great job being Orioles GM then.....make millions and have absolutely no responsibility and bear no blame at all...I wish I had that kind of job. 

I think it is an oversimplification.  The fact is nobody on this board knows exactly what Peter Angelos does or doesn’t do in regard to this team, because he ain’t talking.  It is all just speculation.   I think Dan has about as much discretion and power as any number of  GMs do. 

Why do you think they had such a hard time getting anyone to take the job? 

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And in every other major league organization you would be right. But that's not how the Orioles work. A quantum computing chip has a simpler organization then the Orioles chain of command.

Tillman was using the Orioles facility to train. They had a better look at him than anybody. Maybe it was Brady trying to show how smart he thinks he is by fixing Tillman? I mean, look what he's done for Wright.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And in every other major league organization you would be right. But that's not how the Orioles work. A quantum computing chip has a simpler organization then the Orioles chain of command.

I realize that, but since we don’t really know which quantum makes this one decision or that one over there...I will blame the figurehead acting as if he is the guy in charge of baseball operations.  It is easier that way. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’m guessing doghouse.  You could play Santander in left field, leave Gentry in right and Mancini slides over to 1B.

Not doghouse.  No WAY Buck is putting a Rule 5 rookie in left in Fenway.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why do you think they had such a hard time getting anyone to take the job? 

Jimmy’s Seafood is at fault.  No lifetime crabcake offer. 

6 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Balls have rolled into corners in the OF and stopped and fielders have to chase them down as the runner circles the bases.

The interpretation of what being "lodged" in the ivy at Wrigley is pretty liberal as I recall.  It basically just doesn't have to come ricocheting off the bricks to be deemed a dead ball.

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Was MLB wrong too? They reviewed it.

They have been wrong before. 

I mean clearly the ball was resting behind the tarp. If that is not the rule then when else would it be accurate?  Is there a time limit. It does not say if the fielder picks it up right away it is a live ball. 

Lol.   Palmer knows the won-loss record of all the guys in the starting rotation of the A level Aberdeen South Dakota team he played for in 1964

And you know darn well he got them exactly right..

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Nestor Cortes goes back to the Yankees.

So we get $25,000 back?  Sweet.

Palmer mentioned 100 K. It might be 100 to claim, 50 back now.

Just now, Chavez Ravine said:

The interpretation of what being "lodged" in the ivy at Wrigley is pretty liberal as I recall.  It basically just doesn't have to come ricocheting off the bricks to be deemed a dead ball.

