Tony-OH

Why you are feeling so down about the Orioles

Feeling a little down about the Orioles? Maybe it's because they are 11-28 (.282) since September of last year.

But no worries, Buck will just talk about track records.

I actually am a bit sanguine.  Starters beside the ones I thought would suck have been good.  Waiting for Cobb and add someone like Feldman. 

I am not as down as I was last September. Cashner isn’t special but I think he will be better than what we saw last year. Looking forward to Cobb.  

Last September was brutal to watch. Need to see where we are at end of the month.  

Davis is tough to watch.  

Give Buck a break Tony for crying out loud. I would like to know how many games you could win with the pitching staff he has had. The Orioles are fortunate that Buck is willing to stick around. I would not have blamed him if he would have left at the end of last season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I actually am a bit sanguine.  Starters beside the ones I thought would suck have been good.  Waiting for Cobb and add someone like Feldman. 

Sure, that could help the rotation, of course that doesn't solve this team's ability to score without home runs.

It doesn't solve the Davis problem. It doesn't solve the Beckam problem. 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Feeling a little down about the Orioles? Maybe it's because they are 11-28 (.282) since September of last year.

But no worries, Buck will just talk about track records.

What does September have to do with this season.   13 of those losses last year came from Miley, Jimenez, Ynoa and Hellickson.  Those guys are not on this roster what we did in September is not related to this season one bit.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

What does September have to do with this season.   13 of those losses last year came from Miley, Jimenez, Ynoa and Hellickson.  Those guys are not on this roster what we did in September is not related to this season one bit.

Nothing. Re-read the post. I said you wanna know why you feel so bad. Because the Orioles have been playing .290ish baseball since last September. 

So if you were in charge Tony, would you seriously not bring Buck back next year to manage? The Orioles were an absolute joke before Buck arrived. Therefore, I won't ever bash him or put him down.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Buck picks his players. Buck said Tillman was better than last year and was part of the reason he was signed to a major league contract and given a spot in the rotation. He keeps pitching Chris Tillman.

He let Cortes make the team, (doesn't have an out pitch) and then put him in impossible situations. Buck has a lot of power on who ends up on his ball club. He helped put this club together including these horrid pitching staffs. He doesn't get a pass.

He asked for Davis to be resigned, appealed to the owner, and got him and now he keeps batting him in the middle of the order. He wanted Trumbo resigned.

How about his hitting and pitching coaches? Same crappy approaches at the plate from most hitters not named Mancini (Machado just has so much talent). Most of the pitchers have lost velocity this year and who is the last pitcher that looks like they have significantly improved?

Buck does a lot of things well. He's a very good in game manager (though his Ubaldo/Britton fiasco is one of the worse managerial moves in Orioles history) and he's class guy. 

Saying that, his fingers are all over the current situation. He doesn't get a pass like he's some 1940s manager who just gets players and has to just use them. He's part, a significant part of some very negative parts of the organization's situation. 

The hitting is the more alarming part of this year's team.  No consistent approach by O's hitters (except the ones you mention, and Alvarez & Sisco).  The batting coach and Buck must be held accountable for the hitting on this team.  They need to help players work on strategies, ESPECIALLY when they are in a "funk" (or whatever Davis, Beckham, Schoop, & Jones often suffer from).  If the players won't listen, then the GM needs to get players who are willing to do so.  I'm sick of all the swing and miss players this team has in its lineup day after day.

• Upvote 2

Just now, RZNJ said:

Buck fancies himself as a great talent evaluator but that might be his weakest point.

I'm thinking so as well. First off, you have to question any professional baseball person who thinks Chris Tillman is a major league pitcher. But I can go through a list of players Buck didn't like who left the Orioles and found success elsewhere. 

Plus, he clearly rather have "his guys" on the team then guys who actually have skill sets that help the team win. 

Buck has always had a time limit in an organization. There are reasons for that. Buck has done a lot for the organization, but let's face it, it's not working now. 

• Upvote 1

Pitching by the 3-5 starters have been abysmal so far. Offense outside of Machado/Sisco/Alvarez has been pretty bad and swinging at absolutely everything. They're averaging 11 Ks a game, dead last in the MLB.

3 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

The hitting is the more alarming part of this year's team.  No consistent approach by O's hitters (except the ones you mention, and Alvarez & Sisco).  The batting coach and Buck must be held accountable for the hitting on this team.  They need to help players work on strategies, ESPECIALLY when they are in a "funk" (or whatever Davis, Beckham, Schoop, & Jones often suffer from).  If the players won't listen, then the GM needs to get players who are willing to do so.  I'm sick of all the swing and miss players this team has in its lineup day after day.

If hitting coaches could change players they would make $25M plus a year. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

So if you were in charge Tony, would you seriously not bring Buck back next year to manage? The Orioles were an absolute joke before Buck arrived. Therefore, I won't ever bash him or put him down.

I would not have Buck back. I give Buck a lot of credit for bringing back some winning, but his fingers are all over this team. This is his team with his guys. 

Duquette is not perfect, but let's face it, when he had overall control of personnel and Buck just managed the Orioles were winning a lot of games. Brady/Buck have their fingers all over this current squad. They are a one dimensional offense that relies on home runs to score, their bullpen doesn't have one shutdown reliever, and they are starting a guy every 5 days who wouldn't be getting guys out in A-ball.

Besides that though, nothing to see here. Everything is hunkie dory.

• Upvote 1