wildcard

15 days in, fun summer or not?

6 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Angelos wanted like $4-5 a subscriber for MASN, and Time warner balked at it. 

w-masn.jpg?uuid=H3esTOZHEeGXOe75nF-yhQ

Here's the MASN Market for reference. 

Reading a bit more about it, this legal fight looks like it could go on forever.  

NC is a bad state to be for an O's fan.

2 minutes ago, Mendoza Line said:

Reading a bit more about it, this legal fight looks like it could go on forever.  

NC is a bad state to be for an O's fan.

It pretty much is going to be because that's how MASN was designed. 

Cashner is a good bit better than I expected.  I'm not sure where he's been hiding these Ks all this time.  I hope he keeps it up.  He almost makes up for the uneven (and at times putrid) offense that we've had to deal with.  We survived 2 weeks without Cobb with only minimal damage, so I think I'm half-full, but it's kind of borderline.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

13 games means nothing.   We had the best record in the American League in mid May last year, didn't we?

As always, there will be good stuff and bad stuff.   There will be players who surprise and players who disappoint.   It's just a matter of the proportion of either that will determine what kind of a season it is.

And as Frobby pointed out, one of our best pitchers has yet to pitch for us.

Early on, it's been enjoyable to watch Mancini continue to develop as a player;  Bundy has been fantastic;  seeing Sisco play quite a bit for the first time has also been good.   Anthony Santander is raw but looks like a player.

And some things have been very not-fun.   I won't re-hash them all because they have been discussed ad nauseum.

We know the team will hit better than they have so far.   It's just a matter of how much better and when some guys come out of their slumps.

The bullpen is a huge question mark so far.   In a small sample size they have struggled.   It's a concern.   But it is a small sample size.

Totally forgot about this. Good call. I know you can't exactly split seasons up this way, but essentially we were below a 70 win team after that point. 

I'm cautiously optimistic. Bundy has looked great, Cashner has looked solid, and Gausman had a decent start last night. Along with Cobb, I think the O's will have a solid rotation that can keep the bullpen rested and effective. If Britton can come back and do what he can do - the O's would have a better pitching staff than 2014.

I just hope the offense can get it together - and by that I mean situational hitting. It's amazing home many times the O's will have a guy on 2nd base with 0 outs and fail to drive in the runner.

This weekend series in Boston is huge. It could really bury them into a hole - or set them up nicely to reach a winning record during the series in Detroit. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not surprising considering how much time you spend around here.  ;)

I think some folks had images of him under-handing the ball to second the ways folks were talking.

I have never seen so many posters down on a position prospect about to make his ML debut.

It's the reverse switch hitting Jesus reaction.  

Instead of the perfect catcher....he is nothing.

• Upvote 2

I'm optimistic right now. Mainly, because our starting pitching has looked solid, even dominant at times. Imagine if Bundy continued his progress... KG rounded into form... Cobb does his thing... Cashner has a solid year... And then Harvey joins the rotation sometime next season... Rotation could be good for a while. 

The offense will come around, eventually. Trumbo will be back soon. Santander has looked promising at times. I'm not too worried about the offense. I think we'll see Mancini progress... Cisco should add some pop eventually... 

The bullpen could still be great... Britton comes back... O'Day has looked excellent at times... Givens will get straightened out, most likely... 

All that said, we could surprise some people and make the playoffs... or we could be horrid. Still a bit early to tell. 

Watching Hays, Sisco and Harvey emerge as the new core in the second half of the season will be fun. Depending on the prospects they bring back, the trades of Machado, Schoop, Britton, Brach and Gausman could be fun to watch as well.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, OsLuvrInKy said:

I think it had to do with the Red's being just to the north. When my late wife and I moved there she made sure we had MASN as part of our bundle. However when we sat down to watch a game we got a notice about the game being a blackout.  I am sure I could have subscribed to a package somewhere but shortly thereafter life went to hell in a handbasket and funds were just to tight. My wife lost her fight with cancer in Jan 2015. Kentucky, though beautiful was not the same so I moved back to Md. Now I get to watch/listen to my Orioles all the time now. 

Sorry about your wife.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Watching Hays, Sisco and Harvey emerge as the new core in the second half of the season will be fun. Depending on the prospects they bring back, the trades of Machado, Schoop, Britton, Brach and Gausman could be fun to watch as well.

None of those guys are getting traded this year, no chance imo. They stayed on the we can compete course, and the time to trade them is long gone.

I am fairly optimistic.  The hitting has to get better; Mancini is making hard contact, Schoop will start hitting, etc.  The bullpen is starting to take shape and Britton is back in June hopefully.  The most positive thing about this team has been the starting pitching which was obviously the biggest question mark coming into the season.  Maybe some of the young guys (Harvey, Hays, Stewart, Scott) come up and produce.  This team will have to commit to benching or removing Trumbo and Davis though if they impede the team's improvement.  If Cobb, Cashner, Bundy, and Gausman can be solid, we can compete for a wild card with this team.

Even if the team is not in contention, I'll be paying attention in order to measure the trade market.  We could add a lot of talent to a minor league system that has been really impressing me so far this year.  Then I'll enjoy watching the young guys compete as we retool for 2019.

im very optimistic, the pitching is so much more improved then last year. Bundy will develop into an ace this year, and the offense will warm up with the weather. We will be good!

We have an outside shot at the 2nd wild card.  I don't think we get it though.  Still think it's something like 84 wins.

I can see this team just being  very streaky...good and bad through the summer.  A huge key is Chris Davis.  He has been abysmally below even my reduced expectations.  He cannot continue to perform like this and stay on the field regularly.  If Buck just keeps this out in the lineup through the summer, we are not going to be very much good.