OFFNY

vs. RED SOX, 4/13

Just now, scOtt said:

He pays for bats.

I think they buy their own bats.... :confused:

I think teams compensate players who do.

Generally, major-league teams purchase bats for their players, though there is no stopping a player interested in trying something new from buying a dozen himself. Costs range from around $350 per dozen to moe than $1,000. MaxBat charges $1,140 per dozen, Johnson said. Cuddyer said Twins players place their bat orders over the winter with equipment manager Rod McCormick, who deals directly with the manufacturers.

Most minor-league players, even some high draft choices, use bats purchased and provided by the organization, commonly called "pro stock." (MaxBat began supplying pro stock for the Twins last year.) Twins third baseman Danny Valencia, a 19th-round draft choice in 2006, said he relied on pro stock until he was called up last June. "That's how it is for a lot of guys," he said. "I guess it's part of paying your dues."

1 minute ago, thatbearflies said:

tumblr_o1fhmvKbS01ql0k28o8_250.gif

Live look at me trying to stay positive about this team. 

I'm a positive kind of guy.

timothyleary.jpg

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

Schoop is about as bad as Davis this year.

I am not worried about him but we need to get him going.  

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I think teams compensate players who do.

I would bet lesser known bat companies gift players bats if they'll use them. Like using Titleist golf balls.

5 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

One good thing bout games like this. Dickheadson won't be sending runners who will get nailed at the plate.

Pfffft... Dickerson is a lightweight compared to Juan Samuel.  That arm whirled around so rapidly and often that the first base side of the stadium was five degrees cooler than the third base side from the wind gusts.

3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I would bet lesser known bat companies gift players bats if they'll use them. Like using Titleist golf balls.

Same article...

Myths and misconceptions
Bats manufacturers do not give away their product. Johnson said a "bat deal" means a player might receive a discount in exchange for a testimonial or a promotional consideration. MaxBat has no such arrangements with its major-league clients, which include Philadelphia's Jimmy Rollins, Jayson Werth of Washington and Jason Kubel of the Twins, but does have a few with minor-league prospects Johnson declined to identify.

• Upvote 1