Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Moose Milligan

2018 Orioles...if you could add one Oriole HoFer...

Recommended Posts

I think we do this every year.  If you could add one Oriole Hall of Famer to this years team...who would you pick?

Cal Ripken - 3B/SS

Frank Robinson - RF

Brooks Robinson - 3B

Eddie Murray - 1B

Jim Palmer- SP

Earl Weaver - Manager

 

I think for me, the obvious choice would be an in his prime Jim Palmer.  That was my gut reaction.  But after seeing how terrible Chris Davis has been, I think anyone who says Eddie Murray could feel justified.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

It's always about the pitching.   Palmer was the best we've ever had and I would choose him from this list.

I'd go with Palmer, like I said.

However, I'd be worried about how his stuff would translate to todays game.  So much emphasis is placed on k/9 rate and he peaked at 6.0 during his prime.  He always had a really good defense behind him and this years defense would be classified as average at best.

The Murray option becomes more intriguing to me because you'd have a gold glove switch hitting first baseman that has some OBP skills and some power.  I think that would be a big boost to our offense and defense.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread could be misconstrued to mean someone that's in the Orioles hall of fame. But since I'm pretty sure you mean the big Hall of Fame. I'll say Jim Palmer.

Otherwise I'd have said Mike Mussina. Considering how many of his contemporaries had trouble pitching in Camden Yards as an Oriole. With the likes of David Wells, Kevin Brown, and Sid Fernandez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we do this every year.  If you could add one Oriole Hall of Famer to this years team...who would you pick?

Cal Ripken - 3B/SS

Frank Robinson - RF

Brooks Robinson - 3B

Eddie Murray - 1B

Jim Palmer- SP

Earl Weaver - Manager

 

I think for me, the obvious choice would be an in his prime Jim Palmer.  That was my gut reaction.  But after seeing how terrible Chris Davis has been, I think anyone who says Eddie Murray could feel justified.  

Just because Murray is on the team doesn't mean Davis will get benched.  Davis at first Murray to DH. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just because Murray is on the team doesn't mean Davis will get benched.  Davis at first Murray to DH. 

Murray in his prime was a much better fielder than Davis is now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, clapdiddy said:

Murray in his prime was a much better fielder than Davis is now.

What does that have to do with anything?

Davis still has that contract.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

What does that have to do with anything?

Davis still has that contract.

I'm just saying that you could put Davis at DH and Murray at 1B.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, clapdiddy said:

I'm just saying that you could put Davis at DH and Murray at 1B.   

Sure you could.  Early enough in Murray's career I would.

Doesn't mean that is what would actually happen.

Now if the OP had said we could replace any one player with an Oriole Hall of Famer, it would be a more interesting topic.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure you could.  Early enough in Murray's career I would.

Doesn't mean that is what would actually happen.

Now if the OP had said we could replace any one player with an Oriole Hall of Famer, it would be a more interesting topic.

Agreed.  Murray for Davis would be a no-brainer.   Especially at his 29 year-old salary of around 1.5 M.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd go with Palmer, like I said.

However, I'd be worried about how his stuff would translate to todays game.  So much emphasis is placed on k/9 rate and he peaked at 6.0 during his prime.  He always had a really good defense behind him and this years defense would be classified as average at best.

The Murray option becomes more intriguing to me because you'd have a gold glove switch hitting first baseman that has some OBP skills and some power.  I think that would be a big boost to our offense and defense.  

Palmer's high fastball might have made him more like the aforementioned Sid Fernandez at Camden Yards now that I think about it more. Interesting to think about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • The .377 was a fluke.  But he did also hit .344 in the AFL that Fall, too.   Do I think he’s a potential .300+ hitter as a major leaguer?   Not at all.    But a guy who can play a solid major league CF doesn’t have to hit a ton to be a useful player.    His career MiL line of .264/.350/.387 would do the trick just fine if he could pull that off in the majors.    
    • I don’t think so.    I have a college degree and a law degree.    My wife has a college degree and two masters’ degrees.   All three of my kids have college degrees, from pricey private colleges that we paid for in full.   One of them has a graduate degree as well.    I totally understand the value of a good education (which is different than “intelligence”). But Kjerstad is a guy who chose to enter the draft before he’d finished college and take a pile of money to play professional athletics.    In my mind (and probably by contract), he’s obligated to give his employer priority over completing his degree, which plenty of players do without declining their professional obligations.    Now understand, I don’t think Kjerstad did this.   I believe he was unable to participate for medical reasons and decided to use the time to continue his education, which is great.    But I wouldn’t agree with it if he had simply chosen to blow off Fall Instructs to take classes.      
    • So now the goalpost is if makes an impact on his major league career the next season?  That's quite a jump.  I will say that one year of age when a player is making his MLB debut can hugely impact his future earnings. No one in this thread is suggesting that he shouldn't finish his degree at some point.  Also intelligence and education aren't the same thing.    Of course odds are very good that the speculation of him not being able to attend the camp and instead using his time to work on his degree is correct.
    • Yes, a player COULD benefit from the instruction league, even though its a fact that no one has ever benefited enough to be a starter on the major league level the following year, AND he COULD also be in an auto accident and not be able to play any sports. How much is the Instruction League going to help him then.  The topic of this thread is about the player, but the real discussion is about each Poster's value system . . . intelligence or athletics!
    • You must have seen a different guy than I saw.  He committed 4 errors in 9 games.  3 of those at SS.  From his minor league history I think he might have a chance at 2B but not SS.
    • I would say that's crazy, but after this year, I'd say nothing is out of the question.  The only thing they have going for them is they have a successful major league season under their belt with no deaths and limited interruptions (not surprisingly). Even if they don't want to have a season at all the stadiums and all the travel, they should be able to have a Florida and Arizona camp leagues like they should of had this year.
    • I’d say maybe yes, maybe no. He spends 4-5 weeks playing with and against other professionals, gets some coaching, gets some eyes on him and they give him a program for what to do over the winter based on that experience and maybe he gets some of his own ideas of what he needs to work on based on that experience.   That gives him a leg up on next year compared to not doing it.   If they thought Fall Instructs didn’t benefit players, they wouldn’t do them, right?
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...