Look I am trying to have some fun with this but I do genuinely think they are wrong. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 192 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Clearly I am failing to get my point across. I'm tired. Have any opinion you want. At the end of the day, you have an opinion, I have facts. My facts state that Elias has dumped one player that became an impact player and he has not acquired any. Does that mean he will never acquire any? No.  Does it mean he missed something of that the technology may not always have the answers, incomplete. I like a lot of what Elias has done in changing things within the organization, but so far his talent evaluations of players he's brought in have not been very good. Grant it, these guys are waiver claims and few of them will turn into anything, but so far he's found middle/long relievers and utility guys or sub par guys they've run out as starters the last two years. I expect things to improve, but what we don't know yet is whether he will be given a budget to help improve the team in the future. Afterall, if they are really making coaching moves based on salary (I still don't believe this) then you can throw away any chances of the team being competitive soon so he will need to build completely from within. My hope was that Elias had the technological and scouting eye to find unearthed talent in other organizations. Instead, he failed to pick up Yaz's potential and the guys he has selected have not shown they are part of a winning future.  Sure, maybe we can give him a pass on Yaz, but he also hired the coaches yet the SF coaches in less then a few weeks found a way to make Yaz an impact player. The man at the top gets credit when things go well, but also must take the blame when they don't.  
    • I know Elias wants to know if he missed something in his evaluation, sure. Why wouldn't he. But I doubt he is losing sleep over this. Yaz was traded on March 23, 2019. At that time, he was a 28 year old OF with average speed, maybe an average arm, below average power for a corner OF that does not play CF. He's 5-10 178 lbs. and was no longer a prospect. He was slowed by injuries, often playing dinged up. Dan Duquette alluded to his injuries in an interview that I saw and stated he had struggled with his progression. He had never really excelled in AAA. He was behind Austin Hays, Yusniel Diaz, Anthony Santander, Ryan McKenna, Cedric Mullins and DJ Stewart for playing time in AA/AAA OF playing time. No one knew that several of these players would struggle with injuries and inconsistency, but they were all much more highly regarded prospects than Yaz. At that time, the only AAA OF he was more highly regarded than was Jaycob Brugman, and he was absolutely terrible. Elias decided to cut bait so that actual prospects could play meaningful innings and get the developmental at bats. No other team even thought so much of him as to take him in the rule 5 draft. Did the Giants know something? No, they just got lucky that this one panned out. They had no idea he would do what he has done, no way.  As far as the technology, it isn't something that will diagnose and fix every swing. It gives you lots of data, and it takes time, more than a few weeks, to work through any changes/adjustments needed. Obviously, Elias and his staff were not impressed with what they saw compared to the other guys. Then, Yaz was traded and something changed over the next few months in AAA for him. Great for him. Maybe he started to make good changes from what he learned from the Elias staff, but it took time to begin to show in games. That is often the case with swing changes, approach adjustments. Maybe it was the Giants who found something. Maybe it was something else, who knows.  Was he going to be the same player in Baltimore, facing the AL East? IDK, I would guess likely not. There have been many examples over they years of players who had impact careers out West and got traded to an Eastern team, only to struggle. Would it have been nice to see him do that here in Baltimore, of course. I just don't see why this has become such a hotly contested thing. Hindsight is easy to see clearly. His tools have never indicated this kind of production. There is not one prospect report that says he would do anything like he is doing.  I know you are pretty positive about Elias and Sig. To point to Elias's failure to produce waiver wire pick ups and minor trades into an impact player is incomplete, honestly, in COVID 2020 crazy season. He has no money to spend, and yet most of the ML team was picked up off waivers and minor league free agency and still competed on most nights. The final record looks worse than it was. I would say his record was excellent in the first half. Santander got hurt and many young players struggled badly. Solid approaches went out the window entirely.  Pedro Severino had an OPS north of .850 in July/August and he began to look like an all star (offensively), but he chased much more in September and his numbers faded badly to .250/.322/.388/.710 Jose Iglesias was an impact signing, despite the injuries and many at bats in the DH role .373/.400/.556/.956 Hanser Alberto is what he is a well below-average defender with little power, and he faded badly in September as well .283/.306/.393/.698 Pat Valaika was very good, I thought, for what his role is. .277/.315/.475/.791 Rio Ruiz is probably not the answer at 3B, but I think he gets one more year to see if he can figure it out .222/.286/.427/.713 Richie Martin will be vastly improved, he reported so much stronger than in 2019 and I think his injury robbed him of a breakout of sorts, the swing looked so much more fluid and quick in Spring camp. Ramon Urias might just make Alberto expendable, and I believe he will hit and produce better overall numbers and play better defense. Obviously, Dwight Smith Jr. was a failure. Early in 2019, he certainly looked like he was a certain upgrade to Yaz. The the injuries in late May, neck and shoulder. He has not been the same since. Most of the resources have gone into minor league and international infrastructure. To criticize Elias for the Yaz trade in hindsight, honestly it's silly. No one batted an eye at the time of the deal. Can we just be happy for the guy and not look for someone to blame? If there is a pattern here, then ok, there's a problem. This one baffles everyone because no one saw this coming. And where would Yaz play in our OF next season? Over Mountcastle, Santander, Hays, Mullins, Mancini...? 
    • Who are the #23 and #24 Prospects?
    • https://www.orioleshangout.com/2020/10/25/20-2020-prospect-kyle-bradish-rhp/
    • Back to the Snell/Fairbanks/Anderson/Castillo even numbered game quartet to try and set up Buehler (and Kershaw?) v. The World Wednesday night. The Dodgers have clearly dented the relief aces, but I don't look for any process change in Game 6. This feels like it should be over 4-1 but for the gods putting their thumbs on the scale last night - an excellent bonus baseball gift.
    • You a few others really are missing my point. I'm done trying to make it. Read what I wrote in other posts.
  • Popular Contributors