Sign in to follow this  
Moose Milligan

2018 Orioles...if you could add one Oriole HoFer...

I think we do this every year.  If you could add one Oriole Hall of Famer to this years team...who would you pick?

Cal Ripken - 3B/SS

Frank Robinson - RF

Brooks Robinson - 3B

Eddie Murray - 1B

Jim Palmer- SP

Earl Weaver - Manager

I think for me, the obvious choice would be an in his prime Jim Palmer.  That was my gut reaction.  But after seeing how terrible Chris Davis has been, I think anyone who says Eddie Murray could feel justified.  

6 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

It's always about the pitching.   Palmer was the best we've ever had and I would choose him from this list.

I'd go with Palmer, like I said.

However, I'd be worried about how his stuff would translate to todays game.  So much emphasis is placed on k/9 rate and he peaked at 6.0 during his prime.  He always had a really good defense behind him and this years defense would be classified as average at best.

The Murray option becomes more intriguing to me because you'd have a gold glove switch hitting first baseman that has some OBP skills and some power.  I think that would be a big boost to our offense and defense.  

• Upvote 1

This thread could be misconstrued to mean someone that's in the Orioles hall of fame. But since I'm pretty sure you mean the big Hall of Fame. I'll say Jim Palmer.

Otherwise I'd have said Mike Mussina. Considering how many of his contemporaries had trouble pitching in Camden Yards as an Oriole. With the likes of David Wells, Kevin Brown, and Sid Fernandez.

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we do this every year.  If you could add one Oriole Hall of Famer to this years team...who would you pick?

Cal Ripken - 3B/SS

Frank Robinson - RF

Brooks Robinson - 3B

Eddie Murray - 1B

Jim Palmer- SP

Earl Weaver - Manager

I think for me, the obvious choice would be an in his prime Jim Palmer.  That was my gut reaction.  But after seeing how terrible Chris Davis has been, I think anyone who says Eddie Murray could feel justified.  

Just because Murray is on the team doesn't mean Davis will get benched.  Davis at first Murray to DH. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just because Murray is on the team doesn't mean Davis will get benched.  Davis at first Murray to DH. 

Murray in his prime was a much better fielder than Davis is now.

Just now, clapdiddy said:

Murray in his prime was a much better fielder than Davis is now.

What does that have to do with anything?

Davis still has that contract.

• Haha 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

What does that have to do with anything?

Davis still has that contract.

I'm just saying that you could put Davis at DH and Murray at 1B.   

Just now, clapdiddy said:

I'm just saying that you could put Davis at DH and Murray at 1B.   

Sure you could.  Early enough in Murray's career I would.

Doesn't mean that is what would actually happen.

Now if the OP had said we could replace any one player with an Oriole Hall of Famer, it would be a more interesting topic.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure you could.  Early enough in Murray's career I would.

Doesn't mean that is what would actually happen.

Now if the OP had said we could replace any one player with an Oriole Hall of Famer, it would be a more interesting topic.

Agreed.  Murray for Davis would be a no-brainer.   Especially at his 29 year-old salary of around 1.5 M.  :)

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd go with Palmer, like I said.

However, I'd be worried about how his stuff would translate to todays game.  So much emphasis is placed on k/9 rate and he peaked at 6.0 during his prime.  He always had a really good defense behind him and this years defense would be classified as average at best.

The Murray option becomes more intriguing to me because you'd have a gold glove switch hitting first baseman that has some OBP skills and some power.  I think that would be a big boost to our offense and defense.  

Palmer's high fastball might have made him more like the aforementioned Sid Fernandez at Camden Yards now that I think about it more. Interesting to think about.